york based OBA system?

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
muddy

york based OBA system?

Post by muddy »

for those of you that have converted your AC to OBA (with york compressor), did you leave the compressor laying down, or did you turn it vertical? What about the "oil mod", is that something that is really necessary?

thanks,
muddy

jsinajeep

Re: york based OBA system?

Post by jsinajeep »

You will want it vertical. When I did my first one without the oil mod it put a lot of oil in the in-line oil trap
and then I did the mod and it will still pump some oil but not near as much.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I've ran various OBA systems including a couple with york compressors.

You want the compressor to be vertical. Then you will need to flip the upper radiator hose around so it fits.

But the bottom line is that a york system is a PITA and here is why;

It will always have oil in the system (even with the mod)
You must run the engine for it to work.
The hoses will always develop leaks
It's hard to keep enough pressure to actually run air tools

So in short, I think the best OBA system is a GOOD electric compressor. I don't mean one of those ~$100 chinese compressors. I'm talking about a GOOD one that actually puts out some good CFM.

Topic author
muddy

Post by muddy »

Well, My AC has lost it's charge, and I doubt I'll ever make it functional (I grew up without AC, and even though my DD has it, I never use it). I'm looking into the possibility of installing air bags to help with sag and towing. Running air tools from the OBA would be a rare occurrence, and only short bursts at that (like breaking lug nuts loose).

Not to mention, I already have everything else needed to do the conversion (tank, pressure switch, blow off valve, manifold, and hoses) setting in a box in the garage.

Other than the Chinese compressors, what are the 12V electric options?
I have seen the Oasis compressors, but those are super $$$, and unless I'm mistaken, they use a York as the compressor.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

I have been running a York for OBA for 7 years now on my CJ. I use it for airing up my tires and running the ARB's. I don't remember if I did the oil mod, but it is mounted verticle and it doesn't pump oil, at idle. If I try to use it with the engine about 1500 rpm, it will pump some oil. It will run air tools if you use a tank. Though I have run a die grinder off it with the engine set at ~1700 rpm. Ran it fine, plus automatic tool oiling. :D

My hoses don't leak. My ARB fittings leak because I didn't have a 1/8" BPT tap for my air manifold.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

muddy wrote:
Other than the Chinese compressors, what are the 12V electric options?
I have seen the Oasis compressors, but those are super $$$, and unless I'm mistaken, they use a York as the compressor.
That is my question too. I know the dual cylinder Warn compressors are AWESOME, but they cost around $400 and I don't see them on their website anymore.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Viaircorp.com

They are spendy, and some are slow.

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

I personally find the electrics way too expensive to justify the cost. I ran my York vertically and it would fill up tires pretty fast and also ran my front ARB. I have a tiny little tank in the back that doesn't do much to reduce duty cycle :) I never had hose leaks in the few years I was running it that way, FWIW.

Do the electrics use the car battery or a portable battery for power? I would've though you'd have to run the engine no matter what -- whether to recharge a portable or to keep a charge on the car battery. :?:

My OBA is out temporarily for the TBI install.

(Oh, here's a link to how I did mine: http://tc.wagoneer.org/2012/08/on-board ... stall.html)
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

jamesdart

Post by jamesdart »

i set mine up verticle, i didnt do the oil mod but still need to get some belts to run it. i made a rear bumper out of 4" pipe and plumbed the system with 1/2" hydraulic hose. i had a viar 450c and i think it sucked. took forever to fill up a small tank, i think that was one of the bigger ones. would be ok if you got 2 of them. i always wondered about running a power inverter, and a 2 or 3 gallon 110v compressor like the craftsman hotdog tank, oil filled compressor, they used to be on sale around 100 bucks. i looked into it at one time i forget the size inverter required. would probably fit in the quarter panel on a waggy or behind the seat in a truck.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I've been trying to find the serpentine pulley for my York in the Eagle so I can run serp instead of Vee belts, but it has onboard air for the air ride system already
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

jamesdart

Post by jamesdart »

i remember something about the big trucks still using yorks and they use serpentine belts. people are using those to run york on newer vehicles. i forget what site i saw that on. jeepforum or pirate.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

You can buy them. I know Kilby has them, but the are VERY proud of them. My dad has found them for around $80.

Mr. Goatman

Post by Mr. Goatman »

My local propane company uses a york connected to a briggs engine with a v-belt to pump home tanks back into the truck. The whole think is mounted to a 3 foot chuck of 2x12.
87 GW SOA/SF on 33"
87 Diesel Goat- Project Isuzu 4BD1T, 47RH, NP205 Front and Rear D60 5" Lift and 285-75x16 St Maxx
88 GW "Blue"- Next project! 6.2 GM/ 700R4, NP 203, Banks kit

lindel

Post by lindel »

Has anyone considered one of the powertank type options? I'm thinking of going this way and would like some opinions.
Lindel

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

They're several hundred dollars, too. For similar money, you can get a nice electric compressor but you would have to add a tank if you want to run air tools.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

MT1

Post by MT1 »

I run my York upright for filling the 38"s. Works great and quick. No oil mod yet and may never get around to it for as much as its used. Dont forget to run a length of aluminum or copper tube on the delivery side. After you melt your first hose you learn just how hot the delivery side gets! LOL
Change is Opportunity