Bushwacker rear fender flares?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
OldFarmTruck22

Re: Bushwacker rear fender flares?

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

Rc4mike wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:54 pm So I’m trying to cover a previous owners chop job on my 84 waggy. Getting a pair of cheap Amazon xj flares for 100 bucks…just to see how they fit and look. If they are cheap material but look and fit good, I’ll get the bushwhacker set. I sure like how those look on that chief
rcmike, just be aware that the XJ flare is not as wide front to back as your wheel well opening now. The XJ wheel opening is 3 inches narrower.
I agree with you on the how that Chief looks ... Bada$$ ! One real fine looking Chief!!

And I dig the Bushwacker flares on there jut the way they are!! BAdA$$ look!
78 FSJ AMC 360 Quadratrac

Rc4mike

Post by Rc4mike »

OldFarmTruck22 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:20 am [quote=Rc4mike post_id=217767 time=<a href="tel:1673488469">1673488469</a> user_id=13542]
So I’m trying to cover a previous owners chop job on my 84 waggy. Getting a pair of cheap Amazon xj flares for 100 bucks…just to see how they fit and look. If they are cheap material but look and fit good, I’ll get the bushwhacker set. I sure like how those look on that chief
rcmike, just be aware that the XJ flare is not as wide front to back as your wheel well opening now. The XJ wheel opening is 3 inches narrower.
I agree with you on the how that Chief looks ... Bada$$ ! One real fine looking Chief!!

[/quote]

Hmm. I didn’t know that. Well maybe I’ll just use them as a mock-up and then get the bushwhacker set. I’ll post pics when I get them

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Someone on the mother-ship used some JL/JT flares on their Cherokee SJ. I can't find it now that I am looking for it... of course.

People in the XJ community have found that the Bushwacker flares don't hold up to trail rash and cost lots to replace. Frequently they cause more damage to body panels from pulling on them and ripping off than would have been caused if no flare was there.

With the JL/JT's, Jeep figured out and embraced the Lego mix/match/remove with the flares and grilles. If there was a quick disconnect flare for on road and mud that just popped off for rocks, that would be snazzy.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Pablo wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:42 pm Someone on the mother-ship used some JL/JT flares on their Cherokee SJ. I can't find it now that I am looking for it... of course.

People in the XJ community have found that the Bushwacker flares don't hold up to trail rash and cost lots to replace. Frequently they cause more damage to body panels from pulling on them and ripping off than would have been caused if no flare was there.

With the JL/JT's, Jeep figured out and embraced the Lego mix/match/remove with the flares and grilles. If there was a quick disconnect flare for on road and mud that just popped off for rocks, that would be snazzy.
There are "quick disconnect" (ish) flares for JL and JK Wranglers. But JK/JL front fenders are quite a bit wider than I think you would want for an FSJ. The rears are about right though.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Rc4mike

Post by Rc4mike »

OldFarmTruck22 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:20 am
Rc4mike wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:54 pm So I’m trying to cover a previous owners chop job on my 84 waggy. Getting a pair of cheap Amazon xj flares for 100 bucks…just to see how they fit and look. If they are cheap material but look and fit good, I’ll get the bushwhacker set. I sure like how those look on that chief

So are you saying bushwacker would be wider than the xj flares ? I just got the cheap xj’s…trying to see if they will fit. Not sure they will work

Topic author
OldFarmTruck22

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

Rc4mike wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:41 pm

So are you saying bushwacker would be wider than the xj flares ? I just got the cheap xj’s…trying to see if they will fit. Not sure they will work
rcmike, what I'm saying is that the XJ wheel well opening is 3 inches tighter at the bottom than a FSJ.
Does that make sense? If you measured from front to back of the actual opening at the lowest point, the XJ is 3 inches tighter.

Rc4mike

Post by Rc4mike »

OldFarmTruck22 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:32 am

rcmike, what I'm saying is that the XJ wheel well opening is 3 inches tighter at the bottom than a FSJ.
Does that make sense? If you measured from front to back of the actual opening at the lowest point, the XJ is 3 inches tighter.
Ok that makes sense. Must be why these xj flares are not fitting well. Are the bushwackers longer?

Topic author
OldFarmTruck22

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

Rc4mike wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:11 pm
OldFarmTruck22 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:32 am

Ok that makes sense. Must be why these xj flares are not fitting well. Are the bushwackers longer?
Yes.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Rc4mike wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:11 pm Ok that makes sense. Must be why these xj flares are not fitting well. Are the bushwackers longer?
The bushwacker flares are much larger. The stock XJ flares are small, even by NT Wagoneer standards.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Rc4mike

Post by Rc4mike »

Stuka wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:57 pm
Rc4mike wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:11 pm Ok that makes sense. Must be why these xj flares are not fitting well. Are the bushwackers longer?
The bushwacker flares are much larger. The stock XJ flares are small, even by NT Wagoneer standards.
Do they stick out farther than the xj flares?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Rc4mike wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:22 pm
Stuka wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:57 pm
Do they stick out farther than the xj flares?
Yes, they do. The stick out slightly more than WT FSJ fender flares do. The XJ flares stick out around 1" or so.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
OldFarmTruck22

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

Rc4mike,
mike, take a look at the pictures of the orange Chief in this Thread. That's the ones on the rear that would be made for an XJ 2 door or MJ truck.
To install them on an XJ, you must CUT away 1.5" from the front of the XJ wheel well and 1.5" away from the rear of the XJ well.
To install of a FSJ there is no cutting of the FSJ wheel well. If you install them on a Wide Track FSJ, you have to cut away some of the factory flare. That will be up to you how much flare you remove to make them fit where you want them.

thej10guy

Post by thej10guy »

For those still curious, I was just looking around at random stuff and found a j10 with the bushwhacker fender flares. Looks ok, seem to fit well. The woodgrain is interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1983 Jeep J10 Honcho SWB 5.3 4l60E NP241C viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22361
1979 Jeep J10 LWB (project/parts truck)
1989 GMC Jimmy (project)
Jeep Lover for life :fsj:

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

thej10guy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:15 pm Image
For those still curious, I was just looking around at random stuff and found a j10 with the bushwhacker fender flares. Looks ok, seem to fit well. The woodgrain is interesting.

Yeah interesting is certainly the right word for it 😂
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
OldFarmTruck22

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

sierrablue wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:43 pm
thej10guy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:15 pm Image

Yeah interesting is certainly the right word for it 😂
I think the woodgrain F's up an otherwise excellent looking truck. Flares are looking right here.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I don't think it looks too bad. There are better looking trucks but I can see why they like it that way. They did a really good job on the bedsides though.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Rc4mike

Post by Rc4mike »

With my fenders/flares chopped by the previous owner these flares look like a great option on my 84 GW. I wonder what size tires those are? I’m still toying w just replacing all 4 fenders for a more stock look.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Rc4mike wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:01 pm With my fenders/flares chopped by the previous owner these flares look like a great option on my 84 GW. I wonder what size tires those are? I’m still toying w just replacing all 4 fenders for a more stock look.
33"s or 35"s I'm pretty sure
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070