How to get black mold off car paint ?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
candymancan

How to get black mold off car paint ?

Post by candymancan »

I have this black mold growing on my Jeeps.. and i cant get it off.. On my silver grand cherokee i jist rubbed it off with a washcloth and it came off... after hard scrubbing.

But on my wagoneer i cant get tgis crap off and scrubbing hard is scratching my black paint... How the heck do i get this crap off ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

sierrablue

Re: How to get black mold off car paint ?

Post by sierrablue »

A very soft brush and some Simple Green maybe? Really you need to come up with a chemical that will break down the black stuff w/o ruining the paint. All that's really coming to mind ATM is polish, but I'm not 100% sure that will get it off, and if you use too much you may polish through the paint/clear coat.

Nice thing about Jeeps, even if you're tall you don't see the roof too much, especially if you have a lift on it. And as long as you keep it waxed, it shouldn't rust either ;)
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I would try a clay bar.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Tried clay bar does zero tried s rubbing with a brush in a inconspicious spot..nothing.. tried simple green.. even bleach lol.. nothing.

So i got some meguirs compound polish and a cheap polisjer from walmart.. and it actually is aorking.. but not 100% i had to polish the hood three times. Snd go very slow and over and over snd over..

And it came off.. sbout 70% of it anyway but some is still deep in the paint.

God this stuff is horrible.. it came off my grand cherokee easy but on the wagoneer.. thankfully it wipes off the stainsless trim snd aluminum bumpers etc.

This polish is great though. The hood is newely painted within 3 years.. but the rest is 10 years old. And it was a cheapo paint job with some runs.. thankfully black paint you can get away with that.

But it started fading or oxidizing bad years ago. And i gabe up polishing and waxing my Jeep by hand.

Partially why i let this mold go so long.. but wow.. that compound and buffer.. brought my fadded doors back to life.

Check this out.. and my hood before and after... and no it isnt scratchs on the after.. just greasy hand smeers lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Glad it made a difference. Any updates? Did you put some more elbow grease into it or anything?

I had the thought--if you have a buffer that might make it go faster.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.