1979 Jeep Cherokee Build (at least the humble beginnings)

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Good Steward

1979 Jeep Cherokee Build (at least the humble beginnings)

Post by Good Steward »

Guys - A little background story on what I am starting, and why:

My son has reached the ripe old age of exactly 12 1/2 years old (he makes absolutely sure to add the half). As he has gotten "older", his thoughts have not necessarily turned to the SI Swimsuit Issue (that I know of, anyway....), but towards the great outdoors and open road and just how, exactly, he'll get there under his own (right foot) power. So, we began a search for the perfect project vehicle that we could work on together to turn into a reliable, safe, good looking (His thoughts may have turned to that swimsuit issue after all since he wants to look good going somewhere??) vehicle. At this point we have had several deals either fall through or just didn't get there quickly enough to make a deal.

Until Tuesday, April 2nd.

I found a 1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief that is in rough shape, but not too rough (by scrap yard standards). Floor pans are completely rusted out, most likely from an aftermarket sunroof that has RTV all around it, the door panels are gone, the shift lever from 4 Lo to 4 Hi does not work, the back door does not open, and the carb is completely shot (even though the motor - 360 / 2bbl - idles smoothly when using a spray mister to inject gas directly into the carb), and it has a ton of surface rust on the exterior, but only rotted at the rocker on the drivers side and at the back of both rear fender flares.

My son was aghast.

I fell in love.

When I was a child, my grandmother's beau had a Jeep J10, my father, while he was still around, and mother had a Grand Wagoneer, and my oldest aunt and uncle had an International Harvester Scout II. We used to ride up to Tellico and Reliance during the summer for camping and swimming with my younger aunts and uncles in tow (I was the oldest child of two oldest children. My aunts and uncles ranged from 7yrs to 20yrs older than me). I remember how much fun it was for me as a very little guy spending this time with my family. During Christmas season, we would all load up and head for the woods and mountains in these vehicles and cut trees for the house. Just an awesome time in these old vehicles like this. That's not even mentioning hunting seasons or our fishing trips. I have even had a couple of CJ-7's, CJ-5's, and a Grand Wagoneer when I was younger. I would say these memories have directly affected not only my love for the outdoors, but also these types of vehicles. This is the same type of memories I am trying to build for my son and daughter, with this just being the latest extension of that.

The old Cherokee has the makings of greatness (or, at least, adequacy). After showing my son some pictures of the old Chiefs in good shape, he is 100% on board. The scope of the project is large with long lead times, so, I would like to start this to chronicle the father / son rebuild of an outdoor Icon.
I will post up some pics along the way, and of course, am happy to receive advice on this journey. Anything you can add, or point me in the right direction with this is greatly appreciated!! So, without further ado and longwindedness, our project FSJ:
Last edited by Good Steward on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
Good Steward

Re: 1979 Jeep Cherokee Build (at least the humble beginnings

Post by Good Steward »

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

That's a heckova' lot cooler than my first car! Nice job pops!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Very cool!

When I was 13 or so, my father and I set out to find a car we could build for my 16th birthday. After yet another wild goose chase (a '55 Chevy whose quarters were so rusty you could see the paint from the backside), we stopped to look at a '61 Impala (his first new car). He bought that one for himself, and thus began a long series of cars he and I worked on. We didn't always get along, but I'll treasure those days for the rest of my life.

And now, some 30 years later, we still work together on projects whenever we can. In fact, he is already making plans to come over from Youngsville, NC to our home in Lenoir City, TN to help with my engine swap, and I will soon be heading his way to help with his '59 Impala project!

Treasure these times with your son, he'll treasure them for the rest of his life!

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

Tell your son congrats :-bd But watch out!!! I started out on ifsja.org at 12 and its really changed my life. The reason I say watch out is that now I have 2 FSJ'S and I'm 13!!! Will be trading my first fsj (79 waggy) for parts for my j20 build :-bd Now we have a tie for the youngest member on the boards :D Where are you located? We're having a meet up at Jake's full size jeep junkyard in Burnsville, NC (about an hour north of Asheville) the weekend of the 26th, 27th, 28th of this month, your welcome to come along. There will be all sorts of fsj talk and he will learn about them quick. There are about 100 fsjs in the yard and you ought to be able to find just about any part you need/want. Good luck :-bd
77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
"old blue" 79 waggy-sitting in Jake's full size jeep junkyard, traded for j20 parts
Also:
1986 Isuzu Trooper Factory Diesel/5 Speed
1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (weekend toy)
1984 GMC Suburban K10 6.2 Diesel/700r4/np208
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
"Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial"

Strode182

Post by Strode182 »

Good to see your thread. Do you know how to weld?

