Soo new noise in my engine.. horrible ticking.

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

Soo new noise in my engine.. horrible ticking.

Post by candymancan »

Never had this prior to me doing the rear main seal. All i did was valve covers. Oil pan and oil fill tube i painted them and thats it minus the rear main seal.

Now i hear this horrible ticking im pretty sure its coming from the drivers side.

I cant tell if this is an exhaust leak or lifter.. it isnt there at idle..

Only if i tap the gas real quick its very loud.

Here isa video.. How could i suddenly have lifter noise from a valve cover job and oil change and a rear main job ? Is this a lifter or is this exhaust manifold ?

This is iritating

https://youtu.be/elgv9d_WxDE
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Soo new noise in my engine.. horrible ticking.

Post by Stuka »

It can be really tough to tell on video, but it sounds like an exhaust leak. Doesn't sound internal as it only happens when the throttle increases.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Post by letank »

high pitch, what about something rubbing? does not sound like my usual exhaust leaks.

lifters are more like a rasp... clacking, as a lower pitch

time to use a large screwdriver as a stethoscope to find the origin of the sound

As for your oil leak, if you grab the harmonic balancer can you yank it front and back, no more than 1/8, more than that your real main seal will leak -been there-

post edit: transmission whine???
Last edited by letank on Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

The tick itself sounds exhaust related. That whine is what drives me up the wall though--is that the power steering pump? If you drive it on the street, and see what it does under load you'll be able to tell. If it gets quiet when you lift at speed and is loud when you step on it, but RPMs haven't changed much, it's exhaust.

How is your oil pressure?
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Oh yea..the whine is the power steer I ng.. i hate it.. i got one from a salvage yard years ago.. as i was removing mine.. the trash guy came to my jeep grabbed the bag i had it in and tossed it.. i chased the truck down.. but all i got was 80$ from the company... pissed me off.

Yes it whines and leaks too.. i hate the whine lol.

Also yes seems it was exhaust as i was using my stethaacope on the valve covers i heard nothing in them. Nothing on the intake.. nothing on the block. Besides a little chatter.

But then as i kept revving it up and down to find it.. i saw smoke come out haha.. its on number 3 fairly large leak... damnit. Maybe he while brushing the head to put the valve cover on.. lodged the already weak falling apart exhaust gasket out.. the noise is only at load when im actually in drive driving.. or if i flick the throttle quick.. if i go up slowely progressivly. It isnt there

Damn this stinks. Im avoiding doing the manifold because the bolts on the y pipe are gone.. and the
bolts on my manifold are rusty.. i jist know theyll probly all break with my luck lol.

Sorry i was panicking with with loud noise... because i used a few shots of brake cleaner on the head and saw some go into the oil drains.. but it couldnt have been more than a teespoon.. which i doubt would effect 6 quarts of oil. Yes i put 6 in.

Sooo ill patch this leak and see if its gone.

Uhg do they even make new power steering pumps ??? Maybe its time i finally replace this noisy leaking pump for a 2nd time.. hopefully no trash guy takes my pump again (laugh).

Ill grab the balencer and try to push pull. Thx. Oil pressure.. no idea.. my sending unit went kaput 2 years ago. It just pegs at 80-90 psi. But prior it was like 20 psi idle in gear at 650. 30 in park at 1000. and 50-60 driving.

Actually tried to get a new sending unit today but no one had one. Mine is like a long cylinder. The ones they sell are short fatty ones.. I dunno if those will work ?

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

It's a standard Saginaw pump--not a big deal to get, parts stores have them as do various places online.

You might have to mess with wire length some on the switch, not sure, but pretty much anything with the right threads should work fine. It just makes a stronger/weaker ground on the block--nothing too special about it.

Maybe you should give in and get a high performance y-pipe and headers while you're in there ;) Assuming you have the funds that is.

If you do take it off, make sure you put a copper gasket on it. With the copper ones, if it starts leaking, you can simply retorque the bolts on the header, and it will seal back up, every time. You shouldn't have to buy exhaust gaskets for it again.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

okay if i ever get to that point haha thanks.

ya i have a oil pressure sending unit in my parts boxes with a round bolt end not a flat terminal like mine.. but i guess itll work if i cut the plug off and put a ring terminal on and a nut for the sending unit

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Okay i plugged that exhaust leak... noise is still there its on the drivers side... i unplugged cylinder 1 and 3... isnt 3.. but goes away at cylinder 1 when the spark plug wire is removed.

Soooo how in the heck do i have a tick from just doing the valve covers and rear main on cylinder 1.. i never had this before.. whats odd is i dont hear it in the valve cover with a stethascope... uhg i hate tracing noises.

Thinking take the valve cover off and running it with no cover to see if its in there. But i sware it sounds external its so loud. It especially gets really noisy if i lower the idle to like 450

And i noticed it started to develope when i drive the Jeep 40 miles.. how in the heck did i get a lifter tick from just doing a valve cover and rear main.. on cylinder 1... assuming now this is a lifter.

I put my fingers all over the exhaust there.. and i feel nothing.. HOW could this have happened from just painting the valve covers and doing the rear main lol i didnt even go near cylinder 1 besides to clean the surface for the valve cover.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Hope I’m wrong…… rod bearing would be my internet diagnosis :( :banghead:
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I got my oil pressure sending unit to work. And its reading 20 psi at idle in park 800 rpm. Driving its 50psi. But idle in gear at 650rpn its like 5-10psi... Wow.. it used to be 20 in gear and 30 in park.

I have another sending unit coming tomorrow as i thought mine was unfixable. Pegging at 80 for 2 years. But now i got it to work and my oil pressure is a lot lower than it used to be.

