1979 Jeep Cherokee Build (at least the humble beginnings)

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

gixxerphil

Re: 1979 Jeep Cherokee Build (at least the humble beginnings

Post by gixxerphil »

Subbed...I just picked up mine in Chattanooga....waiting for my buddy to haul it down :D :fsj:

Topic author
Good Steward

Post by Good Steward »

First off, it has been ridiculously rainy here the last few weeks. So much for spending time with the SJ. But I am contemplating the mechanical upgrades, and need help with some stupid questions:

So, 1st stupid question, but the actual engine / fuel delivery mechanics are not my forte: If I have an EGR valve, can I replace with an intake and carb that is non-egr? I currently have the 2 barrel carb and factory intake. I am looking to replace with an Edelbrock Performer Intake and 600 cfm carb.

The actual motor will need some additional juice, as well, since it made an anemic 175hp from the factory. Looking at comp cams and head work (possibly a slightly higher compression piston, also??). Anyway, any advice about the EGR and motor in general would be great!

Topic author
Good Steward

Post by Good Steward »

Also, I was able to open, through no small amount of coercion, cursing, and penetrating oil, the box under the radio. This was actually a surprise to me. Guess I have a lot to learn about QuadraTrac, since I thought the linkage lever by the seat was the 4hi/lo selector. Anyone have links to the original owners manual?

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

Good Steward wrote:Also, I was able to open, through no small amount of coercion, cursing, and penetrating oil, the box under the radio. This was actually a surprise to me. Guess I have a lot to learn about QuadraTrac, since I thought the linkage lever by the seat was the 4hi/lo selector. Anyone have links to the original owners manual?

check out jubilee jeeps, they have a great write up on the quadratrac. The knob in the glove box is for the e-drive, it is used to select on road non locked 4wd or locked 4wd (50/50 power split between front and rear axles) the lever under the seat IS for high/low range :-bd
77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
"old blue" 79 waggy-sitting in Jake's full size jeep junkyard, traded for j20 parts
Also:
1986 Isuzu Trooper Factory Diesel/5 Speed
1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (weekend toy)
1984 GMC Suburban K10 6.2 Diesel/700r4/np208
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
"Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial"

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

If original, it is a full time 4 wheel drive. The front wheels are always working.

Look for a post from fulsizjeep and he has this link in his sig... http://www.jubileejeeps.org/

;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
Good Steward

Post by Good Steward »

jaber wrote:If original, it is a full time 4 wheel drive. The front wheels are always working.

Look for a post from fulsizjeep and he has this link in his sig... http://www.jubileejeeps.org/

;)
It is the full time 4 wheel drive. Just wasn't sure of what the selector knob was for since the 4Hi / Lo lever was at the bottom of the driver's seat.

Topic author
Good Steward

Post by Good Steward »

So, the motor will be off for rebuilding next week. I have purchased an Edelbrock intake, Holley 600cfm carb, Comp Cam and lifter set, Comp Cams HE timing set, MSD distributor, ignition box, coil, and cables. I am hoping that this will be a significant power upgrade. Plans with the shop (Performance Automotive, Signal Mtn.) is to not only have the heads resurfaced, but shaved down a bit as well to help build compression.

So, the plan for this weekend is to get the fenders and hood off and ready to have the engine, tranny, and transfer case pulled. They will start with the engine, and then into the transmission and transfer case for inspection / overhaul.

Strode182

Post by Strode182 »

Good Steward wrote:So, the motor will be off for rebuilding next week. I have purchased an Edelbrock intake, Holley 600cfm carb, Comp Cam and lifter set, Comp Cams HE timing set, MSD distributor, ignition box, coil, and cables. I am hoping that this will be a significant power upgrade. Plans with the shop (Performance Automotive, Signal Mtn.) is to not only have the heads resurfaced, but shaved down a bit as well to help build compression.

So, the plan for this weekend is to get the fenders and hood off and ready to have the engine, tranny, and transfer case pulled. They will start with the engine, and then into the transmission and transfer case for inspection / overhaul.
You'll want them to "zero deck" the block. After they order the pistons, they mock up everything and measure how far down the pistons are in the bores, and then the block is shaved to get the piston even with the top of the bores.
Also, make sure they know to measure for new pushrods before ordering a stock set.
*I didn't know anything about this until I had mine rebuilt.....learned this from these guys.

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

I like where this is going! Can't wait til my son is old enough to start helping :) great work so far definitely subscribing to this one.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2