Rolled Waggy

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
sierrablue

Rolled Waggy

Post by sierrablue »

Well yesterday I had an incident that involved a gust of wind, some ice, and a '71 Wagoneer at just under 70 mph. :o

Don't worry--I have no idea how but somehow the snow was like the perfect ramp--it landed on all four wheels, and I quite literally got out with out a scratch, bruise, or strain. I'm OK. Even the Jeep--I drove it home after it was yanked out of the ditch. I was the only one involved.

Somehow all of the doors seem to line up exactly as they did before. The windshield got totally destroyed, and I have no idea if the hole for the windshield is still aligned. If it's all aligned I'll get a windshield and fix it. If not it'll probably sit and I'll probably try to fix it eventually.

Anyway, can somebody with a Wag/Cherokee, preferably an an early one, that the windshield doesn't leak on PM me, and we can get some measurements and see if mine's still decent or not?

Thanks guys
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
sierrablue

Re: Rolled Waggy

Post by sierrablue »

Here're some pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

will e

Post by will e »

Wow! I am glad you are okay!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Thanks--me too. Any chance you could get some measurements for me?
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Also--if anybody has their windshield out, that would make it really easy, as mine is barely staying in as it is.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Wow glad your ok and the damage hopefully is minimal
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Thanks, Yeller. Driver's fender is all messed up and the windshield is obviously toast. Pass. side wiper arm got messed up, and there are some new dents in the roof/hood. I think the front roof support got bent too. But that just bolts in--I'm really hoping that the hole for the windshield is square still, or again if it twisted and came back.

With any luck it'll have some dents but otherwise be fine. I can't believe how little got damaged when I rolled it. It's like the absolute best that situation possibly could have gone. Which means I'm sure I have no luck left for my life...
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

letank

Post by letank »

Glad that you did not get your body messed up, with lap belt... you never know.

check the distance between the A-B-C-D pillars on both sides to make sure that the windshield A pillars are not too much out of alignment.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I have brand new (as of August) shoulder belts up front--that's part of what I credit to my being unhurt.

I'm 99% sure the BCD pillars are all fine--only question is the A pillar. Looking at it, I'm pretty sure it twisted and popped back right away but my dad doesn't believe me. We'll see--gotta get some measurements from somebody. Even if it is bent it shouldn't be TOO hard to bend it back. Just need an anchor, since we have automotive trailer straps. And the windshield obv has to come out anyway.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Need to pull the glass and measure corner to corner that will tell you very quickly. Door gap is another, if it’s still fairly even, it’s probably fine. I say fairly, lot of tolerance in these old Jeeps
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Yeller wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:54 pm Need to pull the glass and measure corner to corner that will tell you very quickly. Door gap is another, if it’s still fairly even, it’s probably fine. I say fairly, lot of tolerance in these old Jeeps
Yep. I'm going to get the windshield out and the front half of the headliner out, and the probably-bent roof brace. The buckle my dad is seeing doesn't actually have any creases in it, so I'm hoping/thinking that it's not actually bent. There's a matching raise just forward in the roof, and some dents, which I'm hoping are because of the messed up windshield being jammed in there (Did I mention that I think the only reason it's still in is because of the screws that hold the stainless trim on?), and maybe the roof brace.

The doors seem to line up with the drip rails exactly how they did (aka not super well), but there's a scratch on the pass side drip rail from the pass door being outside it and hitting it on its way back in. Opening/closing it, it doesn't hit now, which leads me to believe that the a pillar flexed (destroying the windshield), but then came back.

I've got a guy with a '70 1414X that said he could get some measurements for me, so we'll see how that goes. Only one way to find out how bad it is.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

So where exactly do i measure from that you want ?

Draw some lines on your pics a to b where you want measurements at ? Ill do my 90
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

candymancan wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:14 pm So where exactly do i measure from that you want ?

Draw some lines on your pics a to b where you want measurements at ? Ill do my 90
Will tomorrow--need to get my dad's truck back together so I have something to drive next week, then the Jeep can come into the main garage, so I'll be able to assess.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I woyld think you could measurd it yourself to see if its still square.. pop the windsheild out and measure from top corner on thr passenger corner metal to thr bottom drivers side. Then vice versa. And also measure from the middle top to bottom drivers and bottom passenger corners. To see if it moved or if each side is even ?

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Like this.. can you pop your windsheild out abd neasure at these points yourself to see if its even ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Those are all measurements to take, as well as a pillar to opp. b pillar and a pillar to opp b pillar. The bottom will be more or less right I'm more worried about where the top is.

But meanwhile I'm clearly not gonna be able to drive it for awhile regardless of the condition of the windshield hole. Top priority is getting my dad's truck to where I can drive it (and fix the radio in it ideally), the Jeep's not going anywhere. The truck won't take much--couple more holes to fill in my welds on the floor, gotta grind off the washer I welded on (for grounding), and then paint it top and bottom and everything can go back in. It's a regular cab '70s Ford so that won't take long. Carpet, bench seat, stuff behind/under the seat, and it's pretty much done.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Glad you're alright.

Yeah, a magnet and some string should tell you if it's square. You could also measure from the edge of the cowl to the top edge of the windshield to test if the windshield has been laid back on one side, ie the corner pressed in. I'd think it's ok if the doors open and close like before.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Glad your alright buddy. Seems to be a run of bad luck going around.

Something in the moon just isn't lining up I reckon.

Looks like the Waggy got off pretty easy too.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited
Rhino USA Brand Success Manager
South East Offroad Activist

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

tgreese wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:15 am Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Glad you're alright.

Yeah, a magnet and some string should tell you if it's square. You could also measure from the edge of the cowl to the top edge of the windshield to test if the windshield has been laid back on one side, ie the corner pressed in. I'd think it's ok if the doors open and close like before.
Thank you.

I didn't get it into the main garage today, but hopefully I will early this week. Finishing putting my dad's truck back together took longer than I anticipated, and while we COULD bring it up tonight, I'm not sure it makes sense to.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Harry Dawg wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:44 am Glad your alright buddy. Seems to be a run of bad luck going around.

Something in the moon just isn't lining up I reckon. Image

Looks like the Waggy got off pretty easy too.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Thank you.

Yeah I'm still trying to figure out how it all happened the way it did. It seems physically possible, but the odds...seems like you're more likely to win the lottery than to get that lucky if you have the misfortune of rolling a car. Even new cars with rollover standards are usually totaled if they're rolled...they're designed to protect the passengers, not stay in one piece themselves.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070