Wendy, the "looks better in pictures" 90 GW

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
TUDrewser

Re: Wendy, the "looks better in pictures" 90 GW

Post by TUDrewser »

Yup, 4" lift, kept track bars with BJ's relocation brackets, and Mike brought by a drop pitman arm I put on.
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

In other news, got new toys today in the mail.

Got this from my father-in-law, a cross-country truck driver:
cb_radio.jpg
So, had to buy a few pieces to go with (my 4' FireStix is coming tonight). Going to try and build a mount that will attach inside the jamb of the rear tailgate:
cb stuff.jpg
Finally, this happened to come today a day early too. Used, but seems in good condition. Won't be putting it on for a while (unless I want to run it with a 2bar, which seems kind of pointless). But at least I have it for later. Hopefully I'll someday put together a junkyard TBI that will go on this.
intake.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Figured out my steering issue...had adjusted the steering box way too tight. Kept loosening it by a quarter turn and finally after about 3/4 turn out it feels darn right pleasant to drive! Vent ducts cleaned out, CB wired in, trailer brake controller wired in...looking pretty good.

Was looking at the original list I made back when I bought it and was angry (so I listed EVERYTHING that was wrong with it). Really, the following are all I have left:

1. A/C - have the parts, just kind of took a back burner when temps cooled down
2. Power Steering pump is still leaking, but just enough to make things messy...level doesn't really drop a whole lot
3. Tranny pan appears to be leaking...probably just need a new gasket or RTV

Those are the items I should worry about. These are the ones that are minor or I'm just not worried about right now:

1. Paint...she looks ugly
2. Interior...ugly, front seats torn
3. Door locks still aren't consistant
4. Right Rear window still doesn't work from drivers door, but works from itself (haven't even taken apart rear doors yet)

As you can see, not a whole lot left. One side note...I'm thinking of renaming her. Ever since the lift and tires the name doesn't seem to fit. Plus, my wife won't drive it, so I figure she lost her say.
Last edited by TUDrewser on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Sounds like your moving right along with 'er. You are doing good, I hope your Gobble Gobble run is all positive. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Got my spare tire mounted for this weekend. Had to let a bunch of air out and drop the bracket down a hole to get the 31" to fit underneath, but it fit. Also had to replace the bolt that tightens everything down. Ended up just welding a small rod to a bolt to keep it from turning and using that in place of the plastic thing.

What's kind of crazy is the difference in driving with the wheel back there. It swings the back end a bit going over uneven bumps, but it also seems to smooth out the suspension having the weight there. The bumps are smoother...must be loading the suspension a bit? I felt the change before I remembered the tire was back there. I like it.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

It rides nice there, but rather then fighting it, put a spare tire crane out of a newer truck up there. I have run an aired up 32 under there with no issues. ;)

Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

jaber wrote:It rides nice there, but rather then fighting it, put a spare tire crane out of a newer truck up there. I have run an aired up 32 under there with no issues. ;)

Oh yes, I've followed your solution and have EVERY intention of implementing ;-) It was a total PITA getting the tire up in there, and I thought of your thread many times last night as my buddy and I were wrestling it!

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

The saga continues with the A/C. As a reminder, I replaced the AC compressor to find a leak in the low pressure hose. Had a new low pressure hose made and the high pressure hose blew while filling. Had a high pressure hose made and the threads on the condenser disintegrated before my eyes. Found a replacement condenser but it needed new tabs welded on.

My neighbor welded on new tabs for me and I installed everything yesterday. Wouldn't hold vacuum, so pressurized it and sprayed with soapy water. All my connections were good. What gives? Tested vacuum again, nope. Pressurized system, no leaks. Finally decided to check the one thing I HADN'T replaced...the evaporator core. Opened the door and heard hissing. Sure enough, one of the copper pipes was cracked. $#@()@*%$

Talked to Jerry, he's bringing me a new one some time. Also going to order a new expansion valve, since I'm in there anyway.

Anyone know where to find that insulation they wrap around those pipes in the cab? It's black tar like stuff.

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

At least you can drive her around ;) It might be hot without a/c sometimes, but you look cooler than I do sitting in the driveway going 'vrrroooom' while my wife denies knowing me :) Keep up the good work.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

mathman

Post by mathman »

TUDrewser wrote:Anyone know where to find that insulation they wrap around those pipes in the cab? It's black tar like stuff.
That used to be a standard stock item of any remotely decent auto parts store. The roll I have buried in a box somewhere came from Auto Zone several years ago.
David
'78 J-10, J-20
'79 Cherokee
'50 Willys (not Willy's) 4WD Pickup
http://www.jeep-trucks.com

chevelleguy

Post by chevelleguy »

X2, Factory Air, #59010.
David
'83 Wag Limited, 360/727/pinned 229/D44 front/AMC20,lockrite,rear/6" BJ lift w/ 35/12.50/15 M/T Baja MTZ/ Pro-Jection EFI.

'16 Camaro SS
'98 STX1100 Jet ski
'96 ZXi 1100 Jet ski
'90 KDX 200

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Jerry dropped off the new evap core last week. Went ahead and installed a new expansion valve since I was in there...and it's the only thing I HAVEN'T replaced, and hooked everything back up. Pressurized the system and sprayed soapy water and could not get rid of the leaks from exp valve to evap. FINALLY got it tight enough to get rid of bubbles but the system still wouldn't hold vacuum. Checked every dang connection and finally decided to see if the vacuum pump held pressure if not connected to the system. Nope...IT was what was letting the vacuum out.

SO vacuumed out the system, sealed it off and let it sit overnight. Checked this morning and still had all the vacuum! WHOOPIE! Now I need to get the ductwork back attached, replace some of the compressor oil I lost, run vacuum on the system for several hours, and head over to Tom's for my R12 charge. So close...and just in time as the temps are hitting the 80's ;-)

chevelleguy

Post by chevelleguy »

With all you have done, you should just charge it with 134. Mine cools into the high 30's with nothing more than a dryer change and a recharge.....11yrs ago.
David
'83 Wag Limited, 360/727/pinned 229/D44 front/AMC20,lockrite,rear/6" BJ lift w/ 35/12.50/15 M/T Baja MTZ/ Pro-Jection EFI.

'16 Camaro SS
'98 STX1100 Jet ski
'96 ZXi 1100 Jet ski
'90 KDX 200