Florida83FSJCherokee

Post by Florida83FSJCherokee »

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

When I was fifteen my father and I started working on my first car. He was a VW man and I didn't want a bug. I was definitely into the SI swimsuit edition at that point so along came the 79 VW bus. We still laugh about that thing. Bean bag chairs, porche engine , shaggy carpet ...so many bad/great decisions!

Enjoy the ride and definitely keep us posted.

I think your son may want to start writing Santa letter's. Cuz he's gonna need a welder for Christmas. ; )

Good luck,

JP

bigwalton

Post by bigwalton »

So jealous, my dad couldn't program a VCR, much less work on a vehicle. I had to wait until I could get my own project after I was done with school to start to learn. I always think about how dangerous I would be if I'd started learning as a kid.

Enjoy every minute.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
'77 Cherokee S - EFI 401
'84 Alaskan Postal Scrambler
'18 JKU Rubi Recon
'01 XJ - kid's DD
'01 XJ - winter beater
'18 Renegade

Topic author
Good Steward

Post by Good Steward »

Strode182 wrote:Good to see your thread. Do you know how to weld?

Yes, sir. It is one of my many underutilized talents. :D

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Congrats on the big Jeep. Cool Story too! :-bd Get friendly with the QuadraTrac system and it will be friendly with you. 8-) I look forward to seeing progress.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
Good Steward

Post by Good Steward »

So, we worked on it for a few hours today. Once we got the interior out, it wasn't as bad as I had thought, so a little good news. I was also able to get the back door open, which may or may not have been good news. It does not feel sturdy at all. We'll obviously find out more as we go.

Topic author
Good Steward

Post by Good Steward »

We'll need either some serious upholstery, or just go aftermarket with the seats. I haven't made up my mind.

As you saw in the earlier pictures, rust is a concern, so we spent a while sanding and adding copious amounts of Rattle-Can Rust Resistor (Better known as spray can primer)

Topic author
Good Steward

Post by Good Steward »

And a look at the heart:

Jeffsj

Post by Jeffsj »

Looks like a great project for a father and son to get some good quality time together. It may also be a great opportunity for your son to learn some colorful language. :D That should be a GREAT first vehicle! I may be a bit prejudice though. ;) Let your son know I get a lot of compliments on MY '79 Chief. Have fun with your project!
Jeff

Beast : 1979 Cherokee Chief
Engine : 2003 GMC 5.3 liter Vortec
Trans. : 2002 4L60e / Transfer Case : 1989 NP241C with Slip-yoke eliminator
Lift : 4" / Tires : 33/12.50./15 BFG KM2's
Dakota Digital dashboard cluster

My 5.3 swap thread:
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=767
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrqX1ip2KkM
Tad's SOA/Shackle Flip installation: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3347

Strode182

Post by Strode182 »

How are you feeling about the rust you're looking at? Is cutting out & patching something you're familiar with? Some guys have started with worse, but I'm glad I didn't have to. It looks pretty daunting to me.

What are your plans for it? Driver? Wheeler? Restoration?

Topic author
Good Steward

Post by Good Steward »

Strode182 wrote:How are you feeling about the rust you're looking at? Is cutting out & patching something you're familiar with? Some guys have started with worse, but I'm glad I didn't have to. It looks pretty daunting to me.

What are your plans for it? Driver? Wheeler? Restoration?
My plans for it are a mix between a restoration and a driver. I am looking to build something that is reliable front to back, top to bottom, while looking pretty darn cool. The thread you put me on here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthre ... 90&page=17 gave me some pretty big inspiration.

To answer your first question, I'm not too intimidated by the rust and patch panels. I spent 5 years working in a fab shop while working on my undergrad and graduate degrees in Mechanical Engineering. I look at it this way, there is nothing I can tear up that I can't either fix myself or pay to have fixed. :D I figured that if I was going to drop $10-$15k on a car for the boy, I might as well do it this way. It is also a good refresher of my roots, since I have spent about the last 9 years pursuing business goals.

Strode182

Post by Strode182 »

Cool! I was going to mention Marty's build by name, but I didn't know if you had got thru them all.

Glad to hear you aren't intimidated by what you see. You can probably teach us (ok me) alot.

Topic author
Good Steward

Post by Good Steward »

Strode182 wrote: You can probably teach us (ok me) alot.
It'll be easy for everyone to learn from my mistakes. I am positive there will be plenty to choose from.

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

My first car was a 1955 Plymouth Plaza. I loved that car. Paid 300.00 for it. I worked on the local farms during the summer to pay for it.

Nice to see a father and son build. I am about to start that process myself with my son! We're subscribed. :)

Road Trip

Post by Road Trip »

Great father son project! I'm subscribed.
Robert