FSJ One Ton steering upgrade

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

FSJ One Ton steering upgrade

Post by rocklaurence »

I'm finalizing my 1 Ton steering upgrade. I've been running the prototype on my J20 and WideTrac Cherokee for a while now to work out the bugs. However, I dont have a Narrow Track Wagoneer for testing but looking at the parts listing the Drag Link [from pitman arm to Tie rod] appears to be the same between the Wide Tracks and Narrow Tracks. Is this the case and the difference is made up in the Tie-rod? My One Ton Steering is a replacement of the OE links, has larger components, and all the rod ends are easily purchased without having to buy the expensive Long tie rod ends that are in the OE setup. I see that OMIX ADA is charging as much as $120 for the long Tie-rod only. My question above is: is the length of the Drag link the same between the NT vs WT? I'll post up pictures of the One Ton steering soon. It will be a little more expensive than piecing together an OE replacement but will allow owners to replace universal tie-rods at $50 ea in the future.

sierrablue

Re: FSJ One Ton steering upgrade

Post by sierrablue »

Pretty sure they're not the same length, unless you just mean the drag link end that threads in, then maybe.

If you don't mean the end that threads in, I can check.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Yes, it's only the drag link from the pitman arm to the Center Link. A WT [Wide-Trac] is 28./5" long. My Link is centered at 28.5" and allows 2" of adjustment to center the steering wheel.. If you could measure a Narrow Track drag link, that would be great.
https://rocklaurencevintageautoparts.co ... eplacement

https://rocklaurencevintageautoparts.co ... 20cherokee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHcgTL5PRzc

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I would not trust the aftermarket listings. You can look at the FACTORY parts books for '62-73 and for '81 up on the Tom Collins site. Last I looked, the '74-80 book is available on CD-ROM for a nominal cost. The factory books have some occasional errors, but are in a different universe from the aftermarket listings.

What book are you looking at? Certainly if the NT, WT, and J-truck are using the same part, the track width is not an issue.

Just an aside - this is for your business, and for that, I'd want to verify compatibility myself the best I possibly could. I would not rely on some second or third hand responses from relative strangers on the internet. Not dissing anyone here - just describing the situation.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I have the '74+ front end in the Wag, I'll measure it for you when I'm under it today. I also have the steering out of a J10 sitting out back; the adjustable portion of the drag link was cut, but I can measure the non-adjustable portion and see how that compares with the Wag.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Yeah, I agree. I was thinking that maybe the drag link is the same between the WT vs NT and the difference is where the Drag Link attaches to the Center Link [the WT center link being different than the NT center link]? That would explain why Ebay and Advance auto shows them as the same part #.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I looked at the 81J book and the parts for NT vs WT/J-truck have different part numbers. I only saw a listing for the '81-86 J10s, not the J20s. Seems reasonable that the NT and WT drag links could be the same, but the 81J parts book does not tell you much more than a different part number for each.

Possible you could search for the part numbers online and see what that gets you.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Sierrablue, any steering information?

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Any others able to measure their NT Center and Drag links? Tie rod [TR] stud to Tie rod stud. Providing the running lengths will give me a target to set the system in the middle of the links adjustments. The 1 Ton TR's have approximately 1.5" of adjustment for each while maintaining thread engagement. So, each link will have 3" allowed for any variations between vehicles.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Guys, a local FSJ owner replied with these NT measurements: Center link from TRE-TRE 51" and Drag Link TRE-TRE 26.5". Can anyone confirm these measurements or send me yours?

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Materials arrived for the NT steering today. I'll be mocking up a kit next week and I have a potential candidate to run it. This is a big deal for me because its all OEM and I can ensure that everything fits. Cause you-all know Rocky don't have any OEM Jeeps of his own to test things. :shock: :lol:
OEM-What's that????

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Also, to answer the previous quest of whether the links between the WT and NT are the same. It appears that they are not. The NT links are roughly 3 inches shorter.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Sorry, I totally forgot to post up my measurements. I got the same answer you did though.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

dyermullet

Post by dyermullet »

Glad you are making this. I had to have one custom made to replace mine that was worn out. Then I was able to use a normal tie rod end at the pitman arm. Would rather have spent the money on a fsj vendor. I am still running your hitch and was glad it was available.
83 J10

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

I can't wait for you to get this complete, since I havent touched any steering linkage yet, so hopefully I can replace that stuff with an "upgrade"
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Ill be putting the NT steering together in the next couple of weeks. After I get it test fit into a NT vehicle, Ill list them on the site.

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

I am going to need you to work on a WT please :D
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

akguy09 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:50 am I am going to need you to work on a WT please :D
The WT are available here: https://rocklaurencevintageautoparts.co ... 20cherokee

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

rocklaurence wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:38 am Ill be putting the NT steering together in the next couple of weeks. After I get it test fit into a NT vehicle, Ill list them on the site.
I couldn't set still. I have the NT steering built and will be taking it for install in the next week or so.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I sold my first WT steering system this week! I've gotta figure out the best way to ship these. Definitely looking like a round tube is the best route.