wim's '84 blue hemi swap - now with sound!

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Since the broken and chipped pig nose grill is going, what alternative do you like best:

egg crate (Boobie)
33%
razor grille
67%

Total votes: 39

2nd Day

Re: wim's '84 blue hemi swap

Post by 2nd Day »

wimsurf wrote:
2nd Day wrote:How did you get the seat belt bolts and rails out? Much cleaner than mine!

Sent from my LM-T600 using Tapatalk
Heat! Those bolts only wanted to come out when properly heated!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Good to know, thanks!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Currently Jeepless (Previously 78 Cherokee WT-2 each, and 79 Waggy, 94 XJ)
Co-Founder of the East Coast Invasion
I live In Virginia :roll:

Topic author
wimsurf

wim's '84 blue hemi swap

Post by wimsurf »

Had to clean up the garden, garage, basically everything around the house but made some time to mock up the center console a bit with the 8hp70 shifter and new shiftknob:

The Dodge Challenger that got the engine and shifter from comes with this thing:

And on top of that is this plastic t-shaped knob: which has the shift indicator led’s built into the top.Image

As you can see it has the normal prnd and option to shift sequential with a manual up and down mode (like I want to drive sporty in the wag)

To make it look a bit more period correct there are few choices: I chose for this one from Barton:

Basically you mount the rectangle block on the original shifter, then mount the original leather boot to the bottom of this knob, and slide it over, then one retainer screw and it is done.

I do have to keep the shifter harness connected otherwise it throws a code. But I will extend the plug so I can mount the gear indicator lights on a good location.

I put everything in the super wagoneer console I have planned to use for this and that makes it look like this:

I will have to adjust the space for the shifter so it can move sideways, but I am planning to make a large part of the current chrome pieces in wood veneer anyway.

So far, happy that this looks like it will work.

Just have to make sure I find an elegant way for my np241 cable shifter to sit next to the console in the floor somehow.

1984 grand wagoneer
  • topaz gold | deep night blue,
  • AMC 360 v8 | 2019 5.7 hemi,
  • TF727 auto 3 speed | 8hp70 8 speed
  • nutmeg interior | sand or almond interior to be decided
it's a project now:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p197535

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

I love that Super Wagoneer console. First time I've seen one. Arm rest is funky in a very cool way I can picture the console it all cleaned up and wrapped in leather. It's gonna look great when you're done.

I've still got quite a bit to do before I can get serious about my center console. baby steps
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

az chip

Post by az chip »

wimsurf wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:04 pm So tomorrow it's garageday again. I just received a big BJ's delivery, so I have got enough to do. (rubbers, grommets, brackets, tons of small stuff necessary to rebuild the tailgate, relay kit, new wiring kit, etc)

Interior ideas are keeping me busy though and that stuff needs planning and ordering of accessories. One thing I came across a couple of years back is the highjack seats that were apparently delivered in Australia early 80's models of the Cherokee limited and wagoneer:

These seats look fantastic, exactly like mine but with integrated headrests, I will take this to my upholsterer and ask him what he thinks.

Is there anyone with experience in adjusting the shape of a seat? It looks to me like I would need to carefully take the cover off the seat, then somehow take the foam off without destroying it, welding an extension highback to the frame and recover it with new foam to the example of the original.

after that the upholstery shop should be able to reproduce with the original and this image as a reference..

any ideas on these?
I love that center console!
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

az chip

Post by az chip »

I have questions!
Did the trans hook up to the original cross member? If not what adapter? Engine mounts? If I missed this info I apologize.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

az chip wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:02 pm I have questions!
Did the trans hook up to the original cross member? If not what adapter? Engine mounts? If I missed this info I apologize.
trans does sit on the original cross member, I'll have to fab an adapter to get the outgoing axle angle right. did not do it yet, I;ll get to that in the next couple of weeks.
the engine sits on engine mounts from bf's offroad. they are Novak, and made for the hemi. just read back the thread and you'll see the pictures of the mounts.
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Ok, small update: tons of stuff came in,
This week I’ll completely insulate the Jeep with dynamat. So that next week I can install the side windows.

All my carpet and new seat belts came in so it is really time to get to the electronics and dash. I can finally color match the dash cover to the carpet and belts.

I decided to go with the boobie grille, it is in the best shape of the two ( also have a razor, but it is bent and dented)

For the boobie I wanted to have a bit more modern blinkers and I found these that are triple function: blinker, daytime running and fog light:

They look big on the desk like that but they are exactly the right size to fit in the grille, I’ll add a photoshop of them as my grille is currently not where I am :)

1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Wow wimsurf, that is a beautiful build.

I just brought home a much rougher '84 Grand Wagoneer this last weekend, and trying to find a TSM, and any other reference material I can find. My truck reminds me of a well used old ranch truck, that probably pulled a horse trailer, and tack & feed hauled in the back of the truck. Exactly what I was looking for :)

If you have any you can share, please IM me and I will get you my email or address, as I currently have not been able to find anything yet to work with.

Oljeep.com does not have a TSM currently, for the 1984 Grand Wagoneer, and not sure how close the 1982 one would be. I might need to download it, and see what goes where compared to the actual 1984 truck.

