Relay upgrades and other parts

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Relay upgrades and other parts

Post by sirrus »

Headlight relay harness - $110 (free shipping) (6 available)

Main features:
  • waterproof relay box
  • two 35A micro ISO relays
  • separate 20A mini fuses for high and low beams
  • ceramic H4 sockets
  • 12 gauge high quality GXL wire (16 gauge for trigger signals)
  • durable nylon braided mesh protects wiring from chafing
  • two mounting options - angled (with two sheet metal screws) or horizontal (plate with adhesive tape)
  • no splicing needed for installation
This harness addresses two headlight wiring issues that FSJs have - thin wires and lack of relays, which both results in rather dim lights. Stepping up wiring gauge and adding relays lets more power reach your headlights (brighter lights) and takes load off lights switch and dimmer. Daniel Stern has an excellent article about this on his web site if you want to get more into technical details.

Installation is easy and doesn't require soldering or splicing - harness plugs into stock headlight socket behind passenger side lamp, then you connect lamp with sockets on the harness and connect 12V and ground feed ring terminals. 12V power supply (red wire) should be connected to alternator output (stud on alternator) or to starter relay stud (1986+ only). Relay box installs on the passenger side fender with either screws or supplied mounting plate.

Relay kits (tailgate, windows or locks)
I'm not making them anymore, but Josh runuover86gw makes an improved, plug and play version.
Check out his kits at his Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/JoshsFSJRelayKits

3D printed parts

Tailgate glass bumpers - $5 for pair

Bumpers go inside the tailgate and prevent tailgate glass from slamming on metal horns when it is lowered. If yours are dry or gone and you're installing tailgate relays it would be a good time to replace those.

3D-printed from TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethane), they are flexible and resistant to abrasion, grease and oil. Installation should take no more than a couple minutes once you have tailgate access door off.

Here's a picture of bumper installed:

Door handle/armrest repair insert - $5 for pair (3MF files: left and right)

Used to fix door handle that got broken from pulling too hard on it or over tightened screws. 1 pair does 1 handle. For more details on repair check this post

Tailgate wiring grommet - $5 for pair

Protects tailgate wiring from chafing. Grommets are specifically sized for that opening in the tailgate, are easy to install with RTV and cover metal edges.

Here is how it looks installed (not glued yet though)

If you have any questions or want to order - ask in this thread or shoot me a PM
Last edited by sirrus on Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

refinemrh

Re: Relay upgrades and other parts

Post by refinemrh »

how do I purchase the tailgate kit?

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

refinemrh wrote:how do I purchase the tailgate kit?
PM sent
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Received more parts today so I'll be building more boxes when my hand is functional again :) Have 6 ready to ship now

I'm starting to make headlight relay harnesses soon - same style waterproof housing as relay modules holding 2 35A relays and 2 20A mini fuses, 10/12 gauge GXL wires and plug-and-play installation (no cutting or splicing). Stay tuned!

Abdelhassan

Post by Abdelhassan »

Please pm on how to purchase relays

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Abdelhassan wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:39 pm Please pm on how to purchase relays
PM sent

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Headlight relay harnesses took longer than I thought due to ton of other things I had to do, but I'm getting close

Ceramic connectors, so it's safe to use with high wattage bulbs

Two relays and fuses in the waterproof box

Double checking if I got all wires long enough

Everything looks good, so last part left is to finish mounting plate and it's ready. You can also see my first version of harness installed in the last picture (mess of wires and orange plastic thingy) - new one looks so better and cleaner.

Oh, and mounting plates are yellow now :D

killerinstinct

Post by killerinstinct »

Congrats! looks like your kits are coming along, I will PM you as soon as I'm ready to do my window relays

Cesar

ZBRA

Post by ZBRA »

So, let me make sure I understand this correctly regarding the door locks. I have a 1983 2-door Cherokee. If I install one relay box in the passenger side door, it will convert my door lock actuators to relay fed power in both doors?

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

killerinstinct wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:08 pm Congrats! looks like your kits are coming along, I will PM you as soon as I'm ready to do my window relays

Cesar
Thanks!
ZBRA wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:25 am So, let me make sure I understand this correctly regarding the door locks. I have a 1983 2-door Cherokee. If I install one relay box in the passenger side door, it will convert my door lock actuators to relay fed power in both doors?
Yes, that's correct. Same for 4 doors - one relay box in passenger door for all 4 doors to be relay fed. Front passenger door is where all door lock actuators are tied together - even signal for drivers lock goes from drivers door to passenger one first and then back to driver door actuator.

ZBRA

Post by ZBRA »

Cool. I need three of them. How do I order?

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

ZBRA wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:19 am Cool. I need three of them. How do I order?
PM sent

78Chief

Post by 78Chief »

Very cool! Flagging this post and will order rear tailgate kit and headlight kit as well once I get through some motor side projects. Ive learned not to buy in advance, fills up the garage with too many projects and gets distracting. :)

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

78Chief wrote:Very cool! Flagging this post and will order rear tailgate kit and headlight kit as well once I get through some motor side projects. Ive learned not to buy in advance, fills up the garage with too many projects and gets distracting. :)
Thanks! Lots of parts laying around waiting to be installed can be distracting and messy, but can also be motivating to put them on Image for me at least. And I’m always tempted to buy half of the store when I need just couple of things!

I’ll be adding more 3D printed small parts (both rubber and plastic) soon. And if anyone needs something printed (or modeled and printed) - let me know, I’m always ready to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78Chief

Post by 78Chief »

One more question on the kit for the headlights. Would this kit help with any LED headlight kits? Older wiring is known to have issues supporting an LED headlight. I would think these upgrades would address all of that, but want to verify to be 100%. Have you had a customer test? If not, I might be your first in a few months.

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

I didn't have a chance to test it with LED lights yet, so can't be 100% sure. What kinds of issues do people run into with LEDs? If it's flickering lights when they are off, that can be addressed by using SPDT relays instead of SPST and a slight change in the harness, so it would be grounding positive terminal of the bulb when it's off instead of just breaking connection to 12V.

When I did my rig, I went with H4 conversion lights from Hella and couldn't be happier about it. Lots of light and much better pattern once aimed properly.

Atlasts

Post by Atlasts »

I would like to order a headlight harness for my 1977 Jeep J10. Please let me know how to order.

Thanks,

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Atlasts wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:55 am I would like to order a headlight harness for my 1977 Jeep J10. Please let me know how to order.

Thanks,
PM sent

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

From now on I'm going to be including new type of t-taps for relay modules. I've also considered Posi-taps, but these are more durable

Old style taps sometimes required wrapping with tape or something else to keep them from disconnecting. Shouldn't be an issue with these

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Okay. I’ll take A headlight, power windows and locks setup. I have a Serhills tailgate one already. Also two rear door repair blocks. Maybe you’ll give me a package discount and come to Coos Bay and install it all.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.