wim's '84 blue hemi swap - now with sound!

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Since the broken and chipped pig nose grill is going, what alternative do you like best:

egg crate (Boobie)
33%
razor grille
67%

Total votes: 39

sierrablue

Re: wim's '84 blue hemi swap

Post by sierrablue »

Nice! It doesn't sound like mine, but it has the same sense of quiet power from it, up until the point just before WOT, which is where it lets out this roar like a bat out of hell...

At least that's been my experience 😉
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
wimsurf

Re: wim's '84 blue hemi swap - now with sound!

Post by wimsurf »

Well, we started with the wood vinyl application.
This is the set from Wagonmaster. we still need to do the trim around it, but I'll need a bit of warm weather over here to form that stuff easier.
we applied wet, which makes it easier to correct little mishaps.
so basically we used a line front to back along the sides
applied thin tape to ensure straightness,
then taped the tops with painter's tape to attach them to the car, 
use a soapy solution in a spray bottle
wet the panel and the sticker,
use a squeegee to wipe out the water and air, and ensure nothing gets stuck behind it.
worked like a charm, with only one mishap, which we found out after hitting it with light when we were done, my son got a hair stuck behind the wrap on the passenger door. I guess that's his signature on the Jeep now

1984 grand wagoneer
  • topaz gold | deep night blue,
  • AMC 360 v8 | 2019 5.7 hemi,
  • TF727 auto 3 speed | 8hp70 8 speed
  • nutmeg interior | sand or almond interior to be decided
it's a project now:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p197535

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

That is looking spectacular!
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

it is officially moving under its own power again!

for the first time in 28 months the jeep has moved under its own power.

I had a bit of a struggle with my brakes, had a caliper that was faulty (new) that did not return due to a burr on the piston, had received the wrong brake shoes for the drums in the rear so the spring kit and brackets that came with it were just wrong (which I only noticed when I could not get the brakes to engage) and the hydroboost needed about 4 mm of adjustment on the rod to the master cylinder.

In the end we got it all figured out.

so with brakes, a working hydroboost and power steering, it was time to do a couple of test meters...
Cleared the garage (good time for some spring cleaning) and rolled it out..

well, that gas pedal takes some getting used to!
quite sensitive and with the open diff and stock 235 tires it was an immediate one wheel peel...
got a couple of things to dial in and figure out. but it runs, it stops, it shifts, and it steers...
there was something grinding lightly in the wheels, I think those are the balancing weights that they installed that seem to be exactly touching the calipers.

overall, super happy with where I am and motivated more than ever to finish this thing as fast as I can!
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Nothing like the first drive to make motivation to finish up 😎😎
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Mopar_guy

Post by Mopar_guy »

Congratulations! Don't you just love new defective parts. :evil: You can increase the pedal pressure by removing the side cover off of the pedal and inside you'll find a pair of springs. I took those to the hardware store and got heavier springs. One was to long, so I trimmed it to the proper length to get it to fit. Getting them in is a bit tricky. (a small engine valve spring compressor is a great help) It took me 3 try's to get the pedal pressure I wanted in my Javelin that is Hemi swapped with the original pedal mounted to the DBW pedal.
When I got my '17 GC, I did the same thing to it because the pedal pressure on those is to light for my size 11.5 foot. :mrgreen:
83 Cherokee Laredo

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Mopar_guy wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:30 am Congratulations! Don't you just love new defective parts. :evil: You can increase the pedal pressure by removing the side cover off of the pedal and inside you'll find a pair of springs. I took those to the hardware store and got heavier springs. One was to long, so I trimmed it to the proper length to get it to fit. Getting them in is a bit tricky. (a small engine valve spring compressor is a great help) It took me 3 try's to get the pedal pressure I wanted in my Javelin that is Hemi swapped with the original pedal mounted to the DBW pedal.
When I got my '17 GC, I did the same thing to it because the pedal pressure on those is to light for my size 11.5 foot. :mrgreen:
that is a great tip. I like to "rest" my foot on the pedal so I might try this. I have a spare pedal to experiment on.
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

wood print = done!
the wagonmaster trim is on. I was a bot disappointed bu what you get for the money fit wise..
If you look at how the original trim material is cut with a radius to allow for the prober bending without bulging up, and how wagonmaster is delivering a 750,-roll of plastic trim with no instructions, some cuts, handwritten tape to indicate what is what, and some missed cuts that I had to still do myself.. No sorry, about half the money that you spend for it would be enough.

