Mirror options

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
thej10guy

Mirror options

Post by thej10guy »

What are people running for mirrors? I have 3 post mirrors on one truck and a different style of three post mirrors on my other truck but I am looking for single post mirrors and I am wondering what people who have these are using. I know some (if not all) of the GWs came with these factory and maybe some Cherokees and j trucks but I don’t know where to find them for reasonable. Image
I would like a style like this. I know universal ones would work, I’m just seeing if anyone on here has bought any universal ones and if so, what they bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1983 Jeep J10 Honcho SWB 5.3 4l60E NP241C viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22361
1979 Jeep J10 LWB (project/parts truck)
1989 GMC Jimmy (project)
Jeep Lover for life :fsj:

sierrablue

Re: Mirror options

Post by sierrablue »

If you want those ones, the 2WD ones we took off my dad's truck will work fine.

Just my opinion, since you've talked about towing and stuff with it, you should go for something bigger. The GW mirrors, if you're willing to do some work, you can use the base from it, and put a '90s Dodge or Chevy mirror on it. Single post but a nice big mirror. Personally I'd do the Dodge mirror because the Chevys have obvious rivets in the outside, which buts me.

Or, they're pricey, but there are these:

https://www.bjsoffroad.com/Billet-FSJ-M ... _1818.html
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
thej10guy

Post by thej10guy »

Yeah that’s a good suggestion with the gw base and dodge mirror part. I was looking on google and saw this:Image
It has jk mirrors and it appears he modified the base a little bit. I like this idea, but I feel like it would be a little too modern looking, so I was thinking about doing yj or tj mirrors because then they are single post, large, and easy to mount, and they are pretty cheap ($55 with free shipping for a pair). The jk ones are about the same price so I will either do the gw style ones/80’s truck ones or I will run wrangler mirrors. What are your guys thoughts/opinions?

1989 GMC Jimmy (project)

Kowpie

Post by Kowpie »

Just so you can see what the mounts from BJ's look like. The "look" is very subjective. Personally, I like them a lot. They are stout enough so you can actually see the reflection (some older mirrors vibrate a bunch) and they have that older angular look that our trucks have. You can even place the mirror far enough forward so you can use the wing for that wonderful blast of air that they provide. I found these white mirror heads (chevy) at a swap meet and have started using these because they match the plain-jane look of my truck. Previously, I had the chrome Dodge mirrors on it but they were just too shiny for my tastes. I hope this helps with your search.

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'65 Wagoneer, 230 OHC, IFS, Column Shift T90/D20
'73 J4000, 6000#, 258, T18/D20, 33", full disc.
'79 CJ7, 304, T18/D20, 35", 4.56, SOA, shackle reversal.

Kowpie

Post by Kowpie »

I forgot an important detail with these mounts. The post of the mirror is held fast by two socket set screws. This did not matter to me as my truck will never see tough wheeling with branches scraping along the sides but something to think about as they do not swivel unless you loosen up the screws.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

If looks are all you care about, the GW mirrors would be my vote. I don't hate the look of the Dodge mirrors, but I associate them so much with the Dodges that it just doesn't look right on the Jeeps. Also I'd want to polish the base on that to make it look more finished.

Also the '80s Jaguar XJ (ironically) mirrors will work if you swap the base for the GW base (some years you may not have to swap the base); stainless mirrors and a better motor design (you can actually get the switch for them!). So there's that option.

For your truck, I personally think the Ford style 2-post mount ones (you said you have a set of those I think) are the way to go on your truck.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
thej10guy

Post by thej10guy »

Thanks for your input guys its appreciated. I really like those ones from bjs offroad…that may be the route I choose, it is definitely high in the running. My only problem with those are the cost. They aren’t too bad, they are pretty reasonable, but a: I still would need to buy the mirrors themselves and b: I’m a teenager on a mediocre budget. I like the look of the factory style GW/ 80’s jaguar mirrors but I feel like they lack visibility, and since my truck will occasionally tow trailers, I would like the added visibility. And I like the look of the ford 2 post style mounts but I feel they are kind of big and a little gaudy. I also don’t want to drill more holes in my door than necessary. I’m kind of leaning away from both wrangler mirrors because they are very identifiable as wrangler mirrors. I don’t mind the look of them and I like the visibility of them though.

1989 GMC Jimmy (project)

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I mean, the Ford style ones can be kind of a pain, but at least (yes, they're stiff) you can fold them in, unlike the Dodge mirrors (if you tighten them down all the way). And to a certain extent, if you want those nice big mirrors, you're just gonna have to deal with working around them.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Kowpie

Post by Kowpie »

Hey J10
If you want, you can have the Dodge chrome mirror heads that I have, they are fairly new, just pay the shipping. That should help with the cost of the mounts from BJ's. Message me here or email me at gb3440@yahoo.com.

Topic author
thej10guy

Post by thej10guy »

Thank you for your input everyone. I am leaning towards the bjs offroad mounts with either squarebody chevy mirrors that my dad has or Kowpie’s dodge mirrors. I sent you a pm Kowpie.

1989 GMC Jimmy (project)

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Same mounts as Kowpie but with the Dodge mirrors. Mounts painted to match body, mirrors were black but repainted to same black as rest of the trim

(images are only showing up as "image" for me. Hopefully they work for you. if not, here are the links:
https://imgbox.com/O4xBzIVL
https://imgbox.com/nAWUf2K3
https://imgbox.com/KpM2kXhf
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
thej10guy

Post by thej10guy »

Nice rig @Jpswapmohn. I like the look of the painted mounts on there. I ended up ordering the mounts off bjs yesterday (along with $350 worth of other stuff) so they will be coming soon hopefully. I won’t paint them for now (because my truck isn’t painted yet). We’ll see if I decide to paint them when I paint my truck or not.

Ps, I love the wide track 4 door luck you got going there.

1989 GMC Jimmy (project)