Bushwacker rear fender flares?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
OldFarmTruck22

Re: Bushwacker rear fender flares?

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

The wide track rear fenders that have rot through problem and have deteriorated too far (especially at the bottom rear) for metal work are a problem. There was a guy that had stamped some replacement panels for these wide tracks, but he seems to be gone now.
Without a metal repair option, it leaves us to have to consider totally removing the factory flare (a lot of work) and installing the fiberglass flares (A LOT OF WORK), don't let them kid you, that fiberglass install is a lot of work that will cost you a thousand dollars or much more if done by a body shop.
So ... to be able to cut off the factory rear flare and BOLT ON a complete replacement that will handle bumps and scuffs much better than brittle fiberglass, is the better option for the cost conscious like me.
78 FSJ AMC 360 Quadratrac

SJohn
Vendor

Post by SJohn »

OldFarmTruck22 wrote:The wide track rear fenders that have rot through problem and have deteriorated too far (especially at the bottom rear) for metal work are a problem. There was a guy that had stamped some replacement panels for these wide tracks, but he seems to be gone now.
Without a metal repair option, it leaves us to have to consider totally removing the factory flare (a lot of work) and installing the fiberglass flares (A LOT OF WORK), don't let them kid you, that fiberglass install is a lot of work that will cost you a thousand dollars or much more if done by a body shop.
So ... to be able to cut off the factory rear flare and BOLT ON a complete replacement that will handle bumps and scuffs much better than brittle fiberglass, is the better option for the cost conscious like me.
Yes absolutely! I'm actively looking for a solution for my 81 Cherokee widetrack with rotted out rear flares. The only concern I have with an aftermarket/non factory style flare is I'll have to match the front with the rear.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Owner/Operator/Chief Engineer of Johnson Production FSJ Parts
https://www.johnsonproductionjp.com/

1986 J20 LS Swap
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=17875

1981 Cherokee Chief - Rustard - 2JZ swap
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=22981

Topic author
OldFarmTruck22

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

SJohn wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:26 am
OldFarmTruck22 wrote:The wide track rear fenders that have rot through problem and have deteriorated too far (especially at the bottom rear) for metal work are a problem. There was a guy that had stamped some replacement panels for these wide tracks, but he seems to be gone now.
Yes absolutely! I'm actively looking for a solution for my 81 Cherokee widetrack with rotted out rear flares. The only concern I have with an aftermarket/non factory style flare is I'll have to match the front with the rear.

John, If your front flares are still good, I wouldn't even worry about it. You paint the front flares black and it's a visual match from 40 feet. I've seen pictures online of this exact fix. I'm not touching my front flares, only to match the color of what I finally decide for the back.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I honestly think BJ's note saying they fit WT FSJs is wrong. A WT fender opening is so much larger than an NT FSJ/XJ, I am not sure what they would bolt up too. Looking at photos of an OE WT flare, next to a bushwacker flare on an NT FSJ, you can see by the body lines that the WT flare is larger. I would call them and ask if they have had anybody actually put them on a WT, or if its a typo. I still cannot find a single photo of a WT with the bushwackers on it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

SJohn
Vendor

Post by SJohn »

I wonder how well OEM XJ/MJ flares fit up on a nt or widetrack with flares cut off? For my case I don't need the extra width of the bushwhacker flares, just an oem style replacement.Image

1986 J20 LS Swap

Topic author
OldFarmTruck22

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

SJohn wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:43 am I wonder how well OEM XJ/MJ flares fit up on a nt or widetrack with flares cut off? For my case I don't need the extra width of the bushwhacker flares, just an oem style replacement.Image

I carry a tape measure in all my vehicles. I see something in a parking lot that i need a measurement from, I just do a quick measurement.

Topic author
OldFarmTruck22

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

Stuka wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:40 am I honestly think BJ's note saying they fit WT FSJs is wrong. A WT fender opening is so much larger than an NT FSJ/XJ, I am not sure what they would bolt up too. Looking at photos of an OE WT flare, next to a bushwacker flare on an NT FSJ, you can see by the body lines that the WT flare is larger. I would call them and ask if they have had anybody actually put them on a WT, or if its a typo. I still cannot find a single photo of a WT with the bushwackers on it.
So here's the deal with WT flares. You can use the bushwackers because they have an excessive amount of extra material in both extension away from the side, and overlap (hang down) into the well. I'm thinking leave some flare metal under the new bushwacker to bolt to. The bolt pockets are an inch from the edge of the bushwacker flare. Who cares how it looks UNDER the new flare as long as you prime the metal cuts for rustproofing.
Just my thoughts.