If I were to sell something like this I would:
Make sure everything is laser cut, marked with printed labels, has detailed instructions, guides on where to start, where to stick, properly packed in a tube, and not a roll, basically make sure the customer does not instantly wonder if that little box was worth that much money..
it requires a lot of massaging to fit this (use paint heater gun to soften the corners, then bend and use superglue to keep them flat, only then start applying it to the car. On my 84, the front fender parts are too short by about 4 inches, so I now have 2 small rivet holes that I need to find a solution for (I am thinking a little LED)

anyway. it is on and looks pretty good.

Then I have been doing a lot of preparation work over the last couple of weeks, mostly for building the interior.
The dashpad, steering wheel, door cards, seats and bench are off to the upholstery shop. left an arm there, and a leg will follow) then I have ordered pvc coated foam board for the headliner, and beige headliner fabric so I'll be making that the next week.

I made the heater lines, and made the airco plumbing. mounted the condenser.
installed the restomodair heater / airco unit, will lose the glovebox due to its size, but I will compensate with a storage box underneath arm rest.

test fitted the heater ducting, tight, but fits. I will move the 2 center ducts into the location of ashtray and clock.

made a bar to fit on the stock fog light mounts, and fitted it with 4 5" driving lamps from a classic mini Cooper.

then got around to electrics (not my hobby)
fitted the remaining 2 relays: central locking and tailgate window.
big difference! all 4 locks drop and rise with a solid click, and all at the same time, not like before when eventually, 2 Ould come up and 2 would just move a bit.

also fixed the driver side central locking switch, one of the contacts just corroded completely. I had to replace the actual contact with new material (copper was gone, so soldered in some new copper material)

so you'd think everything works!?
almost.
Somehow my dash switch for the tailgate window does not, it never has, so I will have to debug this one.

I know the wiring grounds through he dash switch, and when switching you switch to power on one of the wires.
that would mean when I disconnect the dash switch the tailgate should not work..
the weird thing is, it does. so I am thinking that in a past life before me, they upgraded the tailgate key switch ( it is no longer original) and changed the wiring to accommodate that switch and thereby killed the dash switch function...
it will cost me a bit of time but I want it to work as designed.

if any of you have any tips or clear wiring schematics for the 1984 tailgate switch that would be welcome.
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Have you contacted Josh? viewtopic.php?p=222252#p222252 user runuover86gw

I have not bought from him, but he has a lot of useful info to provide on the window and door electrical circuits and switch repair. Seems he has a side business targeting these vehicles.

I wonder how long your rebuilt switch will last if you repaired it with plain copper. Usually the contacts in such switches are not copper but phosphor-bronze. This is a springier material that maintains pressure between the contacts. Copper is softer and both will wear out and won't stay in contact very well. Beryllium-copper is another non-corroding spring material which may be better yet, but it's expensive and working it can be hazardous - any filings or dust are toxic.

Beautiful Grand Wagoneer!
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

tgreese wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:20 pm Have you contacted Josh? viewtopic.php?p=222252#p222252 user runuover86gw

I have actually bought the relays from him.

the relays all work perfectly, I'll have to get the tailgate open and figure out if the wiring was altered eliminating the function of the 2 leads that go to the front.

My suspicion is that they did that and grounded the switch in the tailgate itself.
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

tgreese wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:20 pm Have you contacted Josh? viewtopic.php?p=222252#p222252 user runuover86gw

I wonder how long your rebuilt switch will last if you repaired it with plain copper. Usually the contacts in such switches are not copper but phosphor-bronze. This is a springier material that maintains pressure between the contacts. Copper is softer and both will wear out and won't stay in contact very well. Beryllium-copper is another non-corroding spring material which may be better yet, but it's expensive and working it can be hazardous - any filings or dust are toxic.

Thanks for the tip, the part that needed preparing was actually the static part that sits in the switch and not the springy part.I cut some small thin sheet and was able to put it back in, then soldered two new contact points onto the ends where the springy bit contacts.
I then sealed the switch properly before putting it back into the door and I used dielectric grease on all the contacts, they are right under the vent window so they will get some drips on wet days.
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

