Soo new noise in my engine.. horrible ticking.

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

Re: Soo new noise in my engine.. horrible ticking.

Post by candymancan »

Another update.

I cant find snything eith the mechanics stethadcope.. my ears arent the best.

So i took a long oil filler tube like 16 inchs long. And listened around to try and find its general location.. When i listen down by the manifold.. Its loud there nearly hurt my ear with the loud tick.. When i listen on top where the rockers are. Its not there. I also blocked it off with cardboard to help with oil splatter and to kinda seperate the areas noise wise.

Then i used a rubber tube thats hollow versus the stethascope which isnt.. so i can listen.. and boy its loud on the 2nd bolt for the exhaust manifold. The oil running down from the valve covers being off i also see oil splattering from wind on tjat bolt.. blocked it iff from the fan.. still splatters..

Lost nearly a quart or so of oil with splatter doing this but i wanted to check the rockers and pushrods for noise.

Is it possible for exhaust to leak through a manifold bolt lol ?? Didnt think it was poasible for that... but it seems bolt 2 is leaking bad. Going to lwt it cool down.. brake clean it of oil.. Then im going to patch the bolt with puddy to block that leak.. and see if the noise goes away.
Last edited by candymancan on Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

If it’s not in the oil pan I would say definitely
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Found two more leaks on that drivers manifokd.

Patched thrm.. noise is 80% gone. Soo thrn it isnt a lifter.. thank god. Got my oil preszure sending unit. But i feel bad todsy.. sore nose and body aches/chills. I think the last few days breathing in my jeepz exhaust has made me sick..

Wanna know something funny ? Im using concrete dust mixed to make my patchs. I tried it on the passenger side leak ive had for 6 years. Because that expensive jb weld and other manifold puddy always breaks loose and cracks into 4 peices.

Figured hey concrete is hard.. can withstand these temps. And its actually working haha.. it sticks to the iron and seals up these leaks lolss.. i know silly.. but yea
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

1978J10REDWHITE

Post by 1978J10REDWHITE »

I'de remove PS belt, and listen for it, then when cold see if your fingers can tell leak air pressure OR if you can barrow a BOROSCOPE and look for the exhaust leak ~ carbon suit area would be best.