Best use of floor space?

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
tgreese

Best use of floor space?

Post by tgreese »

Recently I decommissioned my solvent tank. I had not used it much in the past few years, and it needed new juice. Paint thinner in 5 gal cans at Lowes is more than $10/gal now, which played a role. Plus I built a new rolling table from some 1.25" thick plywood I had (96"x33" crate bottom) and I needed the space.

Floor space is at a premium in my 21'x17' garage. With one of the trucks in there, there's not much extra floor space. With the door closed I can walk around the front or the back, but not both.

If you had to choose between different stationary or roll-away tools, which would you go with?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Mopar_guy

Re: Best use of floor space?

Post by Mopar_guy »

Roll-away in your case. My shop is 24 x 26 so I'm in a similar situation. I have the bench in front of my lift as a roller and since I didn't have room for my solvent tank, mine is recessed in the bench top with a cover over it. I don't use it often but it's there when I need it. I buy mineral spirits for mine in bulk 5 gallon buckets from a local fuel supplier which is much cheaper than a store.

My welding table has my full size mig under it, tank and all and it rolls as well.
83 Cherokee Laredo

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Wheels are king for easily reconfiguring your space for the task at hand. So is purging, haven’t used it in years or no longer has a purpose take shed of the extra stuff. All words I struggle with lol, at least with tools, equipment and raw materials
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

I think it largely depends on the activity or more specifically the variety of activities in the shop. If only power train building and general maintenance takes place there may not be a need to change anything. Even with wheels it can be difficult to rearrange things simply because there may not be options in such a small shop.

Being able to simply pull things away from a wall for cleaning is a nice feature. Two axle mounted wheels in the rear and a floor jack under the front is an easy/inexpensive way to facilitate this.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

Yeller wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:59 pm Wheels are king for easily reconfiguring your space for the task at hand. So is purging, haven’t used it in years or no longer has a purpose take shed of the extra stuff. All words I struggle with lol, at least with tools, equipment and raw materials
I will add another suggestion to your list, that is not acquiring more stuff that isn’t part of the current activity.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Rollers for your tools and stuff and dont forget that you can hang shelves/stuff from the rafters. Any area above your head is storage space.