it has been a while, but things are done, lessons are learned, money is spend, and time is flying :)
  • Woodtrim is done! I Not so happy with the quality of the wagonmaster surrounding trim. If you see what they charge, this product is not worth that amount.you receive it on a roll, need to heat it to flatten, they are pre-cut, but some cuts are off and some even forgotten, then you need to heat it well in the corners, glue it, and once ready to install I found out that my year, and '84, is the only year that has a slightly more covering trim on the front vender that the trim from wagonmaster does not have, despite communicating the year, and it is covered by the wood print, so I had to cut that to have the trim fit around it nicely. wagonmaster should deliver the trim, lasercut, pre-bent, pre-glued, and ready to stick for that amount of money,
  • windshield is in! Installed in new gasket, used #M weatherstrip adhesive. first seal to frame, and then windshield to seal. i was afraid for the top trim part but that actually went in very easy: used 3mm nycon wire to open up the rubber, inserted trim, and pulled out the wire.
  • the headliner is in. I used corrugated plastic sheet, traced the original headliner sheet on it, and glued foam backed Alcantara fabric to it. love how it came out, and it does not seem to sag
  • The dashpad came back from the upholstery shop. love how it came out with leather and the stitching on the edge. good first impression for when the doorcards and the seats will be done
  • Dakota digital gauge set is in and working, Dakota will send a newly programmed BIM OBD module as it appears to fail at reading oil pressure from the ECU, which turns out to be a known issue with hemi and hellcat engines. as posted before, this is an RTX set meant for a mustang. which I bought because the location and width of the opening only allow for two dials when you want them centered to the column (OCD anyone?) so I recreated a cluster set with a new back plate, covered it with wood veneer like on the door edges, and centered the gauges in it, The chrome rings are actually rings meant to cut cookies, my wife does not know yet :)
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Only thing I can say is BEAUTIFUL 😎😎😎

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Mopar_guy

Post by Mopar_guy »

Looks great!
83 Cherokee Laredo

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Gorgeous. Gauges, wood trim, interior all looks amazing.

Your build is an inspiration to get mine done too! Still plugging along, just haven't updated thread in a while. Soon I hope.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

Topic author
wimsurf

Re: wim's '84 blue hemi swap

Post by wimsurf »

ok, stuff was done again!

The Dakota digital BIM (obdII) module did not read oil pressure, turns out that for the HEMI it needs a special programming. Dakota Digital promptly sent me a new module programmed for hemi upon my inquiry, so hats off to good customer service!

the upholstery shop finished the door panels, the seats and the steering wheel over the last weeks, so in between work, giving my wife a surprise birthday trip to Ibiza, and handling some other family business, I managed to install those.

Then it was time for a test drive:
I had to do a bit of shuffleboard with mustangs before I could get out
But I managed:)

test run revealed some issues:
  • Balancing weights in the front wheels rub the caliper brackets slightly, so I need clamp on style weights on the inside of the wheel
  • The radiator is not flowing properly, I have ordered a new one at BJ's and asked Ryan if it can be done with Priority - fingers crossed, car is now overheating with higher speeds, and barely cools down with 65 degrees weather (basically the radiator I had made is missing a restrictive part to force fluid through to the other side and back, as both of the inlet and outlet are in the same tank..
  • orange driving lights are not allowed in my country! so I'll need to wire them as turn signal only, easy fix
  • need some tuning on the transmission / check oil level as it is a bit jerky on lower speeds, and the Mishimoto thermostat started leaking when the temp increased, thinking of deleting that and going straight to the cooler.
  • emergency brake does next to nothing, needs adjusting (mandatory for road approval here)
  • need a front wheel alignment, steering is solid in a straight line, but left corners differently than right.
  • exhaust still a bit loud, not really droning under cruising, but a bit to much drag racer and too little luxury cruiser for me, might add an additional damper behind the rear axle
then the positive:

When I fix the brake and front lights it will be approved for the road again!
then I will create some interior additions like a good center console with things like cupholders and a wireless phone charger, even a carplay radio is on the way

Most importantly; it drives like a beast!
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
wimsurf

wim's '84 blue hemi swap - its driving

Post by wimsurf »

Ok, I got all the things that the authorities wanted to be fixed
-e-brake working properly.
-no amber driving lights at the front.

fixed the radiator temporarily by welding an AN20 fitting (I learned aluminium tig welding in this project, so cool to be able to make everything myself now) to the passenger side top, the hose is super short now and under quite some stress when the engine flexes, but I have pretty firm motor mounts. it will have to hold until I get the new radiator. (should be in a week or two)

Filled her up and went broke. (at $9,- a gallon over here ) and went for a test drive.
overall everything seems to be working properly, temps are consistent between 195 and 203 and nothing leaks!
went for a couple of short drives, checked bolts, listened for rattles, etc. seems to be solid.
Had her in a heavy rainstorm this afternoon and also there, nothing leaks!

The only thing I do not have properly set in the Dakota Digital dash is the fuel gage, does not yet seem to find the right level, I may need to do a manual learn (start empty and set, then fill it up and set again.

It cruises at 65 miles an hour with 1600 RPM and 75 miles an hour with 1950 rpm, it used to be 2400 with 60 and well I never had her up to 75 to be honest. If you step on it there is raw sound of thunder, a bit of drone (like some of you predicted with a double 3 inch exhaust) so we will see if I can bear with it or if I reduce the size of the exhaust, of create a quarter wave J-pipe at some point.