Topic author
OldFarmTruck22

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAD

For Stuka

If anybody knows how to open this link then load it up here as a picture, that would be cool.
thanks
Last edited by OldFarmTruck22 on Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

thej10guy

Post by thej10guy »

Wow I actually really like that cherokee. I don’t think it’s better than factory style flares but it still looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1983 Jeep J10 Honcho SWB 5.3 4l60E NP241C viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22361
1979 Jeep J10 LWB (project/parts truck)
1989 GMC Jimmy (project)
Jeep Lover for life :fsj:

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Someone posted up a YJ flare earlier, too small, however TJ ones are larger in the opening, they are just smoother.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
OldFarmTruck22

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

OldFarmTruck22 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:28 am https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAD

For Stuka

If anybody knows how to open this link then load it up here as a picture, that would be cool.
thanks
Anyone know how to turn this into a picture and post it in this Thread? It would be good to have this picture for future questions.
Thanks

SJohn
Vendor

Post by SJohn »

HereImage

1986 J20 LS Swap

Topic author
OldFarmTruck22

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

So I spoke with a tecnical guy at Bushwacker about these rear flares. To install them on a 2 door XJ or MJ you have to remove 3" of wheel well opening from that XJ vehicle. 1 1/2 inches from front and 1 1/2" from the back of the XJ wheel well. Hmmmm that tells us something, right?
Like Stuka said, the FSJ 2 door W/T wheel well is bigger than a 2 door XJ well. So, these should be in the ball park to fit a W/T.

Obviously the guy in the picture above fit them on back and front without cutting them in half or anything.
No doubt there's some plastic trimming to get them to contour to the quarter panel profile.
Last edited by OldFarmTruck22 on Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
OldFarmTruck22

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

SJohn wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:59 am HereImage

If you look closely at the picture above, the flat part of the new Bushwacker flare is bolted on slightly above that body line above the wheel well.

thej10guy

Post by thej10guy »

Here is the image

1989 GMC Jimmy (project)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Hmm, interesting.

Those are mounted about 1" to 2" higher than they typically are (based on other FSJs that have them). If you adjust the brightness and contrast (as the photo is kind of dark), you can see the flare indeed no longer covers the rocker area. It starts above the rocker. To bad we don't have some other photos showing this in better lightning from other angles.

My comment above was based on the flare start along the rocker, which would mean it would not go high enough to cover the top part of the OE fender opening. But if you are willing to forego that, you can move the whole flare up. It may just look a little goofy.

And personally, I think having rear pocket flares with OE fronts would look really goofy. So its really do front and rear so that they match, or spend slightly more and do the fiber glass ones which will look factory.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Rc4mike

Post by Rc4mike »

So I’m trying to cover a previous owners chop job on my 84 waggy. Getting a pair of cheap Amazon xj flares for 100 bucks…just to see how they fit and look. If they are cheap material but look and fit good, I’ll get the bushwhacker set. I sure like how those look on that chief

thej10guy

Bushwacker rear fender flares?

Post by thej10guy »

Cool! If it works and you order the bushwhacker set post up pics on here too please.

1989 GMC Jimmy (project)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Rc4mike wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:54 pm So I’m trying to cover a previous owners chop job on my 84 waggy. Getting a pair of cheap Amazon xj flares for 100 bucks…just to see how they fit and look. If they are cheap material but look and fit good, I’ll get the bushwhacker set. I sure like how those look on that chief
Cool, interested to see how the cheap ones look too.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
OldFarmTruck22

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

Stuka wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:36 pm Hmm, interesting.

Those are mounted about 1" to 2" higher than they typically are (based on other FSJs that have them). If you adjust the brightness and contrast (as the photo is kind of dark), you can see the flare indeed no longer covers the rocker area. It starts above the rocker. To bad we don't have some other photos showing this in better lightning from other angles.

My comment above was based on the flare start along the rocker, which would mean it would not go high enough to cover the top part of the OE fender opening. But if you are willing to forego that, you can move the whole flare up. It may just look a little goofy.

And personally, I think having rear pocket flares with OE fronts would look really goofy. So its really do front and rear so that they match, or spend slightly more and do the fiber glass ones which will look factory.
Stuka, Could you post the lightened picture for us to see this? I am looking at the horizontal body line on the quarter panel. The new flare seems to align with that. On my 78 that is where the factory flare attaches to the quarter. I'm not the owner of the orange Chief, who knows what this guy was dealing with that caused him to place the flare so high, but I would drop mine down a 1/2" maybe.
As far as 'goofy looking' goes, I have seen owners of different cars and trucks and jeeps who have an artist/painter airbrush those exact pocket bolt and holes onto fenders. If done well it looks damn good up to 1 foot away.

To each his own I suppose. I won't be cutting out my perfect front flares so I can 'match' anything. But I'm a bit of a redneck. HA! :D