Quray

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Tad
Vendor

Quray

Post by Tad »

I guess I will put this here since we don't fit with the FSJ threads.
The Q did well and did everything we asked of it despite it being underpowered as a tow rig.

Our plan was to camp at El Morrow on the way up but we were faced with a decision about 25 miles south of Gallup, NM.
We were at the turn to El Morrow and staring into a really big storm.
Faced with setting up camp in the rain or waiting out the storm we decided to push north and see what was on the other side of the storm.

Just before the NM/CO state line Em' posted on FB where we were and F&K called and said to come on in and grab some rest, we had been on the road since 5am, about 13 hours.
We got to stay dry and the needed sleep was good (thank you).

Monday we slept in a bit (for us), had some breakfast then did the remaining 4 hours into camp.
Setup took longer than normal in-between rain showers, we knew more rain would come so we tarped everything knowing we had a few bad canvas spots.
As Em' said, "always wear protection".

Tuesday we woke feeling pretty rested and enjoyed a nice breakfast of BBQuray cooked pork chops and eggs, awesome.
Knowing we were running on the 12 year old (non-servicable) factory half-shafts and u-joints I had called ahead to the Montrose O'reillys and ordered them, everything was there except for the front driveshaft u-joints which would come in later that night from SLC.
We decided to go ahead and run without the front spares.

We bagged around Sliverton Tuesday morning enjoying some ice cream and expresso while wait for another group to finish Mineral Creek and then headed out with a group of 7-8 rigs to do Corkscrew.

Here we are chasing Ronnie and the Mutt out to the trail.

Ronnie likes to do things a bit differently.
It's amazing how he can drive that thing backwards so well.

It rained on and off for most of the early part getting up to Corkscrew.

The top was beautiful and we had some downtime when a front u-joint spit out of a rig taking with it the front stub shaft. That got removed very quickly as I think all of us had pulled several over the years and made it just a simple task.

Like clockwork the NC folks developed fuel issues just after the top of Corkscrew, getting off the mountain involved lots of strapping and put us at the bottom around 8pm.

Heading back to camp on 550 we find the road closed for construction, closed all night.
Two options, drive all the way back through Silverton and around (probably 6 hours) or take on Ophir pass in the dark.
Over in the dark we went.
We are now on the trail/road for over 9 hours, didn't really pack for this amount of time.
Having been over Ophir before (it's not a bad road) hungry, tired and with my sucky night vision I'm getting pretty cranky.
My apologies to anyone I snapped at.
We make it back to camp after mid-night, total time on road/trail about 13 hours.

Wednesday is a wash, tired, beat, we decide to not run.
Had some good lunch in Montrose, picked up the front u-joints, relaxed and chatted the rest of the day enjoying the beer and the people.

Thursday brings on Imogene.
We take the shortcut by the mansion, it's quicker but has a few steps to be concerned about.
I take the hard line for the most part but try to keep the front wheels out of any holes.
I don't want to change a half-shaft on the trail if we can help it.
Temp's climb even in the Q so here we are resting just before the last obstacle to the trail and the top.

Again, like clockwork a rig needs to be strapped over the top.
We take the hard line with the Q over the last obstacle to avoid being trapped behind the rig being strapped and we simply pop up on top.

A little poser shot just to give a size comparison.

The views are great from the top of Imogene.

Friday is another wash.
Heading up to Clear Lake on the switchbacks I think I feel issues with the Q's transmission.
After a mile or two climbing in low range I notice what I think is the trans not shifting from 1-2-D.
We pop onto a flat spot and let some rigs pass, temps are normal but the hood feels hot so Bob and I (Em' stayed back at camp) let the Q cool for about 10 minutes.
Put the Q back in high and try the next section, seems to shift fine.
Try it in low range, seems fine, I call it quits based on a trans with 200K and not knowing much about this type of trans.
Back on level ground at the bottom we check fluid (good) test run at some higher speeds, everything seems fine.
Knowing we have 720 miles to drive/tow on Saturday and not wanting to break something to prove a point we head back to camp for lunch, relax and start organizing for the long haul back.

The Q ran great and for the grand total of $3,500.00 (including yet installed parts) I think it's a keeper.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Quray

Post by Stuka »

Thanks for sharing :)

I am going to try my best to go next year. But I highly doubt it would be in my J10. Not without a new engine. I think it would make it, but thats a long drive for an engine with 243k on it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

You will be surprised when rstep posts up his $$ numbers for how cheaply he was able to rent a GC, pay for the site, buy food and gas.
It's about 1/2 of what I would spend in fuel alone in my rig and leaves plenty left over for renting a Wrangler for 3 days.

I'm going to try to take the FSJ next year but when you see those numbers it's hard to justify driving a FSJ that far.

