Jeeper from france

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
P.J.

Jeeper from france

Post by P.J. »

New on this forum, I have been a jeeper since 20 years. I had a 91 Cherokee 2 doors 4.0L (that have never been sold in France, used a 2.1L diesel body), 6" lifted, 33x10.5, winch. It was as on the picture below with a homemade front bumper.
But something wrong happened last summer :(
After this, I wanted to buy an FSJ Cherokee, but I didn't fund what I was looking for. As where I live there is lot of snow in winter, I needed a "new" off road vehicle and I fund a 2000 Ford Explorer for 2500€. As it is now with 2.5" suspension lift and 3" body lift:
I realy like the Explorer, but... I need a Jeep! Next summer I'm planning a trip to the USA (From Denver to San Francisco) and maybe I will find my FSJ.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Jeeper from france

Post by Stuka »

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your Cherokee :(

Definitely look around for any FSJ's for sale before your trip. We have had others from europe ask people that live here to go take a look at a specific vehicle as well.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Post by letank »

That is quite a bbq... sorry to see the carnage, what happened? Quelle merde!
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
P.J.

Post by P.J. »

letank wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:56 pm what happened?
I don't know exactly. All a saw is a leak of oil burning on the exhaust. Weather was very hot and I was towing a trailer.

Topic author
P.J.

Post by P.J. »

Stuka wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:58 pm Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your Cherokee :(

Definitely look around for any FSJ's for sale before your trip. We have had others from europe ask people that live here to go take a look at a specific vehicle as well.
Thanks, I will do that!
I already bought 2 cars in US: my wife's 65 Mustang and my 37 Ford convertible. I fact, except from my wife's daily driver, all cars in the garage are American cars! My daily is a 2012 Compass.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

P.J. wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:27 am Thanks, I will do that!
I already bought 2 cars in US: my wife's 65 Mustang and my 37 Ford convertible. I fact, except from my wife's daily driver, all cars in the garage are American cars! My daily is a 2012 Compass.
Oh cool! my first car was a '65 Mustang.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Post by letank »

P.J. wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:20 am
letank wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:56 pm what happened?
I don't know exactly. All a saw is a leak of oil burning on the exhaust. Weather was very hot and I was towing a trailer.
Yes, oil will catch on fire really well. I have seen numerous cars on fire on the freeways, either that brand new Ferrari or the everyday newish vehicle... Power steering fluid dumping on hot exhaust.

43, sympathique comme région... I went to Aurillac festival a few years ago

FSJ are a bit tricky, parts can always be swapped, but rust could be a major challenge, not too sure how the contrôle technique will deal with a few rusty spots!
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
P.J.

Post by P.J. »

Letank, your french is very good. I'm sure you speak fluently! If you want to visite France, you will be welcome in our guest hause "au suc c'est fou" (you can look on google!)

I know rust could be a problem on FSJ. In France, a rust hole is not accepted at the technical control. Even if it's not a problem for me (I have my own shop in France and I work only on old cars and american cars), it's always a lot of time to fix rust problems. You can have a look at Prestacad on facebook.

In a perfect world, I hope to find a Cherokee (2 doors), V8 and automatic gearbox, drivable, not much rust and less than 8000$.