83 Cherokee resto-mod

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Laredo Matt

83 Cherokee resto-mod

Post by Laredo Matt »

Hi Everyone,

I've been asking random questions over the last 6 months as I've been working on my Laredo. I appreciate the responses. They've either answered some of the questions directly or at least pointed me in a direction I could find answers.

I decided to do a build thread and will start by posting a series of pics over the coming days with where I started to where I am today. Been planning to do it but just haven't had ....er...made the time with everything going on. I will try and do semi-regular updates but that pesky time thing will probably get in the way.

A few details on the jeep when I bought it

Purchased in Dec 2020
Respray in original color by a PO at some point
Gen 3 Swap by PO - mileage unknown, some receipts from shop that did swap
Overall body was in good shape with only a few signs of rust

My original plan...formulated as I drove home with primary goal of having a reliable, safe daily driver

- new body wiring harness
- address steering, maybe some brake upgrades.
- a few convenience upgrades; add AC, power mirrors, power windows

As I started working on it, and found little things along the way, scope creep kicked in an my plan adjusted several times .... I hear this is not a unique occurrence. I'm now in the middle of a full frame off resto-mod.

Morning after I picked the Jeep up

Original interior mostly. Looks good in the pictures and was for its age but was a bit warn.
Last edited by Laredo Matt on Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

83 Cherokee resto-mod

Post by Laredo Matt »

The speaker install and rust was a bit of a concern...I wondered what else was done poorly or covered up.

I'm one of those people that believes if you're gonna do it, do it right. Never having restored a vehicle before and seeing that made me nervous. How much rust is there. What's under the paint etc.

A poor repair job to the passenger floor pan. This wasn't a surprise but still...

Last edited by Laredo Matt on Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Re: 83 Cherokee resto-mod

Post by Laredo Matt »

Found some of the usual stuff others pointed out in their threads ...fresh air vent ducts were full of crap ...but no rust in either side.

Last edited by Laredo Matt on Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

83 Cherokee resto-mod

Post by Laredo Matt »

A friend told me to make notes and bag everything...that might sound obvious to many / most of you but remember I had never done this before so I'm glad he mentioned it. Maybe I would have thought about it but also a good chance I wouldn't. I tend to think my memory and recall is better than it is.

I took notes and lots of pictures along the way ... 6 months later I know it would be near impossible to get it back together if I hadn't.

I've lost count of the pictures and plastic bags labeled with parts!

Last edited by Laredo Matt on Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

83 Cherokee resto-mod

Post by Laredo Matt »

One of my first dumb newbie mistakes...there have been many. I pulled the harness out with the rear window still raised. Kinda makes it hard to lower the window and take the tailgate off so had to get a bench power supply to get it down.

As i stripped the interior, I found other hidden rust areas and scope creep started. I had seen similar rust here in the build thread by Strode a few years back. I decided I'd need to, at minimum, strip the paint down a few layers to try and identify any other issues. I was committed at this point.

Last edited by Laredo Matt on Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

This weekend - 2 7 hrs days block sanding in 100 degree heat. Fenders, doors, tailgate, hood. I'm so tired of it, I just want it to be over!

I'll post a few more catch up pics
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Idunno about anyone else but I'm just seeing the minuses, not pichers.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Thanks for letting me know SJTD.

anyone else able to see the pictures? Using google images. They all show up in my preview and I have them in a folder that is open to sharing.

If not, I'll have to find another solution before I keep posting anything. Kinda pointless without pictures
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

doh....looks like sharing was off. Let me know if you can see pictures now?
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

As I continued tear down I found more rust.

First step, but a welder, learn how to weld. Watched a lot of Lincoln and miller videos and spent a few days practicing on scrap and felt like I was ready to go....kind of.

Inner fender repair

nothing too severe

fabricated a piece that fit pretty well but curves with a simple hammer and sand bag were tough

decent burn thru on the weld. Stitched it up tight

Ground the weld...not the prettiest but will do

Body worked...used dura glass to smooth and finish.

Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

I've updated all the previous image links. Will wait to hear if you are able to see them now before posting more.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Yes we can see the pics.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Nice looking truck to start off with. And yes, mission creep is a killer. Keep up the good work

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Today was a good day.