My Stuff:
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

The PIG Smith

Post by The PIG Smith »

Awesome trip!

I can relate with you about 'feeling' stuff getting soft and better judgement telling to go easy and back off.
I use my '99 WJ for my DD and I have been limping it along for quite sometime with some issues that I know one day will bite me.

Hopefully, I will get to attend an Ouray event one of these days!
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Good stuff Tad. I say get to Ouray in whatever makes you comfortable. Some day we will show up and drool on Bob's 64 because it is the only FSJ at the Invasion. :))
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

j20owner

Post by j20owner »

I keep telling the wife we need to skip DisneyWorld next year and just do Quray in the Exploder. I think she's warming to the idea.
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Thanks for the pics and high lights. One of these years... =p~
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

HeavyIron

Post by HeavyIron »

Great pics thanks for sharing

I'm gonna shoot for driving the 68 out there next year and looking forward to it!!
All though I drove it on Sunday and I could smell the tell tale sign of leaking coolant :|
68 J2000

rstep

Post by rstep »

hey Tad where did all the pics go?
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

rstep wrote:hey Tad where did all the pics go?
I see em here?
2017 JKU Rubicon

bigun

Post by bigun »

I see them too

rstep

Post by rstep »

Okay they're back just a clitch.
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.

rstep

Post by rstep »

Okay back in June had carb issues with the Cherokee so getting it ready for Ouray became a chore.A bad week of everything at the house breaking,9 tires,3 battery's and one still unknown.Ouray became a no go,but with the support of Casey and Martin feeding the fire Mari decided the 64 was going and she rented a 2012 Grand Cherokee for me to ride up with.Martin trailered the 64 up and I followed in the rental.
We stopped by Flint and Krista's on the way in to say hi and drop off a windshield and box of small parts left from P2.Then off to finish the rest of the ride got to the KOA around 7pm greeted by Tad coming from the shower.Unloaded the 64 and set up camp.
Stopped once on the way up from Tucson and put 14 gals of gas in the rental.
Got up Tuesday and road with Mike out to the Falls at clear Lake then on to meet up with a group to run Corkscrew.
After a run of hours of running dead ends to see things jumped ship from Mike and got ready to ride out with Tad and Em,well after breakage and tows as said we missed the time to get passed the road closure and back to the trail we went minus one FSJ left for morning pick-up.
Got to do a nite run over Ophir,so for me it was all a first.Just way to tired to care by now.
the rest of the week was great hanging and meeting folks.
Wedensday the J12 pulled in and was there for the Pot Luck dinner good eats.
A great shot of Martin and Colin in camp before they left friday.
friday after starting the 64 to put on the trailer found out we had lost all the fluid in the M/C for the clutch,after filling and bleeding still no clutch so we pushed it upo the trail,thanks to all that helped.
Got it home yesterday and low and behold the clutched worked just fine, gotta love it when they fix them selfs,figured a small piece of dirts may have clogged the line and came loss in travels.

So to end the week;
Rental $224.00/with last tank of gas added to the rental total for a week unlimited miles
Camp site monday to saturday $139.00
Gas for trip 32 gals average cost $3.50 a gal. $112.00
Food which I could have fed 6 more people with $90.00
Total for the week $565.00,3 states,1360 some miles and life time of fun
The total for the week if I took the Cherokee would have cost that in just gas.
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Its amazing how good of fuel economy the new GC's get. Bigger than an FSJ, twice the power, and 2.5x the fuel economy.

Unless something amazing happens this year, or I come across a tow rig and trailer, I will be going in either my JK, or the Wifes Liberty. Would be awesome to bring the J10, but no way its being driven that far at 55mph, in the middle of summer, through Nevada, with no AC :)

Good to see you had fun, and that the '64 was such a hit :)
2017 JKU Rubicon

rstep

Post by rstep »

A good guess is 27-29 to the gallon
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Ok, now it Martin time to tell us his fuel milage draging that big beautiful boat up there :D .
It look like I need to be planning on next year trip. Trying to get the 5th wheel set up
with the toll dollie to toll the Cherokee.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

rstep wrote:Got up Tuesday and road with Mike out to the Falls at clear Lake then on to meet up with a group to run Corkscrew.
We have camped near the falls a couple times. Once with Don and Doris S and another with Tad and Em. It was great laying down at night and letting the sound of the falls caress us to sleep. Must go back...
Flint Boardman

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

good times & great pictures :-bd
Flint Boardman

Topic author
Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

fulsizjeep wrote:...We have camped near the falls a couple times. Once with Don and Doris S and another with Tad and Em. It was great laying down at night and letting the sound of the falls caress us to sleep. Must go back...
Remember that very well, one of the best trips up.
Long haul, short nap, up and over Ophir, just enough time to eat and setup camp before dark.
Very good times indeed.

My Stuff:
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project