1979 Wagoneer

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
Jcardon

1979 Wagoneer

Post by Jcardon »

Just thought I'd post up my wagoneer. I lurked around the old site for a while. Mostly just bought things from people.

I bought my wagoneer from a guy here in NM about 18 months ago. It came with a 360/TH400/D20/OD. It's been a strange trip with it so far.

About 500 miles after I bought it the TH400 started acting kinda weird. It would not shift out of 1st. Luckily it started this 20 miles from my house rather than the 120 miles earlier that day! I replaced the governor gear in the tranny and worked fine ... for about 100 miles. Then it did it all over again. At this point I found a T-18/D20 localish (for NM). I swapped the trannies and now I'm thinking of how to get the OD that came with it back into it.

I've done quite a few small fixes on it (hard to imagine). One quick story. Recently I replaced the fuel lines. I guess I must have missed something or one of the few lines I didn't replace must have cracked. I was pulling into the gas station when I stalled out. I could see "vapors or steam" coming from under the hood. This turned out to be smoke. My intake had a small fire on it as I was sitting at the gas pump. Of course the patrons in my immediate area were not too keen on being helpful. All I heard were closing doors and speeding engines as everyone left the station. I got the fire out with an extinguisher from the store. It's actually kinda lucky I started on fire at a place that had a fire extinguisher. I've heard it before, but now I carry a fire extinguisher everywhere!

I wish I had a few more pics, but these will have to do. I've already learned so much by reading on the old site and working on my jeep. I hope to learn more here, maybe pass on what I learn to others. I've got some plans on mostly small things: hydraulic clutch, drop pitman arm, new seatbelts, etc.

Looking forward to it!

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: 1979 Wagoneer

Post by Stuka »

Is that a ranger overdrive? Not real common but nice to have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Jcardon

Post by Jcardon »

I'm not sure on what OD that is. The only identifiers I've found are GV dts 115240. The GV made me think it's a gear vendors, but when I contacted them they said they don't mate to a D20. It came with the wagoneer when I bought it so I'm still trying to figure it out. My plans for it are to rebuild the D20/overdrive while they're off the jeep and then swap them in. I guess I need to do some digging to find out whether it's a ranger or not.

rabbott1

Post by rabbott1 »

Yeah the fire extinguisher is the first thing you see when you open my drivers door. Mounted on the floor beside the drivers seat. When I brought it home the girlfriend seen it and said "well that's a good sign" lol!! :D