78 J Truck Turns Over, Won't Run

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Jklewer

78 J Truck Turns Over, Won't Run

Post by Jklewer »

My truck will intermittently run during this whole process but not when I want it to. Installed the tfi upgrade and it ran well for a couple weeks until the old gas and water got through the system and jacked it. Got a new tank, filters, all that and since then I have not been able to get it running consistently.

I measure 12V from the positive contact on the coil and 5.8 from the negative with the switch ON. After frying an ignition module, I plugged into the spare.

When I crank it over, it tries to start and just spins down. If I give it has while cranking, it revs up than spins down after I let off the starter.

Any thoughts? I've tried many things which I'm sure I haven't put in this post so feel free to ask questions. Thanks in advance, John
1978 J10: 360/TH400/QT w/low range [TFI]

Topic author
Jklewer

Re: 78 J Truck Turns Over, Won't Run

Post by Jklewer »

Also, I bought a new ignition module, plugged it in and it wouldn't even try to fire, it just cranks over. I'm assuming that ones bad?
1978 J10: 360/TH400/QT w/low range [TFI]

carnuck

Re: 78 J Truck Turns Over, Won't Run

Post by carnuck »

sounds bad. A jumper lead to the coil + and battery + should keep it running if it's a blown ignition resistor or switch.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle