Money Badger is DONE! No, not really. You know better.

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
REDONE

Re: Money Badger is DONE! No, not really. You know better.

Post by REDONE »

YEPA401 wrote:You know there was a time when you could have posted a "destroy thread". Destroyed a Honda. Destroyed a Buick. Destroyed a GMC. Destroyed a Dodge (or two). Probably a few others I don't know about. Proud to see what you done with that JTruck. Keep it going.

Haha! Yeah Dad, I hope I don't have to restore a car for every one I've destroyed! I doubt Money Badger will ever be as slick as Yepa' though! :-bd
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Well, it was a body work filled weekend, but wth far too much screwing around and drinking beer with neighbors. I set out to smack the bed as straight as I could, moving at a fast clip and taking lots of pics along the way. You should all probably be happy that didn't happen because I still have way more pics for two days of hammering and drinking beer than you'd probably want to look through and I'd post them all!

Anyways, I went to take pics of the damage challenges, but on the second one I decided to just take pics of me getting that roughed back in to shape, and then I just went bonkers trying to get stuff done while constantly being interupted by neighbors.

I made good progress on chopping out the passenger side cancer, but the noise of a the cutoff wafer drew the wanna-be gearheads from all over the complex. Not a single one brought me a beer either. They just wanted to stop by and lie about some car or truck they used to have, then try to feed me BS about my truck. You guys know how it is.

My taillight lenses are busted up and replacements are just kinda pricy when universal flush mount taillights are cheap and everywhere.

I made the first patch panel and then discovered my little compressor only goes to 100psi. My big compressor is at the in-laws, and I couldn't run my flanger! I tried but it didn't have the stones to even touch the metal. So, plans changed and instead of flanging in the patch panel I had to butt it in.

Now butting in patch panels is very time consuming for two reasons. One, the fit has to be dead near perfect because filling gaps in vertical sheet metal is hard and time consuming. Two, you have to move around the panel a lot. trying to stitch any more than just a little button puts enough heat into the metal to warp the whole side or screw up the fit on the other end of the panel. After realizing how time consuming this was without a good compressor I decided to just focus on the taillights so I could drive it on Monday.

I was gonna make this pic it's own post with a funny title, but I could decide if I was being funny or not. Something like "Tail Lights are for CHUMPS", "I got rid of my tail lights to lose weight and it only took two gallons of bondo!" or "I did this so I can weld on some Caddy fins!" but ultimately I was just happy with the progress.

And one panel fit and tacked

And nice working tail lights!
Grizzly Locker Rear

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The tail lights don't look too far off the 60's OEM ones. Bit lower I think, but look nice.

Nice job on getting some of those nasty bed dents out. I am not even sure how somebody managed to get them so mangled!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Looks great. I have been thinking along the same lines, using LED lights and gaskets.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Austin4x4

Post by Austin4x4 »

that the same bed you had in ouray? man you are really doing some good work on that i thought the bed was beyond saving. :ymapplause:

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Austin4x4 wrote:that the same bed you had in ouray? man you are really doing some good work on that i thought the bed was beyond saving. :ymapplause:

Yep! The very same one! :-bd

It's still got a long way to go though. I had Army training last week and through the weekend. While putting over 1000 rounds through the M2 (latest and greatest version, for you old timers: no more timing and headspacing!) was plenty of fun I'm glad to be back home so I can get back at it!

I've slathered the first layer of filler over the taillight section and the rear most patch but I can't do any more banging or cutting until saturday. I try to keep the noise to a minimum through the work week. ;-)

Thanks for all the positive comments guys!
Grizzly Locker Rear

lindel

Post by lindel »

You sir, have made a lot of progress since you bought the old girl. It's really coming together, and great job! Wish I had that kind of skill.
Lindel

bigun

Post by bigun »

Dang I was waiting to see the caddy tailfin option :ymdaydream: :-j

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

bigun wrote: Dang I was waiting to see the caddy tailfin option :ymdaydream: :-j
Pick -n-Pull wouldn't let me take 200' of extension cord into the yard for my sawzall. [-x

I almost took pics today of what I did today, but somehow me with a long block just isn't that interesting. :-o

2nd edit>>> Now you got me thinking...just for showmanship and whatnot...
Grizzly Locker Rear

bigun

Post by bigun »

REDONE wrote:
bigun wrote: Dang I was waiting to see the caddy tailfin option :ymdaydream: :-j
Pick -n-Pull wouldn't let me take 200' of extension cord into the yard for my sawzall. [-x

I almost took pics today of what I did today, but somehow me with a long block just isn't that interesting. :-o

Battery powered circular saw with metal blade!

