83 Cherokee resto-mod

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

SJohn
Vendor

Re: 83 Cherokee resto-mod

Post by SJohn »

Awesome, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Owner/Operator/Chief Engineer of Johnson Production FSJ Parts
https://www.johnsonproductionjp.com/

1986 J20 LS Swap
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=17875

1981 Cherokee Chief - Rustard - 2JZ swap
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=22981

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

@Laredo Matt glad to see you plugging away a some stuff. You'll be driving and enjoying it soon enough. I took a break from my J-10 now I am about to get back at with with some vigor
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Hard to believe it's been almost 8 months since my last post. I'm still pushing forward but there are days when I go out and look at the jeep it seems like I've made very little progress.

Since my last post

- drive shafts in
- rear chromoly axles in
- custom brackets fabricated and installed for t-case shifter
- Finished plumbing all AC lines (help from @Sonaraed with the hard lines...big thanks Ed!)
- Radiator modified and installed and plumbed
- wiring, wiring and more wiring. (help with relays, motor rebuilds, a lot of wiring questions etc. from Josh @runuover86gw...huge thanks for your patience!)
- **a lot** of small things along the way I forget
- **a lot** of redoing things where I made mistake...half of my time on this project has been learning by mistake and redoing

I still have a way to go but did test fire it the engine for the first time about 2 months ago just to have a boost in moral.

Some pictures

A lot of modifications (nips, tucks, rivets & epoxy to the glove box insert to give me a mostly full-size glove box and still have room for all the Vintage Air Gen IV Magnum AC ducting and power wiper regulators. I know why jeep factory AC units were below the dash!

Adding wiring to column for cruise control for those long road trips I plan to take some day

Starting to rough in some wiring to see where things are going to go (a lot of redoes here)

I originally had all of my control boxes mounted behind the dash on the passenger side of the jeep and realized with it all installed and with AC etc. it wouldn't be easy, if possible, to get to them to service things so I made a mount and tucked them as tight as I could at the top of the trans tunnel. That meant moving a lot of wiring etc. but when the center console gets built and goes in, they'll be hidden but should be much easier to get to by pulling the console if I need to vs. having to pull the dash.

Front lights, blinkers, dash working but still have to clean up all connections with final connectors, wrap etc.

Taking a break from wiring and decided I needed to get heat shield under the driver side floor before exhaust goes in

Pulled both doors today when I realized I wasn't going to be able to fit the fenders without scratching everything up if I left doors on.

Had to cut a few wires and add connectors first but now they're come off pretty easily if I ever need to service in the future. Adding power windows, door locks & mirrors equals a not small amount of wiring.

Starting to get some order to the engine bay but still quite a bit of work to do there.

Next steps
- get fenders fitting
- finish up front body harness
- finish rear lighting
- Gonna have some custom brake hard lines done and then a fresh air intake build.
- after that off to the stereo shop to have custom speaker box and amp mounts maid and installed and gonna have them do me a PVC center console for now so I have a place to fit window switches, USB mounts, etc.

I got a set of PVC interior panels from BJs and some material to cover them. Getting some foam and glue and may do that on my own.

I'd like to say the basic wiring, two front hard brake lines, fresh air intake and stereo system and console will all done by the end of the month which means it will almost certainly be more like end of the year...maybe :)
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Looking good. Progress is never fast enough lol. But progress is progress!
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Looking good!

I see we both had help from Josh. His knowledge helped me from huh? To AHa! Several times.
1984 grand wagoneer
  • topaz gold | deep night blue,
  • AMC 360 v8 | 2019 5.7 hemi,
  • TF727 auto 3 speed | 8hp70 8 speed
  • nutmeg interior | sand or almond interior to be decided
it's a project now:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p197535

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Thanks Wim. Yeah, Josh has been a big help!

Question - I was browsing through your thread today to look at your engine bay and how you routed your air intake. I like how your filter is at front driver side engine bay. I wanted to do same, but my radiator overflow and washer fluid tanks are there. Did you relocate your tanks or were they in different location from factory? Where are they and what tanks did you use if you relocated?

If I can't route similar to yours, the only options are back of passenger side compartment which puts it near exhaust manifolds. No Bueno. Only other option is to figure a way to get it out in front of radiator and condenser and that is going to be cutting and a lot of work I really want to avoid.

wimsurf wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:52 pm Looking good!

I see we both had help from Josh. His knowledge helped me from huh? To AHa! Several times.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

true :D
Yeller wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:02 pm Looking good. Progress is never fast enough lol. But progress is progress!
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

I'll update my thread with a latest picture of my engine bay, the final place actually became passenger side, battery against the firewall. and I made a aluminum box that keeps hot air out of the way

sort of had to because the top radiator hose is driver side (not in this pic, but it will be as that hose is too short and does not have play) and the reservoirs are on the driver side too.
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

good looking engine bay. Passenger firewall won't work for me with the ECU, power management etc. all mounted there. I've got some decisions to make. thanks for sharing the updated picture.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

Matt Looking good. I just realized that after 27 Months of owning my J-10, I have driven it less than 300 miles. I am currently re-doing all the brakes, hardlines and master cylinder.

For brake lines check out Inlinetube.com they make brake lines for all our our jeeps as well as the hard fuel lines and you dont have to buy the whole set, you can just buy the lines you need. They also sell extended e-brake cables too. I have been impressed with them
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Thanks AKG, I originally ordered a full set of brake lines from them but with all the changes I've made, and am now planning to make even more, their lines won't work.

Unfortunately, I thinking I'm going to have to relocate the proportioning valve. With the manifold and exhaust location off the engine there is less than 1" .......maybe closer to .5". .... of clearance separating the proportioning valve and the exhaust when mounted on the frame int he factory location. Not a whole lot more clearance between brake lines either and I think that is a little close and a lot of heat. Don't know for sure but would be more comfortable with more separation.

