Pic request - Rear body mounts

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
moparjake

Pic request - Rear body mounts

Post by moparjake »

Hi all,

First post, but ive been reading through here a ton and there seems to be a bunch of knowledge here.

Anyways I just picked up a 83 Wagoneer and am beginning to go through it. last night while under the rear of the truck I noticed that the rear dirvers side body bushing mount was completely gone. Other than the remenants of the old rusted bolt sticking through there is nothing. I am wondering if anyone has a picture of what this area looks sans the bushing. The reason i ask is i am unsure of what may have rusted away from both the frame and body. The PO has done a few things to this Jeep that are less than stellar. Before i go through the time of ordering the parts i wan to make sure what i am looking at is complete and not some halfassed hack. If i have to fabricate new metal in the mount area i want to see what it should look like. Any help would be awesome!

-Jake

fulsizjeep

Re: Pic request - Rear body mounts

Post by fulsizjeep »

Welcome to the forum Jake. :-bd

You are talking about the body mounts on the rear cross member?

image borrowed from ghinmi
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
moparjake

Post by moparjake »

Yes the ones on the outside corners in that picture. Tonight ill get a picture of what my current missing area looks like. I am mostly worried about metal that may have been cut of rusted away.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

It is fairly easy to replace that whole cross member if it is a buggared up. They tend to rust out because they catch all the rear tire grunge. Grind off the rivets and bolt a donor replacement on.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
moparjake

Post by moparjake »

I hadnt thought about that! Ill also have to weld a new nut into the body from the looks of whats left. Is there anywhere to buy a new crossmember of is this a junkyard part?

whsii

Post by whsii »

If you have not checked the rest of the body mounts, they usually rust under the rubber bushings. I believe they had a 1 1/8" hole to mate with the rubber or polly mounts, but most have rusted to two inches or more.

On my 80 J10, I had to put an 1/8" plate on each of the cab mount pylons.

Topic author
moparjake

Post by moparjake »

The rest of the mounts are on my short list. They are all dry rotted and cracked. It looks like im in need of rear floor pans as well as the section of frame that the gas tank cover used to be mounted :P The rust aside, this thing is clean on the inside and the motor seems to be running great.

I am running an issue with the 4 wheel drive as well, as in it wont go into 4 wheel drive unless i unhook and re attach the 2 wheel drive vacuum hose that runs from the switch to the differential vac motor. Its as if the 2 wheel drive hose is holding vac even when i move the switch over to 4...if i pop the hose of the 2 wheel side i can hear the diff lock and it'll send vac back to the transfer case putting it in four, i then reattach the hose and all is well. Its odd, almost as if its missing a check valve or something.

whsii

Post by whsii »

moparjake wrote:The rest of the mounts are on my short list. They are all dry rotted and cracked. It looks like im in need of rear floor pans as well as the section of frame that the gas tank cover used to be mounted :P The rust aside, this thing is clean on the inside and the motor seems to be running great.

I am running an issue with the 4 wheel drive as well, as in it wont go into 4 wheel drive unless i unhook and re attach the 2 wheel drive vacuum hose that runs from the switch to the differential vac motor. Its as if the 2 wheel drive hose is holding vac even when i move the switch over to 4...if i pop the hose of the 2 wheel side i can hear the diff lock and it'll send vac back to the transfer case putting it in four, i then reattach the hose and all is well. Its odd, almost as if its missing a check valve or something.

What year and set up FSJ are you dealing with?

I have fooled with these things since before AMC and they all work the same but different.

I had a problem getting my 87 to engage properly. After reading the manual and understanding what it needed, it works like a charm.

Just a thought...

Topic author
moparjake

Post by moparjake »

Its an 83, one of the years with the vacuum actuated front differential. Good news on that however. I decided to finish chasing the lines last night and found that both of the check valves were installed backwards. I flipped them both around and now my 4 Wheel drives works. I figured it would be something stupid.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Welcome... Image

On the rear body channel, I just got a 5' piece of square tubing, about .120 wall, cut it into a "U", welded new nuts to the inside of it, and pushed it over the original channel on the body. I dont remember the size, but seems like it was 2.5" box.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/