I also did find a big exhaust leak on cylinder 1 manifold. It was below/next to the spark plug. I plugged it with high temp silicone for now. But i still heared the noise. Which then seemed to go away from prolonged idling for 2-3 minutes.

I still think its a lifter now.. and this oil pressure sucks man.. i used to have great oil pressure.

No idea what happened to my Jeep.. i almost wonder when i cleaned the timing cover of oil to put silicone on the intake manifold to stop that oil leak there... If brake clean got into the timing cover and engine oil and it fckd my engine up.. i cant think of anything else because i never had this issue prior

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I mean, at least you have oil pressure? Did you change the weight of oil that you're running? When you put it back together, since you did the rear main, is it possible that something happened with that rear bearing, so now it isn't building as much pressure? Did you replace the oil pickup while you were in there, and it's not sealing up properly (thus it's starving for oil)? Or maybe the rear main is leaking so much that the pressure is going out the back rather than back through? Did you take apart the oil pump when you pulled things apart, and it isn't building as much pressure now?
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

No i didnt take the pick up apart. No oil pump.. strictly main bearing cap.. rear seal.. silicone.. 100ft lbs torque.. out pan back on.. and put 10-30 oil back in with a new filter.

I did have the pan off for a week or so.. but its in a building in the winter.. soo flash rust or anything couldnt have happened... humdidity is too low for that as well at 30%.

No idea man.

I did jist find that big exhaust leak on cylinder 1 though.. maybe its leaking under as well where i cant feel. Had two guys listen to it at the mom n pop shop. They said its exhaust. Its coming from the side near the exhaust not the top of the engine. Or valve cover they said.

Sooo maybe somehow coincendantly it just started to leak badly. I just have an odd feeling its the exhaust leak and lifter.

As for oil pressure.. yea that concerns me.. but i havent had a oil pressure reading in two years. So im not sure if itvJUST started to drop.. or if its progressivly gone down over the years.

I have a new sending unit coming tomorrow. I guess well see what this one says.

Im also using 10-30 normally i put 10-40 in. But ive never seen oil pressure drop below the last line at idle in gear before even eith 10-30

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well i flooded the carb push the diapharm plunger in the front so itd smoke. Its deff puffing smoke out the exhaust manifold on number 1... So i guess its just coincendaly leaking and ticking after i did my rear main ?

Uhg i dont wanna do the manifokd.. these bolt heads are so tiny and rusty.. its just gonna break just watch

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Thinking more, exhaust leak will go away without the plug wire on, fingers crossed.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Your best bet is to keep soaking it in penetrating oil for about a week before hand. I wish you luck.

The 10W-30 could make a difference, although I suspect the pressure has been consistently dropping.

I would get the exhaust fixed, and then see how it sits. With the lower oil pressure and such, your engine is probably getting closer to being on its way out, but if it runs and drives, I wouldn't mess with it yet. Probably stop investing in things to make it better for another 100k, things like the main seal, etc. Just my opinion tho.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Ya 150k miles.. ive babied it.. cleaned it inside an out. Problem is when i got it at 112k the valve covers inside were so full of thuck goopy sludge i could pick it up with a spoon. Oil pan.. same thing. Whwn i got it the oil filter was rusty... rusty... no one took care of this Jeep.

I cleaned the sludge as best i could... and when i did the rear main seal once 4 years ago.. i took 4 bearing caps off.. they were all in really good shape.. silver.. even foggy like they were bareky used.

This time on the rear main.. the bearing caps are still good. But cylinder 8 has 125psi comoression.. 1-7 have 150 when i checked a couple years ago..

Now the oil pressure is low at idle.. driving its fine 50 psi is perfect. But 10-15... thats low at idle. Hopefukly its just this old sending unit which hasnt worked right in 2 years anyway.

I guess ill keep the wagoneer parked in the shop.. and start working on the manifolds.. as much as i dont want too.. Once i fix that.. if i do.. hopefully this noise goes away.. and hopefulky my new sending unit shows oil pressure the same as years prior.

If not... i guess ill just drive it.. until its done. I heard these amc engines dont make it beyond 150-200k anyway.. and with the neglect mine had... meh.. i hate stupid people.

Maybe if its actually going downhill.. maybe this means.. hey.. time to get a engine crane.. pull the engine.. and learn to rebuild.. except.. build it better.. more powa.. etc.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Add some Slick 50.

Might get you another decade of driving?
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

letank

Post by letank »

After over 25 years our gauges are not the most precise, especially at idle. When your oil pressure will drop you will hear the drivetrain complaints... but in your case you have other parasitic sounds
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Ya my engine at idle i hear no noise.. Its fine.. anyway ive concluded its the exhaust leak.. ive used a stethascope all over the engine top middle bottom.. no noise. When i rev the engine im hearing the ticking outside my stethascope cups in my ear.. Only thing i hear from inside the engine sounds normal. The ticiing is deff coming from outside.

Had two guys listen they immediatly pointed at cylinder 1 manifold. And since its leaking there.. It just must have happened ironicly 30-40 miles after i did this work.

Still dont want to take the manifold off.. My other Jeep is having lots of issues too.. and id rather drive the wagoneer. Uhg.. oh well.. have a huge list if repairs for both Jeeps

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Took the valve cover iff.. all the rockers are solid.. no up and down play.. some side to side on a few but i read thats normal.

Theyre all pumping oil up good.. Tried flicking the throttle. I still dont hear the noise from these rockers.. it sounds like its elsewhere.. again when i losten with a stethascope i hear the lifters. But the noise itself sounds like its coming outside.. geesh man. This is annoying

I plugged the exhaust leak. And its still there.. uhg i wish i had better ears.

Maybe it is lifters and i just cant tell.. wish i had someone near me in virginia who could come over and look who knows more about this