For everything related to converting and up keeping diesel engines in an FSJ

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Project Humpty '74 J20 Diesel Build

Post by zmjeeps »

Just moving this thread over here...
Hello all,
I've been busy working on this project for months now and I finally remember to talk to the owner about putting a post here on the forum detailing this build. I'll give a specs list, then link to a bunch of pictures. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Truck: 1974 Jeep J20. 40K original miles, barn find in Ohio.
Sheetmetal: NOS cab, fenders, valance, radiator support, doors. '67 Bed
Engine: Cummins 4BTA from a bread truck. Turbo charged, intercooled, 3.9L 4 cyl. 130HP stock.
Trans/Xfer: NV4500/Np205 from '90 Dodge 6bt truck. Same truck gave up its accessories for the engine
Axles: Stock J-20
Springs: Custom Alcan Springs 8 leaf front, 7 leaf rears (Replace the 3 leaf front, 2 leaf rear original springs)
Bilstien Shocks
Dual Battery Tray
Aftermarket Heat and A/C mounted in the cab behind the dash
Extensive Dynamat in the cab
Hydraboost brakes Discs front, Drums Rear. SS fuel and brake lines

Link to the pics: http://photobucket.com/humpty
Organized the pics a little better with better links:
All the Sound Proofing Pics: http://s689.photobucket.com/albums/v...umpty/Dynamat/
Progress Pics by month in subfolders.

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Re: Project Humpty '74 J20 Diesel Build

Post by zmjeeps »

Looking forward to taking first drive. Zack has been a pleasure to do business with over the last 14 months. A professional at every step. He kidded me about deserving such rare parts, NOS cab ect., my affliction started in 1978 when I got a 73 J-4000, (Abner) still use as plow truck, survived near 30 years hardcore 4-wheelin, I fixxed up a 69 2 years ago (Bufurd), (350 Buick) to cut Abner some slack, restoring a 70 right now, for kicks I guess. So Humpty is going to a good home.
Real tranny's have 80/90 in em
Jim

Thank you. Glad to see you found the thread Jim.
Just put a BUNCH more pics up in photobucket, http://www.photobucket.com/zmjeeps
The bed is primed, all the dynamat and dynaliner is done in the cab (except around the pedals and on the tranny cover). Roof, floor, firewall, rear wall, all done. Kinda eerie how quiet it is in the cab, even with the air compressor and such running.
Also go the inner fender mounted along with the battery tray, so its in its final position. You can see where we had to cut into the pass side inner fender:

Trying like he[[ to get it done in time for PA Jeeps. May have to go put together in primer . Any questions on the pics, let me know. Thanks,

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Post by zmjeeps »

The 4bta that is going in Project Humpty needs an intercooler. I pested Dusty and some others about how to do it and got some pics. Depending on what grill you use, you can hide a lot of intercooler behind the bigger FSJ grills. I put a couple of restraints on this design. While this project is going to get a razor grill, I wanted to be able to fit the intercooler in without cutting too much sheetmetal and maybe still hide it behind a Rhino grill if I do another one of these. I also wanted to keep the size of the intercooler (lxwxh) as close as I could to the intercooler that came with the 4bta in the box truck. So with all that in mind, I give you...

I got some 90 degree hose ends and that is how it will be coming through the radiator support like so:

Personally, I think this shot looks bad @$$:

Couple more pics here: http://s689.photobucket.com/albums/v...y/Intercooler/

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Post by zmjeeps »

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOFIREMAN
I love the fit, I'm going to follow your design when I'm at that point with mine!!!!

I'm trying to take good notes with part numbers and vendors where I get everything so if someone asks me in 2 years, 'hey, where'd you get the intercooler and what size is it?' I might be able to find the answer...

Its not a perfect fit, but I think its the closest available. I was trying to stay with the $200 premade sport compact bar and plate intercooler rather than an $800 custom made one that would look and perform just like it.

Zack

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Post by zmjeeps »

Quote:
Originally Posted by grand_wag_85
Looks good. Where is the heater box going to sit?

Heat and A/C is all one unit behind the dash. Lines run in under the battery tray:

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv25 ... C00414.jpg

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Post by zmjeeps »

Finally got to the point where it was together enough to tear it all apart and get it ready to paint. Got the inner fenders, rad support and valance and firewall all done in black. Jams and edges are going to be done in body color this weekend and then off to the paint shop!!! Also got paint on the engine. Cummins Beige...
Couple of pics attached, more here: http://www.photobucket.com/zmjeeps/Humpty

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Post by zmjeeps »

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikeX3
Hey Zach. Could you do up a Small expenses list of what you have spent. I plan on a 4bt soon as well but unsure of the cost. I keep hearing 10 grand or so thrown around. Thanks

The biggest expense will be the 4bt engine. There are several different versions with different HP outputs, so do your homework.
:Soapbox mode ON: Do yourself a favor and make some decisions before you start. Decide auto or manual trans. Overdrive or no. Example, if you want a manual trans and an overdrive, use the NV4500 that came behind the 6bts. Makes life easier. If you can find a whole dodge truck with the diesel engine, you can rob the trans and tcase, engine adapter and accessories. You can sell the 6bt engine to recoop some of the cost. If you want an auto and you are OK with a 3spd without overdrive, you can find a 4bt already set up for a TH400. That kind of thing.
:Soapbox mode OFF:
Once you have a plan laid out, its a lot easier to estimate cost. This is why some people spend years collecting parts to make the swap happen. It takes longer but can be cheaper.

