Next to a barn find 89 GW

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Anvil-3

Re: Next to a barn find 89 GW

Post by Anvil-3 »

Well, looks can be deceiving, attempted to torque to spec on the fuel pump and the JB weld exploded. Heartbreaking…

Thanks to devil dog for that idea, actually really clever. As any true professional would, I took the flat metal wrench for an old table saw, hammered it to shape and hit it with the ol’ electric squirt gun and came up with this abomination.

Took a bit of trial and error to get it perfectly plum to the other bolt, but success! Booger welds held to 18 ft-lbs just fine! My only concern is if the engine vibrations will allow the bracket to wear into the little aluminum edge and loosen.

I’ll have to plan some torque checks… all the engine accessories seemed suspiciously loose even after torquing to spec previously and only a couple miles on the rig since then. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Grand Wagoneer - under the knife

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Look at you go man :)
looks like a Cuban fix we hear about with their old cars, making something work when nothing is available.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
Anvil-3

Post by Anvil-3 »

Am I crazy? Is torque spec too high for the oil pan gasket?

Oil blew out the first one I installed yesterday and figured it was damaged or something, got a new one and noticed at 7 ft-lbs the gasket was blowing out and tearing.

At this point I just hand torqued until the gasket bulged and stopped. I’ve spent too many years trusting torque spec so maybe I’m in the wrong here. Really hope I don’t have to do this oil pan a 3rd time… getting really tired of stupid rework

Topic author
Anvil-3

Post by Anvil-3 »

Obligatory Christmas wagoneer post. Ordering up a new oil pan as a Christmas gift and hopefully getting back into this. Old one is all warped at the sealing surface and probably half my issue. Dying to put plates on this and start taking it on short cruises

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Nice :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Theodore

Post by Theodore »

very nice - Merry Christmas!
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

Topic author
Anvil-3

Post by Anvil-3 »

Took 30 minutes in the past 4 months to do anything on the jeep. Tested colorbond lvp spray (ford Lt camel) on a burgundy door panel. Certainly happy with how it came out. Close enough to not feel the need to get replacement door panels/trim in “sand” to match.

Probably going to get some tan generic seat covers until I can go for katzin

Hoping for some time and money in the next month or so to get through floor patching and an exhaust leak so I can start getting it back to complete and just troubleshoot stuff like the radio, wipers, high beams, and get around to heater core and AC etc.

Topic author
Anvil-3

Post by Anvil-3 »

Some more success this week, trying to work in 30min to 1 hour chunks in the evening to chip away.

Some help from Facebook helped me discover the my high beam issue was related to adjustment of the button at the end of the linkage and got that functional.

A little more research led to me my blinker delay module for the issue with my wipers. Turns out these aren’t produced anymore and junkyards or overpriced eBay stuff is about all you can do.

I figured what the heck and disassembled the module and found the issue, a couple broken solder joints needed to be heated back up and reconnected and I cleaned up the contacts on the… toggle thing and it works again! Well worth looking into for anyone with this issue before going on the hunt. Image

Topic author
Anvil-3

Post by Anvil-3 »

Contacts/toggle that had corrosion and I cleaned up

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

fyi ,educational update
the toggle thingy , is called a relay the coil is a low voltage electromagnet when power is supplied to it by a dash switch lower current and smaller wire size it moves the contact points to a closed position allowing a higher current load (amp) draw and wire size to run ,say a wiper motor or headlights or anything using larger wires and current, thats my educational class for the day,

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Good work Anvil-3. Excellent save :)