Vacuum lines

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Vacuum lines

Post by wewillsurvive »

Are all the vacuum lines the same size (86 GW)? Transfer case and other stuff is getting new lines just don't want to have to go to town 100 times.

Does anyone know the size(s)?
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

TUDrewser

Re: Vacuum lines

Post by TUDrewser »

I'm interested in this too just for future reference...have been wondering the same thing. Sorry I'm of no help though...
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

cma

Post by cma »

depends which lines you mean...the lines around the the motor are all different. but can`t tell you exactly the dimensions.
Markus!

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Jeep Cherokee Chief Laredo, 12/1982, AMC 360, black/black

Picture Story: https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823415 ... directlink
Part II:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823415 ... directlink

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Sizes do vary and length will depend on how much emissions equipment you still have hooked up. The vacuum lines for the tcase are hard plastic and usually very brittle if still in use. When I still had a 229, I replaced all those with rubber lines.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I recall that most of the emissions vacuum lines are 5/32" vacuum line. There is also some 7/32" (power valve?), 1/4" and 3/8" in the vapor/PCV system. You can use fuel line for 3/8". There is also some 1/4" vacuum line in the first part of the windshield squirter, and maybe the vapor recovery. The final lines to the windshield squirter and the heater under the dash are 1/8", again IIRC. The line from the air cleaner to the breather is 1/2" fuel hose. So there are a lot of different sizes.

If you have the hard plastic lines to the transfer case, I expect they will be joined with short sections of rubber hose. For this and any other place, I suggest that you snip off a tiny sample from the end of each hose you want to replace, and take that with you to the parts store. You are much more likely to get the right size that way.

hth!

<updated 9/4/13>
Last edited by tgreese on Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

Thanks guys. I am decommissioning the emissions stuff and likely the cruise control. So engine and TC stuff is all I really care about. The engine isn't stock carb'ed so most of those are gone too and I put an open element breather on my oil fill so there isn't one there now either.

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

wewillsurvive wrote:Thanks guys. I am decommissioning the emissions stuff and likely the cruise control. So engine and TC stuff is all I really care about. The engine isn't stock carb'ed so most of those are gone too and I put an open element breather on my oil fill so there isn't one there now either.
Don't be hasty. There are some emissions systems, like vapor recovery and PCV, that you definitely want to keep. Lots of discussion of this in older posts.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

tgreese wrote:
wewillsurvive wrote:Thanks guys. I am decommissioning the emissions stuff and likely the cruise control. So engine and TC stuff is all I really care about. The engine isn't stock carb'ed so most of those are gone too and I put an open element breather on my oil fill so there isn't one there now either.
Don't be hasty. There are some emissions systems, like vapor recovery and PCV, that you definitely want to keep. Lots of discussion of this in older posts.
Why would I keep the vapor recovery system? I'm in a non emissions state and I do not park indoors.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

wewillsurvive wrote:
tgreese wrote:
Why would I keep the vapor recovery system? I'm in a non emissions state and I do not park indoors.
Well, why would you get rid of it? Some aesthetic or anti-eco-philosophical reason? It costs nothing in terms of performance. It has almost zero maintenance. It vents your gas tank and carburetor properly, and keeps your truck from stinking of gasoline. It saves a small amount of fuel that would otherwise go off into the atmosphere. You have to do work and spend money to remove it. Seems obvious to me.

<sorry if that sounds rude - not meant to>
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Vacuum lines

Post by wewillsurvive »

I would remove it because it is in the way and I like thinks simple, fewer things in the way makes it easier to work on, also I don't have a stock carb or any of the emissions stuff in the exhaust already so it makes it an easier decision for me. I presume it only recovers vapor from a stock system correct? If it was all there and working I might keep it but even then it wouldn't be likely.

And as much as I loathe the EPA and tree hugging hippies it has nothing to do with them or Al Gore, they change their agenda to a new flavor whenever it fits their need.... Most of the time it's while hopping on some big ass jet to fly to god knows where to hug who knows what. Since you brought politics into it I'll share but just remember you asked.

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

I do think you need to pick a side and stay there though

Re: NO VACUUM LINES...help
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 111#p34275

Why is it ok for that guy to remove his smog stuff but not me?

And I quote "Do you need to keep the car smog legal?"

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I don't have a tree-hugging or whatever agenda in any way... however...

Being a native Los Angeleno, I grew up in the 60s when the afternoon summer air was brown with photochemical smog. Breathe deeply and it hurt your throat and lungs. Pain is bad - pain means your body is being damaged. Today, the air in SoCal is so remarkably different it's hard to believe. And it's almost entirely because of the emissions devices since fitted to all automobiles as part of the Clean Air Act.

The Clean Air Act (which the EPA administers) was a huge and unqualified success. It improved air quality everywhere, and gave the states the authority to enforce emissions laws. So I sorta think that removing these devices because they are unsightly or inconvenient is a very weak reason, considering the benefits that have derived from them.

I am open to reason though. I think that you ought to be able to strip off all of the outdated devices if you can still pass a tailpipe test - but California does not allow that (a mean-spirited law IMO). I would understand removing failed devices on older cars where there is no economical alternative. I would be open to exemptions for low-mileage hobby vehicles.

But the smog stuff really makes a difference, and it should be kept if possible. My opinion.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

wewillsurvive wrote:I do think you need to pick a side and stay there though

Not sure that is an apples to apples comparison...I think tgreese makes some good points and I fail to see the contradiction. If you have working smog stuff that doesn't hurt economy/performance and doesn't cost anything to keep working, seems to make sense to error on cleaning things up a bit. I also understand wanting to clean stuff up under the hood...been debating removing some stuff myself. But I've also seen the dark cloud over Phoenix in the afternoon...it's a little disturbing.
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

wewillsurvive wrote:I do think you need to pick a side and stay there though

I think I have been quite consistent in my position. There are practical issues involved. The Carter BBD in the post you refer to is very troublesome, and the poster should only consider modifications that will be legal in his state. To replace a BBD, one could go with a Motorcraft or Weber carburetor, which would be quite capable of passing a tailpipe test. However, it would not be legal in many states.

Example - my J10 had a BBD, and it now has a Motorcraft. It runs like a top, and I'm sure it would pass a tailpipe test. However, it would not be legal in California. This is of concern to me, because I may move back there after I retire someday.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

We can agree to just disagree on this.