Project: On the road again - 1968 Super Wagoneer

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
dave.j

Project: On the road again - 1968 Super Wagoneer

Post by dave.j »

Jeeps are still very new to me, but this thread will try and track getting the truck back into drivable condition again. (And I'm sure to be filled with plenty of rookie questions for anyone listening)

Background: a friend (and big jeep nut) passed away a couple years ago and left me his 1968 super wagoneer, in an unknown state of repair, we moved it to a friend's barn to assess and hopefully come up with a plan, but I'd love any input of what you think might have been going on or what to check on.

Condition:

- It looks like there might have been a vinyl cover on the roof, but that had been roved and there is a hole above the passenger side. The headliner was removed also, but it looks like the backing is still needs to come out and be redone.

- We had a body shop come look at it and they think they could patch up the roof and any rust they find if we can pull the glass out and maybe the interior to protect it. They suggested maybe a rhino type of spray-on once it is fixed to provide a bit of texture like the vinyl did but not have the issues of trapping water and rusting out again. I kind of like the idea, and given I haven't found anyone here that would even attempt to install another vinyl roof, it might be our best bet.

- The right exhaust header and starter was removed, and there was a newer smaller starter in a box I think was meant to go with the jeep. Does this look familiar to anyone?

- The tailgate doesn't seem to open and had the back panel off. Is the key ment to roll down the window first, and then you open it from the inside? I can't find a tailgate latch on the outside lol. (I promised rookie questions)

- The steering column has a nice wobble to it, I didn't see anything obviously to tighten up, but maybe there will be something internal to tighten if I get the cover off?

It looks surprisingly solid and absent of rust, but
since I have no idea what I'm getting into let me just link you to the album which will probably give you much more info in a single glance than I could ever try to describe

PHOTOS: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EooHc5FZSwhkwmJU7

I am 100% open to any and all feedback on what you see. I'd appreciate any mechanical/technical guidance, as well as any historical or fun facts on these jeeps.

The jeep is at another friend's barn, and he's very mechanically inclined, so hopefully he'll be able to make sense of any suggestions.

I know there are a couple of things he recommended I start trying to find, in case anyone could point me in the right direction.

- Gaskets for rear windows and windshield
- Tailgate operation instructions/repairs
- Factory service manual for 327 amc
- Efi converion options

I'm located near Harrisonburg VA, in case anyone was close enough that wanted to come poke at it with us sometime.

Looking forward to learning more about this truck and thanks for any and all help!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by dave.j on Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thej10guy

Re: Project: On the road again - 1968 Super Wagoneer

Post by thej10guy »

Wow! What a great rig to start with! Seems really solid. Welcome to the jeep club, glad you found us. Just a heads up, jeeps are not cheap. But they are rewarding (usually). I’m not sure about anyone else on here but I like the idea you have for the texture on the roof. Seems like a good plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1983 Jeep J10 Honcho SWB 5.3 4l60E NP241C viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22361
1979 Jeep J10 LWB (project/parts truck)
1989 GMC Jimmy (project)
Jeep Lover for life :fsj:

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Have to open the window and use the lever inside the tailgate. Glass has to be down to open the tailgate. You can unplug the motor and put the juice to the motor directly if the switches aren't working but use long wires since the motor will be behind the glass when it's down. You need to support the glass as it comes out if you run it out with the tailgate open.

Bjsoffroad.com has the window and door seals and a lot of other parts. There's another company who's name escapes me at the moment that doesn't have the best reputation for customer service but has many parts. Several smaller companies also.

Oljeep has lotsa shop manuals, maybe even yours.

Expect rust under the carpets and around the windshield.

The column is a GM product. Lotsa info on youtube about how to disassemble to tighten it up.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Ditto on most of what was said above.

Only thing--I don't think it is a GM column--the '73+ is, but the Kaiser era looks more like a Ford column and I'm not sure anyone knows for sure what they are.

Could be loose on the bottom--there's a collar down by the lower steering shaft, you can take that loose and set the preload.

Did it come with the hazards switch? Should look just like the headlight and wiper knobs--on the Supers that's what goes next to the wiper switch.

Definitely had a vinyl top, and I would do that again, after the roof is patched.

Also the centers of those rear center caps are '74+, you'll probably want to go back to the Kaiser style ones, they're pretty cheap on eBay.

Sounds like I'm being super critical, sorry. It's an awesome rig, and I'm excited to see it come together.

I like the Defenders in the background, too ;)
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

The early columns are weird for sure. Some ford parts do fit, but not all.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I've been debating taking a wheel we have off a '70 F100 and seeing if it fits/if I can put the Jeep horn button in. It would mean I could put a round, 3-spoke wheel on; it would need to be painted white. I don't dislike the stock one though, and for
me personally I've gotta have the thin wheel.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.