Fuel leak

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
TUDrewser

Fuel leak

Post by TUDrewser »

Have a fuel leak in the engine compartment. It's right where the metal line comes out if the fuel pump. Tried tightening, boron nut did not move, top turned a tad, but did not stop the leak. May have made it a tad worse, if anything. It's really slow, but stays wet around the fitting. Thoughts on how to fix?

1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

Green&Loud

Re: Fuel leak

Post by Green&Loud »

Do you have teflon tape on the threads? That should help some if its coming out around the threads
'76 j10- currently in project mode
"Hey y'all, watch this!" means get out the camera
FSJ related donations now being accepted

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Do not use Teflon tape on that fitting it will not work. That tubing has a flare on the end. You either have a crack in the tubing or blemish in the flare or the top of the pump is leaking. Take some carb cleaner and wash in down good
and watch to see where the gas seep out. Between tubing and nut or between top of pump.

Green&Loud

Post by Green&Loud »

I use teflon tape on the fitting coming out of my fuel pump and it seems to work just fine. But I have a 258 which might be different, and I'm only 16, so take jsinajeep's advice over mine. Sorry to mislead you! :roll:
'76 j10- currently in project mode
"Hey y'all, watch this!" means get out the camera
FSJ related donations now being accepted

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

jsinajeep wrote:Do not use Teflon tape on that fitting it will not work. That tubing has a flare on the end. You either have a crack in the tubing or blemish in the flare or the top of the pump is leaking. Take some carb cleaner and wash in down good
and watch to see where the gas seep out. Between tubing and nut or between top of pump.
It appears to be seeping out of the top nut. Guess I need to undo it all and have a look.
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

TUDrewser wrote:
jsinajeep wrote:Do not use Teflon tape on that fitting it will not work. That tubing has a flare on the end. You either have a crack in the tubing or blemish in the flare or the top of the pump is leaking. Take some carb cleaner and wash in down good
It appears to be seeping out of the top nut. Guess I need to undo it all and have a look.

This connection should be a flare nut. Under the nut, the tubing is flared to a double 45 degree flare. It's the flare that seals the joint, not the threads. So sealing the threads with teflon tape should not have any effect.

Take it apart and inspect it. Flare nuts are supposed to be tightened with a flare nut wrench, that wraps around the nut and applies force to all faces. If you tighten them with an open end wrench, they can bend to an oval and then they will never seal.

Look for a crack in the flare, or an out-of-round nut. If so, you will need to replace the tubing. I suggest you get a piece of Nicopp or Cunifer line that is already flared, and replace the line with that. You can bend the Nicopp line pretty easily if you bend it around a round object and keep tension on the tube (pull on both ends as you pull around the form).
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.