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Post by zmjeeps »

It's been forever since I updated this thread. To busy working on it I guess. A VERY brief summary of what's been done since the last update:
All body panels edged/painted/assembled/gapped
Engine accessories installed
Underhood components installed
wiring started
Brake lines run
Fuel lines run
Governer springs installed

Tons and Tons of pictures on http://www.photobucket.com/zmjeeps/Humpty
Look in the folders in Humpty called October 09 and November 09

Here is one teaser shot:

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Post by zmjeeps »

Due to size restrictions and such, I haven't posted many pics on this site. If you haven't been lately, go to the photobucket site, www.photobucket.com/zmjeeps and look in the Humpty folder. Also check the subfolders in Humpty. Tons and tons of pics. It is FINALLY ready for paint. Of course, there have been 4 snow storms in a row and the body shop is backed up with fender benders. Should have color the second week of the new year! Hopefully some black smoke before then!

Zack

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Post by zmjeeps »

Haven't updated this build for a while. Finally goes to paint this Saturday, I can't wait!!!
Finally got a couple of little nagging jobs out of the way.

Clutch: I got the clutch master cylinder mounted and hooked to the pedal. Lots and lots of measuring and figuring before I drilled the holes in the firewall and the hole in the clutch pedal. I used a custom line to go from the Ford Master cylinder to the stock dodge slave cylinder that I used. I heard a ton of horror stories about bleeding this set up, but I didn't have any trouble. I put the line on the M/C but not to the slave. I put some fluid in the MC and put the hose back into the resevior. I pumped the pedal a few times until the fluid flowed nicely and no bubbles came up. Then I hooked it to the slave and bled that with the bleeder on the slave. Easy. I will post some pics of this later.

Brakes: I got the brake lines all hooked up and finally put fluid in the brake master cylinder and bleed the brakes. The hydroboost system is not yet bled because I still need to get a resevior for the power steering fluid. I have one in mind, just haven't ordered it yet.

That's all for now. Hopefully a ton more pics after this weekend.

Zack

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Post by zmjeeps »

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufurd
Zack, did you get the latest snow? I'm hoping it didn't delay the paint,
Nobody more excited than me about the paint, considering the it was to come up with a color. Let me know when it's SMOKIN.
You have done a awesome job of documenting this. I need to get you a pic of the 70 painted, Dark green and a brow LOL.

Unfortunatley, we did. 12+ inches of snow have yet again delayed the painting. It is once again scheduled for this weekend, and while no storms are in the forcast, we will see. I can't wait to see it sprayed!!!

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Post by zmjeeps »

And mother nature dumps another 15" of snow, so no paint this weekend either Back on the schedule for this coming weekend. Supposedly there are no storms in the forecast, but we'll see.

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Post by zmjeeps »

After what seems like a never ending battle with mother nature, Humpty is finally painted!!!!! The seams and edges and jambs have been done for a couple of months, just needed the exterior shot. Here is a teaser pic and the rest of the pics are here:
http://s689.photobucket.com/albums/v.../Humpty/Paint/

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Post by zmjeeps »

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Post by zmjeeps »

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmjeeps
GREAT BIG THANKS to EARL! and my dad for getting humpty safely back to the shop for me. I know traffic couldn't have been bad on a Sunday morning, but I'm sure it was still nerve racking, the whole .5 miles Thanks again man.

Zack

You have NOOOOO idea........................ ; )

Things went remarkably well, so much so that I am worried what is going to happen next!

Maybe things went so well since I was sooooooo feakin' hung over..........

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Post by zmjeeps »

Wow, I need to check the forum more often. Haven't updated in a while guys. I put some new pics up on Photobucket, www.photobucket.com/zmjeeps in the Humpty Folder, then June 10. Its really starting to come together...
Thanks for all the kind words.

Zack

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Post by zmjeeps »

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeeep
Project Humpty is gorgeous!

http://www.daveandwendy.com/Geeeep/Humpty/
Can't wait to hear it!

ZMJEEPS ...

Checked out the pics in the link above and they are lookin' mighty sweet my friend! Were you at some kinda car show or vendor show showing off your wares? What state is the build in now? I'm itchin' to see whats been done lately.

Thanks for showing it off to us.

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Post by zmjeeps »

For all of you wanting more information and pictures on this project, there is now a video discussing some of the things we did on this project. Take a look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Qp3faY7yg
Zack

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Post by zmjeeps »

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun
Like the color! Any completion date or is it like most of our projects?

Thanks man. There are a lot of better pics of the paint here:
http://s689.photobucket.com/albums/v.../Humpty/Paint/
It was really dirty in the video from being at PA Jeeps all day.

Now that the paint is done, its really moving forward. I hope to have it done in the next couple of months.

Zack

Topic author
zmjeeps
Vendor

Post by zmjeeps »

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJ-Earl
Not much action on this thread lately. We fired up Humpty a few days ago!

Not much action on the tread, all the action is in the garage!!! Its true, we fired him up for the first time. Some little details to work out yet, but its all details. Got a super smooth remote power steering resevoir I need to post up some pics. All the pics and videos that are up, are up at www.photobucket.com/zmjeeps in the Humpty folder. Thanks Earl...

Zack