My first FSJ should I do it?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
mwray8909

My first FSJ should I do it?

Post by mwray8909 »

Howdy folks.
Looking for a little guidance on a possible purchase of an 81 cherokee laredo wide track.
Here's the dirty:

AMC 360 is junk
Radiator is junk
Interior basically junk
No key- but has a new ignition cylinder and key sitting in the seat.
Virtually no rust (arizona wagon)
Body is about as dent free as any 40 year old vehicle I've ever seen
Small lift
Factory AC
Secondary fuel tank
Duplicate salvaged title (supposedly stolen no real signs of repair to body or frame)
Asking 3500

If I get it I plan to do the ls swap with 6l80e

My questions:
What things should I look out for or inspect before buying?
Would it be worth the 3500 he is asking or does something closer to 2500 make more sense?
Best places to find parts? (Besides BJSOFFROAD.COM)

Thanks in advance for any information and guidance

Matt

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Topic author
mwray8909

Re: My first FSJ should I do it?

Post by mwray8909 »

The only photo I have of it.Image

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Even in todays market, I think $3500 is steep for that being that it needs a new drivetrain and interior.

I would also be leery of the title. The last thing you want is to go register it only to find out you can't. It would be worth running a carfax (or similar) report on it.

Prime candidate for an engine swap though.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
mwray8909

Post by mwray8909 »

If he takes 2500 would that be reasonable?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

mwray8909 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:30 pm If he takes 2500 would that be reasonable?

Provided there is not wrong with the title, yes.

But also, it comes down to how much you want it. If it ticks all the boxes for what you want, then maybe you pay more so that you don't lose it to somebody else. To you it may be fully worth 3500, so you don't have to keep searching for another one.
2017 JKU Rubicon

will e

Post by will e »

Where in Arizona is it? I would be happy to go take a look at it for you. (And no, I will not buy it out from under you). I might be able to go to a '3rd party DMV' that we have here in AZ and have them verify the title is clean. PM me if you want some help. There are other members in Globe and Tucson that might be willing to go look at it for ya too.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
mwray8909

Post by mwray8909 »

Well I did a carfax report and it is a salvaged title due to damage. So I'm going to back out on this one. Pretty bummed but I now know what to look for.

Topic author
mwray8909

Post by mwray8909 »

will e wrote:Where in Arizona is it? I would be happy to go take a look at it for you. (And no, I will not buy it out from under you). I might be able to go to a '3rd party DMV' that we have here in AZ and have them verify the title is clean. PM me if you want some help. There are other members in Globe and Tucson that might be willing to go look at it for ya too.
It is located in Chino Valley.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Let's don't be hasty.

When was it junked? If not too long ago, at today's bodywork costs even relatively minor damage might cause the insurance company to wreck it and the owner buy it back on a Salvage Title and fix it.

If, on the other hand, the right quarter panel was stove in and the new owner just fixed it with a Sawzall...

Did the Carfax tell you who owned it, who obtained the Salvage Title and who owns it now?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
mwray8909

Post by mwray8909 »

SJTD wrote:Let's don't be hasty.

When was it junked? If not too long ago, at today's bodywork costs even relatively minor damage might cause the insurance company to wreck it and the owner buy it back on a Salvage Title and fix it.

If, on the other hand, the right quarter panel was stove in and the new owner just fixed it with a Sawzall...

Did the Carfax tell you who owned it, who obtained the Salvage Title and who owns it now?
I can see were some of the sheet metal is torn under one of the fenders. I don't know if it is really a big issue but I do know, I can't do body work. The report did not give me any information beyond it was damaged/ in an accident. Image

will e

Post by will e »

Chino Valley is a long ways away. I don't know if we have any members near there or not.

Edit: Keep in mind that will make it hard for them to sell.
Last edited by will e on Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

letank

Post by letank »

as said, find if the title is clean... and yes salvaged does not mean too much... well , most of the time.... check that doors, tailgate, hood and fenders have straight gap between each other... for the frame it is a bit harder, looks at the tires wear pattern

as for rust, the windshield surround is the canary, those rigs were not very well primed, so the roof starts to pit on its supports, the A pillar and the D pillar... of course for a chero it will be a C pillar (the last one by the tailgate)

lift up the carpet if any at all corners by the wheel wells and the support of the rear bench and probe for lack of flooring or excess rust

Parts are getting hard to find, especially quality ones... too much chinese junk... or shoddy machine work...

body stress cracks are often the result of our body mounts that have sagged, then the shell is bent to submission -cracks- Check my links for the rusty horror show
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Boy oh boy. I would point out that the better an example you start with, the less it will cost overall.