Thanks, and really nice work :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

devildog80 wrote:Wow wimsurf, that is a beautiful build.

I just brought home a much rougher '84 Grand Wagoneer this last weekend, and trying to find a TSM, and any other reference material I can find. My truck reminds me of a well used old ranch truck, that probably pulled a horse trailer, and tack & feed hauled in the back of the truck. Exactly what I was looking for :)

If you have any you can share, please IM me and I will get you my email or address, as I currently have not been able to find anything yet to work with.

Oljeep.com does not have a TSM currently, for the 1984 Grand Wagoneer, and not sure how close the 1982 one would be. I might need to download it, and see what goes where compared to the actual 1984 truck.

Thanks, and really nice work :)
I used the oljeep tsm from ‘82.
I could not use the engine transfer case or transmission info anyway so I used it only as a reference for my electric schemes and the braking system.

The electrics is a big challenge to me as I am more mechanically gifted than electrical.

But I’m getting there with the info found online

1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Thanks, and I think I will download the '82 TSM, so I at least I will have some base info to work with.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Worked on the interior top prep it for wiring:
Installed the brake, the brake pedal to the hydro boost unit (which I had to munt upside down as the cylinder on the right interferes with the valve cover) and the new drive by wire accelerator pedal in the right location.
then, and it took me a full day, but I covered the entire interior with dynamat, and the ceiling with dynaliner.

ceiling is not even in and it already sounds numb in there. love it.

and some more:
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Putting dynamat on the roof is a game changer for interior noise. Get rid of the drum effect.

This is going to be such a nice waggy.

Any expected issues with running the hydroboost upside down? Harder to bleed or anything?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Stuka wrote:Putting dynamat on the roof is a game changer for interior noise. Get rid of the drum effect.

This is going to be such a nice waggy.

Any expected issues with running the hydroboost upside down? Harder to bleed or anything?
I’ll have to find out, did not get to that yet, still have to order the pressure lines..

1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Didn’t catch it earlier but there should be no issues with the hydro boost upside down. Lots of them out there mounted that way.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Yeller wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:37 pm Didn’t catch it earlier but there should be no issues with the hydro boost upside down. Lots of them out there mounted that way.
Thanks, I was not expecting any problems, but very good to have confirmation.

I'll make some more pictures this week when I am back at the garage.
did tons of boring small stuff like organize the engine wiring, (getting the right engine harness wires to go into the cab in a decent manner) and I rebuilt all the windows and put them back into the doors, rebuilt all the doorlocks, greased it all etc.

Oh, and I finally made the trans mount. now all I need to do is make a new bracket for the brake, because I had to move the crossmember to the back by 5 inches (the 8hp70 is longer than the tf727)
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Summary of the work so far:
All the weatherstrip is in, so doors are done, they shut properly, new flextracks in every door, quarter windows have been rebuilt, woodworking vinyl re-applied to the door tops on the inside and polished all the stainless trim.

Also finished the pedals, pretty hard to see with all the dynamat in black and silver behind it. I am very happy with the placement, quickly threw in the driver chair to check and placement of the electronic gas pedal is spot on.

Also cleaned and painted the battery tray and put that back in together with a new optima battery.

First thought of changing the diagonal placement of the battery to a straighter placement but this fits like stock and there’s is enough to do already so decided to keep it as it was designed.

Underside:
Fabricated a transmission mount, the transmission is about 8 inches longer than the old one, so I was happy to see that the original crossmember can actually be mounted in 2 positions.
By using the most rear bolt holes in the frame and notching the crossmember it is exactly under the transfer case adapter.
Also it allows the transmission oil pan to be accessed which is a bonus.

Had to fabricate an adapter to attach the transmission rubber mount to as well.
Forgot to take pictures during the process of all this but here is how it looks:

Measured all the driveline angles, yokes and lengths and ordered driveshafts at a local driveshaft shop.
Should be a couple of weeks to get them. Once they are installed I can start on routing an exhaust!

1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Quick mock-up since my headlights came in:
I like the look of the Jeep wrangler LED headlights, but they are 9inch and would require too much fabrication.
I found some 7 inch version that look similar and they have ei approval ( not sure if that is true but it says so on the lens which helps with annual inspection)

Anyway, put the headlight and blinker/drl /foglight combo in the boobie grill quickly to see how that looks:

I like it so I will be polishing the grille the next week.

1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

az chip

Post by az chip »

Nice. You are going to be asked, what headlights are those?

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

what headlights are those :D

They do look great. Round don't work for me so going with a more classic look but LED. If I had the 200mm square in that style would definitely consider that as an option.

I'm looking at either the Holley Retrobrigths or vintage car led VC4000. The latter is a glass lens which I kind of like so leaning that direction.

Build is looking great!
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Drive-train look great. My t-case was a very snug fit. The 6L90 has extra clutch plates for heavy duty trucks so is about 4" longer which pushed the t-case deep in the tunnel. I fit so that's all that matters but I was worried for a while.

I think I moved my cross member mount back about 4" I think you said 5" for you. Guess I had another 1" to spare :)
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E