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Looking good! I'm digging the yellow accents up under the hood.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

bigun wrote:
REDONE wrote:

Battery powered circular saw with metal blade!
Battery powered saws-all I always try to bring one when i make my visitations. Pretty cool getting all the looks when you drop a y-pipe and drive shafts with one.

By the way Matt, its looking good. I too was thinking a flat bed was in your future.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" ... DEAD!
"Hole in my pocket"... 1974 Cherokee 360/400/QT

bigun

Post by bigun »

CO2 tank and air saw. One of the future projects in my notebook is taking one of those big garden wagons and turning it into a self propelled equipment carrier for parts hunting.

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:Looking good! I'm digging the yellow accents up under the hood.
Thank you! It's my homage to RB of days gone by. ;-) I know he popped his head in here a while back, but I still hope that he'll get back into the FSJ game someday.
Gumby wrote: Battery powered saws-all I always try to bring one when i make my visitations. Pretty cool getting all the looks when you drop a y-pipe and drive shafts with one.

By the way Matt, its looking good. I too was thinking a flat bed was in your future.
I got plenty of cordless cuttin' tools, but honestly the Pick n' Pull is getting more and more anal about stuff and last time I went in to cut sheet metal they told me "no". But that's besides the point. I'm still thinking about some big ol' caddy fins but significantly less seriously though. :?

Been sick all week, so between swiggin' Nyquil and yelling at things that aren't there I got the second patch panel in.

I got the first layer of filler mostly worked but it was too dark for pics when I called it a day. Hope to have it all smoothed out and primered (if not painted) by tomorrow night.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Matt that sucks that you been sick but swigging Nyquil is almost as good as the old days doing "Robo" :-D .
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" ... DEAD!
"Hole in my pocket"... 1974 Cherokee 360/400/QT

bigun

Post by bigun »

I think BlackBart used to have a 70 or 80s caddy out back, I don't know if he still does since he has been making a living off scrap for the last couple of years.

No FSJs were damaged in this post

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

First off, the line about "screaming like a little girl" made me laugh so hard my barrette fell out and I had to adjust my bra strap.

Second, this is a cool build. Now I really want to see it. What is a good time to offer my wrench to assist? Assuming, of course, you need any assistance. :)
1982 Jeep CJ-7, 4" lift, 35"s, Rust, AMC 401, T-18, D300 Twin-stick
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 6" Lift, 33"s, 4.0 I6, AW4, NP231
1979 Jeep Cherokee, 4-speed, 360

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Jagged wrote:First off, the line about "screaming like a little girl" made me laugh so hard my barrette fell out and I had to adjust my bra strap.

Second, this is a cool build. Now I really want to see it. What is a good time to offer my wrench to assist? Assuming, of course, you need any assistance. :)
Yeah, it happens from time to time. :D

I don't think I have anything going on Saturday except workin' on the 'Badger. You know anything about Holleys?
Grizzly Locker Rear

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

REDONE wrote:
I don't think I have anything going on Saturday except workin' on the 'Badger. You know anything about Holleys?
Sadly, I don't know much about Holleys. In fact, my carb fu is severely lacking. Are you just adjusting or are you doing a rebuild?

And Saturday works for me as long as my wife doesn't pull rank. Chances are she'll just be happy that I'm going to "talk Jeep" with someone other than her. ;)
1982 Jeep CJ-7, 4" lift, 35"s, Rust, AMC 401, T-18, D300 Twin-stick
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 6" Lift, 33"s, 4.0 I6, AW4, NP231
1979 Jeep Cherokee, 4-speed, 360

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

My Holley is working fine, but I recently (less than a month ago) decided that my edelbrockcentric carb knowledge was too, well, centric. I just got my first true Holley and was hoping to pick a brain or two with the beast sitting in front of us, but that's not a prerequisite for sharing my beers&brats!

I checked with my missus and I got a green light so long as she get's the Suburban to go to school (Paul Mitchell silky-smooth school) on Sat. I'll PM you more info when I get back from WALKING TO SEARS for stir sticks and sand paper. I moved here from Granite Falls and quickly learned to love being within walking distance of everything. Kinda expected, being an FSJer and all. ;)
Grizzly Locker Rear