the move to FL

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
fulsizjeep

the move to FL

Post by fulsizjeep »

I left Colorado last month. My son in law came out to help the old man out. I am sure glad he did. He is an awesome road warrior. The week before Christmas, we loaded everything we could in a 10 foor Uhaul truck and hit the road with my cat. We took the quickest route south then east to avoid winter storms. We left on Sunday afternoon and arrived in Sarasota Thursday night I absolutely hate driving through Albuquerque, El Paso, San Antonio and Houston. We had a nice bypass lined up for Albuquerque. My son in law took on the driving through the insanity of those other 3. They are always under construction. Contrary to what some people belief, a trail ready Wagoneer on 35s can be safely towed cross country on a Uhaul dolly. We added ratchet straps to the front wheels to get it done right. It has snowed over 2 feet since I left and I have to say, I don't miss it one bit. I am getting too old for a snow shovel.
buh bye cortez.jpg
on the road again.jpg
sarasota arrival.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Re: the move to FL

Post by fulsizjeep »

It's been a busy time setting up the homestead. I'm renting a house from my daughter. You might guess that is why I moved. In a large part yes. She has 4 kids I get to be closer to. It's only a few miles to her house. On Tuesday, I finally took time to visit the Gulf of Mexico and get my feet wet.
BEACH SMILE.jpg
BEACH FEET.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flint Boardman

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Congratulations on the move!
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

will e

Post by will e »

You won't miss the snow!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Glad your journey was completed without any issues. That's a long trek!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

bigun

Post by bigun »

I had heard you had moved back to FL, I hear you on driving in ALb I avoid it every chance I can also!

ScottinTexas

Re: , to FL

Post by ScottinTexas »

glad to hear the travel went well, just had another friend move over the holidays from IL to Mobile, Al, his cargo trailer blew tires an hour from departure, loaded it all in a UHaul which broke down 2 hours from destination, luckily UHaul paid to tow it to his new home !

you'll have a beach buggy now, sand instead of snow !
Helping my daughter with her 1989 Grand Wagoneer 8-) :)

Blueman85

Post by Blueman85 »

Congrats on the move and welcome to Sarasota! I'll keep an eye out for your rig around town :) Send me a PM if you ever need an extra hand with something, I'm in Osprey.
1985 GW- 287k, 360/T727/229, AMC 20, Edelbrock AVS 1906, Edelbrock Performer manifold, Hedman hedders

letank

Post by letank »

Good to know that you made it. Trading cold for warmth is a good move, but snow for drenching rain... as long as you stay out of the elements.

I guess no Moab or Ouray trip this year!

That Uhaul truck has some potential, was it a diesel?
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

letank wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:43 pm That Uhaul truck has some potential, was it a diesel?
Actually a 4.8 LS. It pulled the load like a boss.
Flint Boardman

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Blueman85 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:16 am Congrats on the move and welcome to Sarasota! I'll keep an eye out for your rig around town :) Send me a PM if you ever need an extra hand with something, I'm in Osprey.
Thank you. Good to know someone else from FSJN is in the area.
Flint Boardman

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

bigun wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:23 am I had heard you had moved back to FL, I hear you on driving in ALb I avoid it every chance I can also!
State road 6 was a pleasure to drive. Looks like brand new black top.
Flint Boardman

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Lived in CO for 7 years some years back. Loved the mountains, snow, and low humidity. Not the ice.

Can we just have snow without the ice?

Wife & I bunked up with one of my daughters & family in Jan-Jun 2010, when our son-in-law was stationed in the Navy @ Jacksonville.

Beautiful in the winter time, but that summer humidity.......had more family here in AZ and high tailed it out of FL to the desert.

Much better for my health here.

Awesome to be close to the grand kids, but that humidity and I do not get along so good :/

Glad the trip was uneventful, and hope your time in FL is the best time of your life :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

So since you're out of the mountains now, does that mean you're going to drop the lift and tire size? ;)
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

devildog80 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:19 pm Lived in CO for 7 years some years back. Loved the mountains, snow, and low humidity. Not the ice.

Can we just have snow without the ice?

Wife & I bunked up with one of my daughters & family in Jan-Jun 2010, when our son-in-law was stationed in the Navy @ Jacksonville.

Beautiful in the winter time, but that summer humidity.......had more family here in AZ and high tailed it out of FL to the desert.

Much better for my health here.

Awesome to be close to the grand kids, but that humidity and I do not get along so good :/

Glad the trip was uneventful, and hope your time in FL is the best time of your life :)
I mean, it's ice or ice AND salt eroding the cars...I'll take just the ice I think. And if it's just ice, there are no random dry spots ;)
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I go to church every Sunday in Myakka Fl. However, Im looking to run from the humidity of Florida and go to Flagstaff. Im too old to be outside in the heat. Also, the only four wheeling in Florida is sand and mud. The mud/water eats up bearings. I live just a little North of you in Lakeland.

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

rocklaurence wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:20 am I go to church every Sunday in Myakka Fl. However, Im looking to run from the humidity of Florida and go to Flagstaff. Im too old to be outside in the heat. Also, the only four wheeling in Florida is sand and mud. The mud/water eats up bearings. I live just a little North of you in Lakeland.
One of ya gets away from the snow, the other one moves to the snow, albeit lots less. I guess it evens out.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

bigun

Post by bigun »

rocklaurence wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:20 am I go to church every Sunday in Myakka Fl. However, Im looking to run from the humidity of Florida and go to Flagstaff. Im too old to be outside in the heat. Also, the only four wheeling in Florida is sand and mud. The mud/water eats up bearings. I live just a little North of you in Lakeland.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH4Xxcfbgp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWvPb17lZ

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

sierrablue wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:14 pm So since you're out of the mountains now, does that mean you're going to drop the lift and tire size? ;)
N E V E R :lol:
Flint Boardman

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

There is a surprising amount of snowfall in Flagstaff. They get tons of visitors from Phoenix area in the summer, well, year round. As far as mud, I've done FL mud once. In the Everglades. Just once. I will miss the SW for trail rides. There's lots of sand in the desert. I'm not sure why I didn't sell the Jeep before I left. I guess I am attached after 28 years of driving it.
tres amigos.jpg
Flint Boardman