One flaw that I completely overlooked when I mounted the engine (I positioned the axle when I did, but did not measure correctly is that the novak conversion mounts that I have are a different shape than the normal mounts, which creates a challenge with the front axle differential. just before the bumpstop hits the axle, the pumpkin hits the motor mount..

several options to fix it:
- make new motor mounts
- get a lift kit
- make thicker bumpstops..

I think I'll start with thicker bumpstops., and then a lift kit and new motor mounts, which will probably end up with a complete strengthening of the front end

(after a couple of drives my mind already wanders towards a slightly taller stance, longer travel suspension, etc,

for now, it is time to finish the interior. (airco ducting, center console, sunvisors) and Drive!

1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
wimsurf

Re: wim's '84 blue hemi swap - Maiden trip!

Post by wimsurf »

OK, I'm a couple of months in, Did a ton of actual work over the winter (you know, the kind that pays the bills) and drove the Jeep a lot to list everything for beta 1.2 :lol:

As soon as it was road tested in October, i had the AC filled:
The restomod air unit works great, mixes heat and cold with very fine increments, and the fan is relatively quiet. I may reposition it slightly under the dash, as I think it can be mounted up higher still than it is now. I can still see it poking out from under the dash slightly, while there is maybe 2,5 inches of free space above it)

Since the Jeep was pretty much done, and my son and I were extremely confident we did an awesome job, we set out for its maiden trip!
from Amsterdam to Kiel Germany, mostly German highway, and about 650 KM to the ferry that would take us to Sweden.
then the next day Sweden to Lillehammer Norway, and then a roundtrip through the southwestern mountains of Norway, the fjords, and back to Gothenburg via Oslo. Final day after a night on the ferry, back on the German autobahn back to Amsterdam!

Everything under the hood is perfect, works great, and held up during the 2200-mile trip to Norway and back. We did about 20 miles per gallon, which is amazing!

some interior things must be done better, like the center console. the armrest was too hard, the cup holders were not entirely in the best position, the gear shifter was a bit too far to the center, and the carplay radio is great, but looks ridiculous in such a vehicle and will never match the interior. The AC/heat ducts were not as good as I hoped in terms of position. so I have a list of the interior changes that need to be made.

So such a trip is pretty epic, and the Jeep looks epic in that scenery too.

Image You can see I have a makeshift panel for the ac and heater controls here, I did that because I was not sure I wanted to keep it in this location

Look at that beauty in the Rondane mountains (look it up this area is insanely beautiful)

Norway had snow quite early in the season this year, we did the trip mid October
and more

what a view to put that Jeep emblem in!

It is safe to say the shakedown run was a success. We had zero issues in over 2000 miles of driving.

besides the interior adjustments there is a list of things that I want to do to the Jeep technically:
  • Springs - they are saggy and despite the Bilstein shocks I should have replaced them during the build, i thought they were still good, but the Jeep has sunk into the springs by over an inch during the trip.
  • exhaust. Some of you warned me already, that a double 3" is too loud. well, almost. at idle and acceleration it is great. pretty quiet due to the massive Magnaflow muffler I put in, but between 1500 and 2000 rpm the drone is ridiculous. on the highway, this is basically between 65 miles an hour and 85 miles an hour, pretty much exactly what traffic does in Western Europe. so I'll have to revisit. most likely going to a 2x2,5 inch from the catalytic converter into the Magnaflow, then merge into a single 3" over axle pipe with the option of putting a vibrant ultra quiet behind the axle if it still drones.
  • panhard bars. The Jeep is from 1984 and they did not fit Panhard bars then. on mountain roads, bendy roads, etc it waddles. so I'll get myself a kit and fix that.
  • power steering pump; the Holley hemi conversion pump whines, i tripple checked and vacuumed the hell out of it, but it whines. heard other buyers of this pump with the same complaint. it will be replaced in time with a PSC pump with a remote reservoir.
then some rattles have developed that I need to get rid of, but that's about it.

I more recently checked the 0-60 acceleration too (well 0-100km, so essentially 0-62.13mph) and it did it in 5.8 seconds! that's sleeper-level fast!

I'll be updating the thread when I get into the suspension and interior, which will be soon, when the weather clears up here (it has been raining pretty much for the last 4 months...)
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Glad you’re using it and dialing it in the way you want it to be. 5.8 seconds is wicked quick for a 5000#+ tank! Way sleeper territory 😎

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I would suggest adding a resonator to get rid of the drone. Before the muffler if there is room.

Thankfully springs are easy to change out, though I assume shipping to that side of the world is costly.

Awesome to see you driving it though! All that hard work is paying off.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