City of West, Texas explosion

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
frank n texas

City of West, Texas explosion

Post by frank n texas »

Fire, followed by massive explosion, took place last evening in the small Texas town called West, Texas at a fertilizer plant on the edge of town.

2 known dead thus far, 160 to area hospitals with lacerations and concussion type injuries.....Several firefighters on site are missing and feared dead..50 plus homes destroyed. 1200 evacuated from their homes in area of plant.

Shock waves felt as far away as 50 miles...Blast equal to a 2.1 on earthquake scale.

Fire still burning and another explosion is possible...

Same fertilizer chemicals involved as was used in Oklahoma city building explosion.

West, Texas sits between Austin, San Antonio, & Waco....Rural farming area...

Thoughts & prayers are with those affected...

Brizio

Re: City of West, Texas explosion

Post by Brizio »

I just read the news...
My Though and prayers to all those people.

letank

Post by letank »

Aaaaack, an accident!
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

jdaniel83

Post by jdaniel83 »

At the time of the explosion I was about 50 miles north of where it happened and I thought a small earthquake happened. Turns out I was feeling the reminance of the blast. Can't even imagine what it must have been like up close. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone down there.
'89 GW, 360, Skip White HEI, Melling MTA-1 Cam, Performer Intake, Summit 600 Carb, 3.73 gears, 4" Suspension Lift, 32" Wild County MTX (mine)
'70 Wag, bone stock Buick 350, 3.73 gears (my dad's, grandfather bought it brand new)
'83 Wag Limited, completely stock 360, 3.31 gears, 92K original miles (family's rig)

Mars

Post by Mars »

Holy crap!

Did they find any of the firefighters?
Jeep: making ordinary people mechanics for more than 70 years.

1981 J-10 Laredo.
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =15&t=1409

oakknoll

Post by oakknoll »

Another tragedy this week..........

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of West, Texas and the surrounding area.
Peter

1984 J-10
1982 CJ-8
1982 Wagoneer
1991 Comanche
1998 XJ Cherokee
2001 XJ Cherokee
2007 Commander
2012 Wrangler

weekend 4 wheelers

Post by weekend 4 wheelers »

seen some guys loading up waters and food at H.E.B. here in town. they took them out there to west TX. if my wife did not have surgery today i would have been right there with them. her surgery went fine by the way.
82 waggy

WEEKEND 4 WHEELERS CHECK US OUT ON FACEBOOK

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Supposedly there had been complaints before of strong ammonia smells coming from the factory. But the inspectors said nothing this bad would ever happen if there was an accident.

By reading some reports of previous issues with this plant, it sounds like it was a time bomb waiting to happen. I have to wonder why the plant was inside the town limits like that though.

But very sad for the people that lost their lives, and the hundred plus that are badly injured.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

In our thoughts and prayers for sure.

As for the plant, the biggest issue will be what started the fire, and, assuming they are required to have some sort of suppression system, why didn't it work?

That fire would eventually set off any ammonium nitrate in the plant is a given, that the fire got started, and that it was not put out before it could set off the ammonium nitrate is a real issue.

weekend 4 wheelers

Post by weekend 4 wheelers »

from what i read they where looked into around 2006 about the smell. they "fixed it". also the news was blaming the VFD for pushing the fire towards the ammonium nitrate that caused the blast. i don't know how true that might be. blaming the VFD to me is dumb. these guys have no real training and go out to fight fires in the community they love out of the goodness of their hearts. im not a fire fighter but i did help with the VFD in colorado in 2001 during the forest fire. i had no training.
82 waggy

WEEKEND 4 WHEELERS CHECK US OUT ON FACEBOOK

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Thoughts and prayers sent. I've got family in Waco, so this hits home for me and especially for them.

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

My thoughts and prayers are with those folks.
weekend 4 wheelers wrote:blaming the VFD to me is dumb. these guys have no real training and go out to fight fires in the community they love out of the goodness of their hearts. im not a fire fighter but i did help with the VFD in colorado in 2001 during the forest fire. i had no training.
Blaming the VFD is silly. If I had to guess those guys had no idea how the plant was laid out and there's a good chance the building(s) or area(s) with the A.N. wasn't well marked.

I can't speak for that VFD or every one out there but I've had the opportunity to be involved with several and the training was indeed very real.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Mars

Post by Mars »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:My thoughts and prayers are with those folks.
weekend 4 wheelers wrote:blaming the VFD to me is dumb. these guys have no real training and go out to fight fires in the community they love out of the goodness of their hearts. im not a fire fighter but i did help with the VFD in colorado in 2001 during the forest fire. i had no training.
Blaming the VFD is silly. If I had to guess those guys had no idea how the plant was laid out and there's a good chance the building(s) or area(s) with the A.N. wasn't well marked.

I can't speak for that VFD or every one out there but I've had the opportunity to be involved with several and the training was indeed very real.

Yeah there's every indication those guys had no idea what they were walking into..

1981 J-10 Laredo.

bigun

Post by bigun »

And now they have looting going on

Mars

Post by Mars »

I'm sure Texans know how to deal with looters so I wouldn't worry too much about it :D

1981 J-10 Laredo.

Topic author
frank n texas

Post by frank n texas »

Security being handled by State of Texas DPS.....No worries about looting... :-bd