Center Caps

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
sierrablue

Center Caps

Post by sierrablue »

So it's looking like I'm gonna be putting the slots on here pretty soon. I know a lot of people really like the stock, can-like center caps. I don't mind the look too much, but on the '88 we had them held on w/RTV added to the screws, and one of them still managed to fall off. I have some ideas about putting a bolt with a flat head all the way through from the back, and putting an enclosed locking nut on the outside.

Like I said, I like the look, but I'm not a huge fan of the function. I realize the front has hubs sticking out anyway, but I don't want to go through snow that's over the tires and have to drag those center caps through the snow. It just seems like a bad setup to me.

Does anybody have any better options? A more shallow cap maybe? Could I just put the centers from the full wheel covers in behind the rears, and clean up+paint the hubs? I know the factory (they make repros now) Kaiser Jeep grille badges are about the right size--any ideas on tucking those around the rear wheels? Or since I have the AMC caps, should I just go with my bolt idea and be done?

Also I have locking hubs, so I can't make the center caps semi-permanent if I want to rotate the tires.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Yeller

Re: Center Caps

Post by Yeller »

3d print up something simple and clean
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909