Garage Floor coating?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
hevas155

Garage Floor coating?

Post by hevas155 »

I recently bought a house that was built in 1996 and I'd like to get some sort of surface coating down on the garage floor before I move in there. The current house I live in was built in 2012 and every 2 years I applied concrete garage paint to the floor to protect it. It was not a permanent solution since I did not intend to be there long term. It was relatively easy and inexpensive to do. The house I'll be moving into is a long term move. Unfortunately, I did not take note of what condition the concrete garage floor was in when I looked at the house during the showing but I have to imagine that it may need at least some minor work.

Obviously having it done professionally is the ideal solution. Hiring a company to treat and prep the existing concrete, and then apply a polyurea or epoxy coat that has a long term warranty is what I'd like to do. However, I'm experiencing some logistical issues with that because I would need to have it done prior to moving anything into the garage. Some of these companies that I could hire are backed up for weeks out and they can't just drop what they're doing to do mine. Once I get my stuff in there, removing it for a few days again really isn't an option.
garage flooring lake havasu

I've considered just trying to do it myself with one of those DIY Epoxy Shield kits. Anyone ever try these? How difficult was it? Were you satisfied with the results?

garage flooring goodyear

Thanks
Last edited by hevas155 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tgreese

Re: Garage Floor coating?

Post by tgreese »

Suggest you post on Garage Journal https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forums/flooring.20/ - there's a forum there specifically about garage floors and you will get lots of advice. Plenty to read too if you have the time to do some of your own research. There are several vendors/contractors there for these garage floor coatings and you may find one that can accommodate your schedule.

FSJN has a "garages" forum heading that may be more appropriate for this question.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

J20Hunter1

Post by J20Hunter1 »

Check out U-Coat It great product I have done several floors and it is made to do yourself.Holds up great
Dennis Ridgeway 1977 Wagoneer 360/auto , 1969 J3000 Gladiator , 1983 J20 360 /auto <1978 Cj 5 Golden Eagle

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I’m a fan of clear acrylic floor finish, looks great, easy to clean and easy to touch up or buff to a high shine even. Have it in on my concrete floors in my house and garage. I’m not a fan of epoxy finish’s, they just don’t stand the test if time in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.com/Acryliwax-Gloss- ... %3D&sr=8-3
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Do you plan to weld? If not, vinyl composition tile (VCT) is cheap (under $2/sqft), looks good and is easy to install. Also available in a skid-resistant tile. Easy to keep clean too. Epoxy does not hold up to weld splatter either; if you're going to have a lot of sparks on the floor, polished concrete might be your best option.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

The PIG Smith

Post by The PIG Smith »

I wanted to coat the concrete floor of my basement Office/Computer Room/Workshop.
My basement has flooded in the past and I am not wanting to use any other flooring.
I was quoted about $1000 for some high-tech professional coating.
I am sure it would have been awsome if I had paid to have it applied.
I really did not want to spend that kind of money on that room.
So, I used Rust-Oleum Garage Floor Paint.
It applied like a thick paint and looked good when finished.
However, my office chair wheels have chipped and scratched this paint and under my chair, it looks bad.
My guess is the wheels do not roll well when I am sitting in it.
Instead repainting the one spot (which I would need to buy another gallon of paint), I bought a black rubber chair mat and all is well.
I have a second office chair. While I have not used it much, it has not marred the floor.
Its wheels roll freely.
Other than my goofy office chair issue, this floor has held up well. I am satisfied.

My guess is the rubber tires of a car would not hurt this paint if it were on a concrete garage floor.
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Apparently "hot tire pickup" is a problem with many epoxy coatings. Just FYI. Condition/prep of the substrate matters, along with characteristics of the product. The pros often grind or shot blast to prepare concrete ... no personal experience, just what I've read.

VCT would look nice on a basement floor.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

J20Hunter1

Post by J20Hunter1 »

Like tgreese said PREP is the most important thing .I agree if you weld ,polish floor not coating My U-coatit has held up to tires well
Dennis Ridgeway 1977 Wagoneer 360/auto , 1969 J3000 Gladiator , 1983 J20 360 /auto <1978 Cj 5 Golden Eagle

Topic author
hevas155

Post by hevas155 »

thank you so much for all your suggestions.

epoxy floor coatings cape coral

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I used Shark Skin coating from Lowes. Is a roll-on coating with grit or sand in it. Its held up well but is clear and doesnt color the floor

Topic author
hevas155

Post by hevas155 »

@J20Hunter1 thank you so much for your suggestion