How many Jeeps has the OP looked at? Is this the first? You need a basis for comparison. A good rule-of-thumb is decide how long you can take to make a purchase. Use the first half of that time to look at possible vehicles, no purchase. For the second half, purchase the Jeep you find that's as good or better than all the previous ones you looked at.

Also, you are likely better off to cast as wide a net geographically as you can manage. Spend money to go and look at candidates, and pay to have the winning candidate shipped to you. If you can't afford to travel, you can't be very picky about what kind of vehicle you'll accept. I'd suggest you expand the possible vehicles you might like, like an XJ or ZJ or WJ, or maybe an XTerra ... or whatever.
Last edited by tgreese on Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I would not be concerned with that little bit of a fender tear. Thats actually pretty typical damage from running tire chains.
2017 JKU Rubicon

letank

Post by letank »

tgreese wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:47 pm I'd suggest you expand the possible vehicles you might like, like an XJ or ZJ or WJ, or maybe an XTerra ... or whatever.
I was also thinking that a broader scope of 4x4 could be another option. The FSJs are seldom seen in the junkyard for the last 2 years... tough for scavenging little bits... there are plenty of ZJ or WJ which have their issues, but you will have easier time to have a working AC, plenty of parts or available lifts and should I say more power... Yes, I confess, I have been eyeing something more modern... still need the low range for camping trips...

Xterra! they even come in manual trans... parts are a bit expensive... but a more compact design...
Michel

Topic author
mwray8909

Post by mwray8909 »

letank wrote:as said, find if the title is clean... and yes salvaged does not mean too much... well , most of the time.... check that doors, tailgate, hood and fenders have straight gap between each other... for the frame it is a bit harder, looks at the tires wear pattern

as for rust, the windshield surround is the canary, those rigs were not very well primed, so the roof starts to pit on its supports, the A pillar and the D pillar... of course for a chero it will be a C pillar (the last one by the tailgate)

lift up the carpet if any at all corners by the wheel wells and the support of the rear bench and probe for lack of flooring or excess rust

Parts are getting hard to find, especially quality ones... too much chinese junk... or shoddy machine work...

body stress cracks are often the result of our body mounts that have sagged, then the shell is bent to submission -cracks- Check my links for the rusty horror show
It was salvaged in 2005.

All gaps look even.

No odd tire wear.

No rust under front floor.

I'll check rear area for rust today.

What do yall mean by clean title? I thought that if it was a salvaged title it wasn't clean. Is there something else inside the title I should be looking at?

I appreciate the knowledge from everyone. I understand there are other 4x4 options but im set on a FSJ at this point I have had F250s, 4runners, Tundras ect. This one is meant to be a 2-3 year project so im willing to put in the work and time to get a Cherokee like this running as long as it's a solid starting point.

Topic author
mwray8909

Post by mwray8909 »

Stuka wrote:I would not be concerned with that little bit of a fender tear. Thats actually pretty typical damage from running tire chains.
This is good to know.

letank

Post by letank »

mwray8909 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:44 am
What do yall mean by clean title? I thought that if it was a salvaged title it wasn't clean. Is there something else inside the title I should be looking at?
that you have a title signed by the current registered owner. I have seen a few glitches when the seller is not the owner, or when no title can be provided...

Also check faceb@@k marketplace... for some reason searching wagoneer turns to wagoneer listed as wrangler

BUT snow chain in AZ??? could not resist!
Michel

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

letank wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:49 am BUT snow chain in AZ??? could not resist!
AZ does get snow, and the truck could have been in another state.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
mwray8909

Post by mwray8909 »

letank wrote:
mwray8909 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:44 am
that you have a title signed by the current registered owner. I have seen a few glitches when the seller is not the owner, or when no title can be provided...

Also check faceb@@k marketplace... for some reason searching wagoneer turns to wagoneer listed as wrangler

BUT snow chain in AZ??? could not resist!
This is a northern Arizona truck.tou can get some decent snow here