Howell TBI idle

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
cone

Howell TBI idle

Post by cone »

I am having issues with the idle. On cold start the RPM immediately jumps to 1700 RPM and stays there even after the engine warms up, I have to shut it off and after the restart it and then it idles properly at 750 RPM. When coming to a stop after driving the idle hangs up a 1200 RPM and I have to shut it off again and restart to get it to idle at 750 RPM. I have run a Winaldl program on it and all the readings are good so it's not a fuel issue and the fuel pressure in good and consistent at 12psi. It's not the PROM programing because I already had to have that reprogrammed because it was running too lean and I was having the idle issues before the PROM was reprogrammed. Any ideas on what to look at next? Thanks

Yeller

Re: Howell TBI idle

Post by Yeller »

A sticking idle air control would be my guess. Never had your described issue but there are only a couple of thing that could cause that. One thing to remember, programming doesn’t change on its own beyond some self learning, with TBI that is very limited and most set ups are limited to fuel trimming based on O2 data, so I wouldn’t even give that a second thought.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Howell TBI idle

Post by Stuka »

Unplug the IAC and see if the issue changes. When I had an idle air control valve fail on my XJ, I had to drive with it unplugged until a new one came in. It won't run great, but it at least prevented the idle from going all over the place.

The IAC plug is on the passenger rear side of the TB as I recall for those GM units.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