I dropped the chassis off at a local shop to have some work done; diff inspection/service, oil change, new gaskets, wheel bearings, rebuild rear drums, install new knuckle ball joints and new bushings all around.

I may have them order new shocks and vented rotors to go with the two piston calipers I got from Wilwood. They're a direct OE fit and a bit more breaking power. Plan to add hydroboost so the combination of the extra piston and hydroboost should give me plenty of stopping performance.

For shocks, I'm leaning to Fox over Bilstein. Either the 985-24-004 with internal reservoir or 985-26-051 with remote. I took all the measurements static, fully extended and talked to the tech guys at Fox and that is what they recommended. I really like the look and fade free performance of the remote reservoir but it's a significant price difference and I don't really need the external reservoir....hmmm.

I was planning to do the chasis work on my own but limited space in garage (my paint/body work has taken up every inch) and the sense I'm running out of time made it an easy decision. I have a slot with an interior shop at the end of January and am already starting to feel the pressure. Still have a lot to do before then. I've been trying to do most things on my own but interior should be done by a professional. Having the chassis at the shop is one thing off my back that I don't have to worry about getting done.

One other slight mod. They highly recommended switching to manually locking hubs at some point. In the winter I can just keep them locked all the time if I want and just switch out of 4x4 the rest of the year or as needed. He said that is effectively what the OE hubs do but not as efficientl so manual hubs are more reliable. Plus, can always manually unlock if needed or have trouble with the front diff. Makes sense to me, sound right?
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

back to catching the thread up ...

Here are a few more of the other rust / rot repairs I had to tackle.

Passenger side rear window. Rot around the seal. I recall strode had a similar issue on his Laredo.

Post repair. This was the first weld repair on the jeep and my first ever on anything. I took a while and there were some mistakes made. I didn't get it perfectly flush but was able to address that later and it will have window seal so not an issue at all. I used the old reliable duraglass to skim coat it after this just to insure no water ingress.

Next was to fix the passenger floor pan. previous repair was .... not good.

Trimmed and fit and drilled and prepped including spot weld holes

Got it stitch welded in at this point. I used a backer plate below so I had some good strong metal to tie the new floor pan and OE sheet metal to. After this I filled in with more stitch welds until I was solid. That was a process! ground and smoothed the weld and the skim coated with duraglass ( i am a fan and hate water) just to be safe.

I know my spot welds aren't perfect here...still learning and there is some porosity you can see. went back and addressed those later with the welder. still learning.

Body mount cages were all bad and spinning. I decided to cut access holes for all (some folks here had done that and friends recommended it), get rid of the nut cages, weld the nuts in place (before removing or loosening body so I know it will go back on where it should) and then cut covers for each for future serviceability. Once it's back together I don't plan to take the body off ever again but you never know and it will be a lot easier for me or the next guy in the unlikely event I ever decide to get rid of it.

One of 8 ...

Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

The jeep didn't come with A/C. I want/need a/c so will go with a vintage air electric unit most likely.

I decided the heater/core/blower aren't going back in so patched that

Also sealed up the firewall hole for the factory fuse box. New harness will go in and it isn't needed. Will cut a new hole that is appropriate once I get to that point.

I was pleased with the outcome on the fuse box patch. ground down nice and zero warping!

Can't same the same for the blower and vent holes. Got a little aggressive and some warping. Slow learner I guess and this isn't the last time I did that....again, something I can address in body work so no big deal.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Next was the roof... I know this may cause some folks some heartache but decided I don't want to keep the OE rack. Love the look but not totally functional so will be in search of a nice strong aluminum safari rack that mounts to drip rails. So I decided to weld the OE mounting holes shut....no going back and I don't want to deal with future leaks if they aren't sealed water tight.

There was a little warping in a few spots. This stuff is thin and hard to weld ... and I'm far from being good at this point. Also covered the welds with ...yep, duraglass, to make sure it is water tight! and then fixed the warping with glazaing putty as I primed and worked those issues out.

