79 Cherk D.O.G.

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Revelc

79 Cherk D.O.G.

Post by Revelc »

I'm picking up a 79 Cherokee Sport. 360/T400/Q-trac

Stock drive train. 20k on rebuilt engine has 50 PSI oil pressure cold and 40 hot.

Just getting it where I want it to get me by;
I'll be replacing the timing cover when I get it (got a pinhole coolant leak after sitting for 10years) so I'll be putting in the COMP 260H I have laying around as well as an Edelbrock Performer and my 670 Holley TA.

33" MT's then a 4" lift after a few weeks.

I might leave the ignition alone until it acts up.

I have a list of plans but I am really shooting for a hot daily driver that can tow my Wagoneer when need be.

Drivetrain plans
I am considering putting a 496 stroker T400 combo in but I am most likely rebuilding the 401 I only put 1,000 miles on before it started tapping and was pulled shortly after.

Currently it (401)has
9.5:1 cast plugs
Edelbrock Performer
MSD everything
Holley 670 Truck Avenger
Some head work
Milidon water pump

My recipe
Bulltear forged plugs good for 10:1
Bulltear timing cover
Milidon or Canton road race pan (internal pickup, I won't be spinning over 5,500k)
Edelbrock Heads (to run pump gas)
850 DP Holley
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
Lunati 262/268 http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2392&gid=297 (maybe next step up)
The current build made the Crower 276 cam feel and sound like an RV cam. I'm sure the bigger Lunati cams won't hurt torque too much.

I'll probably add an Aluminum radiator and Taurus fan during the swap.

Tranny
T400 just a tear down with some more clutch packs and an RV stall converter

T-Case
Currently has Quadratrac I doubt it will hold up to the warmed over 401.
I am open to suggestions here. I wonder if I'll have to swap tail shafts to run a Chevy T-case....

Axles
I'll leave the 44's until something happens. Maybe go with Dana 60's
Leaving 3.54 gears. I'm sure they will be fine with all that torque.

Tires/Lift
Picking up a set of 5 33" Mickey T's tomorrow
I'll run them until I put on a 4" lift or go SOA. Either way I'm going to add a few leafs to the rear pack for a little rake and a more level towing stance.

Mods

It already has a CB/FM radio
Dual tanks
Dual exhaust
EGR Delete

Things I need to get right

Has a little surface rust on the frame. Will be getting some POR after a little sanding.
Leaking timing cover. I'll just use the one from my 401.
Putting the hitch from my Wagoneer on to replace the sketchy one on it.
The A/C compressor is missing so Ill get a new one or swap the one from the Wag.
It only has the tranny cooler in the radiator so Ill rig up one I scrounge up or instal a nice one with a pusher (wife approval permitting)
Pulling all the carpet for a coat of POR, then bed liner, followed by Dynamat and some carpet
After all of this... I might paint it. I might not. I kind of like the "patina" look.

Will update with pics after tire swap.
Last edited by Revelc on Tue May 07, 2013 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Revelc

Re: 79 Cherk D.O.G.

Post by Revelc »

Maybe this needs to be moved to Show and Tell?

I am new here and dont want to upset the locals. :-bd
Last edited by Revelc on Tue May 07, 2013 8:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

As long as you update this thread with your pics and details, it will be in the right place.

Sounds like a solid plan, cant wait to see the pics... :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Good Steward

Post by Good Steward »

I am all for the thread. Working on a '79 right now, myself, and looking forward to yours, as well.

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

It sounds like a winner- post pics!

Topic author
Revelc

Post by Revelc »

I took some pictures today but it won't let me upload my iPhone pictures. I'll be home in a few days so I can figure it out then.

I got the tires mounted on it today but couldn't get 4X4 to engage. I'm guessing the vacuum lines are rotted (fingers crossed)

It has a switch saying it has the part time conversion as well as emergency drive next to the drivers seat.

I know these cases are hard to source parts for. I am considering a swap but both axles having passenger side drops has me in a pickle. Keep them and fix the q-trac

...or put a Chevy t-case with different axles like D60's. Hmm.....

I just don't want a bunch of lift that comes with axle swaps.

Decisions decisions.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Welcome. Rock that old brick! :-bd You are brave to take on the QuadraTrac. ;) It is some old school, limited parts availability go 4x4 stuff. The Edrive you mention is the low range shifter. It is High range when the shifter is down near the floor, then up 1 notch to neutral, 1 more notch to Low. The shift coupling in the part time kit has it's weak links besides the vacuum. Try the QT link in my sig for some info. Good luck on the project. :fsj:
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Also keep in mind that the out put shaft in the TH400 is for QT's only. If you want a different t-case, the tranny out put needs changed. ;)
Last edited by jaber on Thu May 09, 2013 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
Revelc

Post by Revelc »

fulsizjeep wrote:Welcome. Rock that old brick! :-bd You are brave to take on the QuadraTrac. ;) It is some old school, limited parts availability go 4x4 stuff. The Edrive you mention is the low range shifter. It is High range when the shifter is down near the floor, then up 1 notch to neutral, 1 more notch to Low. The shift coupling in the part time kit has it's weak links besides the vacuum. Try the QT link in my sig for some info. Good luck on the project. :fsj:

Thanks for the input. I will try to fix the vacuum shifter when I get back home. I'm out of town at the moment visiting some friends in Houston.

jaber wrote:Also keep in mind that the out put shaft in the TH$)) is for QT's only. If you want a different t-case, the tranny out put needs changed. ;)

It would be a good time to beef up the tranny if I'm already going that far into it. I am hoping my 401 breaks the 500 Ft/lbs barrier. I would also lose my dual tanks and offset differential. It's already a tight squeeze under there as it is. I want dual tanks and won't be wheeling hard. Just hard acceleration on the street and pulling Jeeps to and from the trail would be the extent of its duty. I am going to go ahead and replace the chain while I'm messing with it and replacing some seals.

Topic author
Revelc

Post by Revelc »

Parts update.

I went ahead and ordered the Bulltear timing cover with HRC gears and dual filter relocation kit.

I may have gone overboard but I don't want to do something more than once.

I'll swap in the COMP 260H, Holley TA, and Edelbrock Perf when I do the cover swap.

Next Ill get a D.U.I. (For the easy install and it's reputation)

4" lift (maybe just swapping the 4" out of my Wag for the Cherokees stock springs and doing SOA on the Wagoneer)

A Milidon or Canton road race pan with internal pickup (If you have experience with either chime in)

Then after its sitting how I want it and bullet proof the 401 build will start :-bd

Topic author
Revelc

Post by Revelc »

IMG_1230.jpg
IMG_1221.jpg
IMG_1229.jpg
IMG_1241.jpg
IMG_1238.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.