I do need an extended e-brake line so will check them out. Moved cross member 3" further back to accommodate the new drivetrain so factory won't work.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

I've come to the conclusion I need to relocate my battery. I started a thread on the technical forum board.

If any of you have done it outside the engine bay and have suggestions or pictures, let me know. Appreciate any and all feedback and ideas

viewtopic.php?t=23965
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Laredo Matt wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:38 pm I've come to the conclusion I need to relocate my battery. I started a thread on the technical forum board.

If any of you have done it outside the engine bay and have suggestions or pictures, let me know. Appreciate any and all feedback and ideas

viewtopic.php?t=23965
I thought about that too. my idea was passenger side rear quarter, and then move the interior panel more inside so the area behind it is deeper. might even clear room for an air compressor.
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Laredo Matt wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:26 pm Thanks AKG, I originally ordered a full set of brake lines from them but with all the changes I've made, and am now planning to make even more, their lines won't work.

Unfortunately, I thinking I'm going to have to relocate the proportioning valve. With the manifold and exhaust location off the engine there is less than 1" .......maybe closer to .5". .... of clearance separating the proportioning valve and the exhaust when mounted on the frame int he factory location. Not a whole lot more clearance between brake lines either and I think that is a little close and a lot of heat. Don't know for sure but would be more comfortable with more separation.

I do need an extended e-brake line so will check them out. Moved cross member 3" further back to accommodate the new drivetrain so factory won't work.
I had the same matt. i first made a heat shield, but it still felt too close for comfort. Re did everything: I flanged the lines, extended them to the willwood master cylinder and used the adjustable proportioning valve that is high up. and out of the way from the exhaust.
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Laredo Matt wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:26 pm
if you used the stock holes in the frame (the rear ones) then you can use the front and mid e-brake cables from the 6-cylinder version of the Cherokee. i did and thy snap into place without fabrication. rear cables to the brakes remain the same.
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

wimsurf wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:24 am

I had the same matt. i first made a heat shield, but it still felt too close for comfort. Re did everything: I flanged the lines, extended them to the willwood master cylinder and used the adjustable proportioning valve that is high up. and out of the way from the exhaust.
I didn't do a heat shield but did use DEI heat wrap and still wasn't comfortable. Knowing the quality of your build, I'm in good company. Also planning to move the proportioning valve up on the inner fender or directly below the master cylinder.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

wimsurf wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:30 am
if you used the stock holes in the frame (the rear ones) then you can use the front and mid e-brake cables from the 6-cylinder version of the Cherokee. i did and thy snap into place without fabrication. rear cables to the brakes remain the same.
I used the two stock rear holes for the front location of the cross member and drilled new ones for the rear. I'll have to go look later to be sure when I'm home. Where did you order the 6 cylinder cables you ended up using? Do you have part numbers by chance?
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Laredo Matt wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:42 am
wimsurf wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:30 am
I used the two stock rear holes for the front location of the cross member and drilled new ones for the rear. I'll have to go look later to be sure when I'm home. Where did you order the 6 cylinder cables you ended up using? Do you have part numbers by chance?
this one at the pedal:
https://bjsoffroad.com/front-cable-1980 ... uto-trans/
and this one between the front and the rear cables:
https://bjsoffroad.com/middle-cable-198 ... -2l-6-cyl/
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

I checked a few items off the list since my last update.

All plumbing projects done now; Brake lines complete, bled and tested, power steering bled and tested, hard AC lines in
Stainless Exhaust done
Cold air intake done
Progress on wiring
Removed and installed new weather strip on inner fenders

I had planned a test drive for this past weekend but that failed. Basically, transmission won't shift out of neutral. Fault code P0900. Still trying to troubleshoot and see if it is a wire/connector related or mechanical issue.

I think it's the latter but haven't exhausted all inspections yet so fingers crossed it is simple. Otherwise, will need to get it in a shop and on a lift to have clutch actuator inspected and possibly replaced. A bit of a bummer and unexpected but good progress none the less.

Proportioning valve relocated under master cylinder and new lines installed

Brake lines relocated through frame rail to reduce heat exposure from exhaust and create more space in general for exhaust routing

Exhaust in. Kept with single exhaust for the factory look.

Cleaned up frame rail created room for exhaust on driver side and better airflow. Heat shield for driver/passenger comfort and heat wrap for fuel line.

Cold air intake routed to driver side. I still have to come up with a partial enclosure and thinking about have a 3D part printed that can mount in the inner headlight cut out to funnel more air directly to the filter through core support.

Thanks for feedback from various folks here and in tech forum where I asked for input. This seemed like best option. I'll add a radiator overflow tank on the driver side. One of the guys working at BJs did same for his rig so I have template to work from.

Wiring still in progress. I've roughed in and tested maybe 80% of the body harness so far. Going back and cleaning some up now that I know things are working.

Had struggled with how to mount the rear power distribution cell in rear quarter panel. Looked at Epoxies, structural adhesives etc. but wanted to be able to remove if needed so landed on magnets. I tried various strengths, sizes, shapes and types. Found the right mix and this is solid as can be but can still be removed. Magnets are 70lb pull, directional and shielded so no impact on electronics in Powercell. The worst part, removing the Dynamat and lizard skin beneath to get to metal.

Front body harness cleaned up for lights, horn, blinkers, driving lights.

Decided to add a weather pack connector on each side where harness routes through core support to engine bay and make it a sub harness. Not sure why I would but if I ever need to pull the whole core support can disconnect two connectors and pull it quick and easy as a unit.

Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Good progress, it’s the details that count. I hope you figure out the transmission issue quick. Good luck!
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now: