727 leak

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
SkylinePCG

727 leak

Post by SkylinePCG »

I have a 727 in a rig that mostly sits, and it has a slow transmission fluid leak. In the past I’ve cleaned off everything underneath with the intention of checking back later to see where it’s messy again, but the interval goes too long to be useful.

What I’m wanting to know is aside from the pan gasket, what other places can the 727 leak from?

Yeller

Re: 727 leak

Post by Yeller »

Shift lever, neutral safety/back up light switches, transfer case adapter and pump. Pump is usually easy to identify, it leaks out of the bell housing, however if it’s over full and sits for long periods it could be just coming out the vent, it’s located on the pump housing behind the torque converter. My guess would be pan or shift lever
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
SkylinePCG

Post by SkylinePCG »

Excellent, thank you!

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Most common leak on these is the shift linkage on top of the lip drivers side. If its in a wagoneer you can pop off the seats and pull the carpet back and take the inspection plate cover off the hump and get easy access to it.

Mine when i got my Jeep was leaking gallons a day.. litterally. Youll need to drop the pan for this anyway so might as well get a filter and some dexron 3 to do a trabs fluid change
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

letank

Post by letank »

SkylinePCG wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:38 am I have a 727 in a rig that mostly sits, and it has a slow transmission fluid leak. In the past I’ve cleaned off everything underneath with the intention of checking back later to see where it’s messy again, but the interval goes too long to be useful.

What I’m wanting to know is aside from the pan gasket, what other places can the 727 leak from?
Mostly sit... than it is the converter draining back and the extra 2 quarts are expelled thru the vent.... same here... if driven everyday no leaks... if it sits, after 3 days it dumps some real stains....

check this link

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... ak.644802/

When does it leak? I mean does it leak when it sits for a period of time or leak all the time? Mopar trannys are common to leak when they sit for a period of time because of convertor drain back, if there driven daily this usually doesn't happen. Hope maybe this sheds a little light or helps open up the beginning of getting you fixed.

of course the other reasons mentioned above are real too
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)