You can see at this point the body is off and it is on a rotisserie. I first built a wood body harness to set it on....oopps, another newbie mistake. When I screwed it together it put a small crack in one of the cross arms that failed. you can see remnants of that on the floor in the picture below

I got fortunate and found a rotisserie for rent on the other side of the state on FB marketplace. Month to month from a private individual so perfect for my needs. After the wood body harness failure, I decided I wasn't going to be crawling around,on, under the thing unless it was supported with steel. I mostly working alone so the though of being trapped under something alone was not something I wanted to experience. Drove across the state and picked up the rotisserie....a fabulous tool once you get it balanced properly!
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

After the weld and body repairs (there were a few other minor ones I'm not posting) it was time to get get it blasted to see if I was missing anything.

Found someone semi local who is doing the dustless blasting.

They use a inhibitor to stop flash rust. The guy came from about 2.5 hrs away in the southern part of the state. It's less humid there and he added inhibitor in the morning before he left based on his humidity....too little .... so I got flash rust before I had it back in the garage that night....uhhhh. That was some unplanned sanding but no choice.

He agreed to drive back up that weekend to get the frame. When I called and told him about the flash rust he offered to re-blast the entire body. I planned to sand prior to that as I wanted to remove it so he just did that chassis for no charge. Solid guy and appreciated it given the drive time as well. I ended up giving him a reduced amount and we both felt good about it.

Final thought on this one...dustless blasting does not mean no sand/silica. I cleaned for well over a month trying get it all out of the body panels, cracks and crevices. Every time I'd rotate the body bits would keep falling out....newbie to this and didn't expect that...what a pain :banghead:
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

With the body blasted, time to get some epoxy primer on it to seal it.

I'd never welded before and never painted. I figured if I wanted it done well, I should do it. Ok, maybe better to say the way I wanted it...no guarantee it would turn out well if I did it but was committed. Smallish town and no shops nearby that I would trust or were willing to do body/paint.

Fortunately I randomly learned I have a neighbor up the street who was a body guy for 40 years and who also taught at the college automotive program. He was a great source of help.

First challenge, didn't want to get a new big compressor that was good for painting. cost, space etc. He recommended a turbine spray gun. I had never heard of them so looked into them and bought one. Not cheap but cheaper. Runs off of 120v outlet, no water filtering required blows dry warm air, small enough to tuck under a shelf when done etc.

There are drawbacks, primarily limited gun choice. The unit I bought came with a great gun so was worth the price. Note to anyone interested - buy at least a four stage unit. I bought the 3M PPS adapter and ordered that kit with cup and liners and can spray any angle...love it.

Note size next to a standard drill. Sounds just like a vacuum and duty cycle is higher than a traditional compressor. The hose you see is more similar to a garden hose hence the need for a non standard gun and limited choices.

Next step, build a paint booth. Not perfect but effective. Fans with air filters and plenty of cross ventilation from windows and garage door. This was first iteration. It has improved with more temporary framing and more tightly secured plastic liner. I've also covered much more of the floor with X Board as I started to hang and paint parts. Not much cost but a lot of work.

Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

First spray was expoxy primer to seal frame, fenders doors etc. The start of a long journey. I did this before I put the xboard down so the floor was covered plastic liner

Good thing I had no idea how long this process is or I might not have done it :D

Next was fenders etc. Just sprayed and still a little wet

and now they've come down

now body and panels are sealed so time to shift focus to the frame. It was also sand blasted and has been sitting for a week or two while I focused on getting epoxy on the body.

My plan was to spray chassis with POR....hence the need for x-board. I was warned it is very messy and sticky and nearly impossible to remove. I found that to be true and am glad I took the time to add the x-board to the floor.

Cleaned, etched and prepped per POR instructions ...that isn't rust but a chemical reaction you want when etched properly and cleaned. At least that's what POR tells you

got it back in and started to ready for paint..tape up, remove rubber hoses etc.

after spraying. First coat went well, says wait three hours between coats. Cleaned the gun and went back a hours later. Missed some POR in the fan control valve and it was stock closed...impossible to fix. Second coat went on with it closed ie. a focused point spray. Not ideal but worked thru it. Had to buy new internals after ...that stuff can ruin a gun so a rebuild was in order. I learned a lesson and am even more detailed now in my cleaning.

That nice clean x-board served its purpose and has continued to perform for all the countless layers of urethane primes and abuse.

Last edited by Laredo Matt on Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E