QuadraTrac PSA for 2018

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Maladroit

Re: QuadraTrac PSA for 2018

Post by Maladroit »

Thanks for posting. Do you have a link to your channel? I would be interested in watching that, even though I have only been around the transfer case, never owned one.
I was not sure if linking my channel would be welcomed on this forum or if it would be considered advertising, but I can assure you that my tiny channel is not monetized at all. I have never made any videos before and it shows lol. However, I welcome anyone from here to correct my mistakes, tell me I'm an idiot, etc. in the comments.

I figure many FSJN folks know more than I do about QTs so the content may not be very informative to you guys. However, perhaps the QT-TH400 bearing is of interest and I also came up with a solution (perhaps imperfect solution) for the output shaft bearings. I will be inspecting those later today.

https://www.youtube.com/@maladroitmechanic

Maladroit

Post by Maladroit »

I installed one of those AA transmission output shaft bearings tonight and it fits nicely. The old bearing would slide in and out of the tail housing adapter easily by hand but the new bearing is just a few thou larger OD so I had to tap it in with a hammer. Otherwise, it fits just like the original. If I encounter any problems with it I'll report back.
20221202_171722.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Maladroit

Post by Maladroit »

I need to amend my previous statement because there was a small problem with the AA bearing. Before installing, I carefully compared all the dimensions but forgot to check the OD of the snap ring. When bolting the QT in I noticed the last thread on each of the 4 bolts had some resistance instead of firmly bottoming out. The next morning I found a substantial transmission fluid leak and assumed I dinged the shaft seal so I pulled the QT back out. It turns out the shaft seal was fine, but the bearing was stuck in the QT instead of the trans adapter (pic below) which prevented the QT sealing to the adapter. The gap it left was not visible but it leaked nonetheless. The snap ring OD of the new bearing measures 3.785" and the old bearing measures 3.758". The difference is in the snap ring itself. So, the old snap ring on the new bearing measures 3.755" and fits the recess in the QT like a glove. After a few miles driven, all is good, not even a tiny leak which is a huge improvement over the QT I pulled out which has been peeing trans fluid and TCL-1 for quite some time.

Anyway, if you use this bearing, check the snap ring fit in the QT before assembly.
20221203_120159.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OldFarmTruck22

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

This is very helpful. Thanks!
78 FSJ AMC 360 Quadratrac

Maladroit

Post by Maladroit »

To address the unobtanium output shaft bearings, I had a bearing manufacturer here in the US machine and press-fit a sleeve onto an off-the-shelf 6206Z bearing. I had to meet the minimum order quantity for them to do the job so I have more than I need. The extras are for sale over on ebay if anyone is in need. The first set installed perfectly and no problems after about 1000 miles.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304759394548
QT Bearing OD.jpg