Edelbrock intake and carb vacuum gurus - help me finish!

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ShawnQ

Edelbrock intake and carb vacuum gurus - help me finish!

Post by ShawnQ »

I've got everything back together except my vacuum lines and fuel lines. I was about to hook it all up, but while reading about the right way to do it...I realized the previous setup was fairly jacked up so I need to change it.

2131 performer and 1406 carb
No emissions system
No charcoal cannister
Cheapo round air filter assembly with no cutouts or hosed attached

Here's how it was when I got it:

1) Brake booster hooked up to large fitting on the carb base, front side center. This should be fine, right?

2) 2 hard lines coming up on passenger side of bell housing, from tank, fitted to soft hoses, then attached to a 2-to-1 attachment. Then connected to large port of 2-prong vacuum fitting on front passenger side of intake. I assume these went to charcoal canister. Should these be attached directly to the manifold vacuum? 2ND Port on this fitting is capped.

3) vacuum ball hooked up to fitting behind the carb on the intake. This should be fine, right?

4) small fitting behind carb on the intake, on passenger side was open (vac leak) so I capped it. I feel this is too small for pcv but ill use it for tuning with a vac gauge.

5) pcv port on intake was capped. I have a grommet but not sure which pcv to use or where to plumb it. Where should I get pcv vacuum?

6) oil fill breather was open to atmosphere. It has a large hose coming off of it that I assume went to the stock air cleaner assy. My cheap filter housing has punchouts in it I could probably plumb it to...

7) rear center port on carb base is plugged. Do I need it for anything? Maybe pcv?

8) front passenger port on carb is connected straight to distributor. This seems to work fine.

Any input here is appreciated. My main concern is what to do with pcv and whether or not fuel vent hoses are o.k. being connected straight to manifold vacuum.

As for fuel- outlet on the stock pump faces up. There is a soft 1/4" hose that runs to the 'in' side of a universal filter. The outlet goes straight to the carb fuel port. The fitting above the outlet I assume is a return...it runs down to the hard line on driver's frame.

When I got the jeep...the return and outlet fuel lines were switched, so it would starve for fuel. After I switched it, it ran good and had good vacuum.

I just want to hook it up the best way for functionality...even though it worked previously. I tore it apart due to a lot of oil leaks ehich were likely caused by the capped PCV.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Shawn
1988 Grand Wagoneer, , 6" on 33x12.5 BFG M/Ts & Mickey Thompson Classic wheels
Currently undergoing a 5.3/6L80E/NP241C swap!
You can view my Build/Work In Progress thread by clicking HERE!

csuengr

Re: Edelbrock intake and carb vacuum gurus - help me finish!

Post by csuengr »

This would be easier with pictures, but here I go.

1. Move the front center port, where you have brake vacuum now, to the rear of the carb and use this for the PCV. Get a PCV valve from local McParts for the year of vehicle. Put plug in front center port.
2. Brake vacuum comes from the large port on the two prong fitting on the front of the intake.
3. Vacuum ball (reservoir) you have done correctly.
4. Those two hard lines (gas tank vents) should not be hooked to any vacuum source, as you will run way rich, not to mention starve the pump for feul. They need to go to a canister. It is never a good idea to have the gas tank vented to atmosphere.
5. The breather cap, in the old days, used to just be vented to atmosphere. You can keep it as such, just make sure there is a filter in it.

everything else sounds good.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Topic author
ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

Thanks for the info.

I'm looking for a charcoal canister...in the meantime I'll leave the lines to atmosphere.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Charcoal canister can be fabbed from a new one. Search the mothership while it's still up for a part #. I don't have it handy right now.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Ristow

Post by Ristow »

i toss the charcoal can on all of mine. my '77 J20 didn't have one from the factory. it's just not a big deal to delete it.
It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Topic author
ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

Ristow wrote:i toss the charcoal can on all of mine. my '77 J20 didn't have one from the factory. it's just not a big deal to delete it.
What did you do with your lines? Leave them open to atmoaphere in the engine bay?

I've got a young child, and would rather not have him smell like fuel fumes and exhaust after a ride in the jeep.

Thanks
Shawn

Ristow

Post by Ristow »

yep. and it doesn't smell a bit. my cherokee has been in the shop all winter here at work,not even a wiff of gas. of course,any exhaust smell is unrelated to the charcoal can. same with my J20,no odor issues,which does not have the charcoal can from factory.

you can cap the lines under the hood and vent thru the cap,like they did for decades,into the 70's.
It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Topic author
ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

Ristow wrote:yep. and it doesn't smell a bit. my cherokee has been in the shop all winter here at work,not even a wiff of gas. of course,any exhaust smell is unrelated to the charcoal can. same with my J20,no odor issues,which does not have the charcoal can from factory.

you can cap the lines under the hood and vent thru the cap,like they did for decades,into the 70's.
Are the factory caps vented on the late 80s or will I need an older cap?

Ristow

Post by Ristow »

they're not,they have a plastic check valve in them. i drill mine out with a small drill bit,just thru the plastic check valve,not the cap.

Topic author
ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

Thanks for all of the help. I got it back on the road tonight!

I have a few kinks to work out but so far so good.

Shawn