Body Mount Bolt - Need Help Please!!!

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
millerguy76

Body Mount Bolt - Need Help Please!!!

Post by millerguy76 »

Help please!!!

I was removing my body mount bolts from the cab tonight.The last one, was coming unbolted rough but I was still making progress. THEN it just started spining.

The nut inside the unibody rail must have broke loose. I attempted to keep pressure on the bolt and try to unscrew it but that didn't work. I worked at it for a hour and got nowhere.

This truck is a true survivor. I really really really do not want to cut into the floor. Just look at these original floors!!! There has to be another way...

Any suggestions please...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'84 Jeep J10 Laredo, 360

sierrablue

Re: Body Mount Bolt - Need Help Please!!!

Post by sierrablue »

Is the body mount not under that plug? Oh, maybe not, as I think about it more. But I thought it should be...

You may be able to get a pair of pliers in there, not sure. Otherwise you're gonna have to cut something.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
millerguy76

Post by millerguy76 »

The plug is back further. The nut is actually not accessible through that drain hole.
I'd be fine cutting the bolt and then lowering the frame. When I do that, how would I get the nut to say put after the fact?
'84 Jeep J10 Laredo, 360

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I assume its the front mount that is spinning? You could cut it through the side of the channel that the body mount bolt goes into. Slot just large enough to grab the top side and keep it from spinning.

You will need to patch it back up to keep the strength in place after you mount the body back up. And weld in a nut if you can. I have not seen inside that channel before, so I am not sure what the inside looks like.

Here is a photo from the TSM showing that mount from the side.
Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 8.31.17 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
millerguy76

Post by millerguy76 »

Thanks. I"m going to double check it with an endoscopic camera before I piss myself off even more.
I kinda want to cry when I think of cutting anything other than the bolt.
'84 Jeep J10 Laredo, 360

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

If it's like the Wags they changed the number of body mounts to one less at some point so the original access holes wouldn't have come out on top of the bolts so they didn't put them in. The recesses are still there in mine.

I used a hole saw above the stuck bolt and drilled down through the bolt to just under the tap drill size for the bolt. I got lucky and it unscrewed so the nut plate was reuseable. Could probably even have hammered the cage back into place to hold it but I took it out.

I'm pretty sure those were only intended to hold the nut in place on the assembly line. I doubt they cared about disassembly forty years later.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

letank

Post by letank »

the captive nut cage is loose... may be an electrical impact driver with something to trip to stop the cage from rotating!
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)