Squatchy-1981 Waggy Build 5.3 Swap

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Jerry Blair

Re: Squatchy-1981 Waggy Build 5.3 Swap

Post by Jerry Blair »

I worked on the passenger inner fender and airbox modification. As stated earlier my goal is to use as many stock GM pieces as possible. Tonight was spent fitting and cutting. I'm overall very happy with the mockup. I do need to set the hood back on to doublecheck my clearance. As of now I believe I have enough.

Here you can see that it didn't require a ton of trimming of the inner fender. I just opened the hole level with the existing flat spot for the battery. The batteries will go on the driver side.

Looking at the airbox directly from the side you can see that there are two air intake holes. One opens under the hood in the engine compartment and the other will draw air from the fenderwell. Before the Jeep gets paint I plan to plumb the fenderwell intake into the cowl for fresh air/snorkle. The upper/engine compartment intake hole will be modified so that I can seal it closed if I need to ford deep water. For most driving, both holes will be open.

These two pics give you a little better idea of how the cuts were made. I'll weld in new sheetmetal to make sure the fenderwell stays rigid and does its job of keeping dirt out of the engine compartment. Something you can't see in these pics is the cut where the inner fender attaches to the front radiator support. I left the existing mounting bolts in place as well as leaving about an inch and a quarter of the inner fender to weld the new metal to.

This gives you a little idea how far it sticks up above the core support.

Topic author
Jerry Blair

Post by Jerry Blair »

In keeping with the theme of using as many stock parts as possible I picked up my exhaust this week. It is from a 2013 Silverado. It includes everything from the flex pipe to the muffler and tailpipe. This is a BIG muffler. I haven't fitted it up yet but I expect it will fit pretty well. I want to keep this ride as quiet as possible and I wanted an OEM quality exhaust.

Best part is I bought all this for only $80. It had been removed from a brand new truck after only one month after the owner upgraded to an aftermarket exhaust.

CAPTSmith

Post by CAPTSmith »

Nice pipes to get rid of the exhaust and nice air filter, same place as mine, to bring in some good cold air! this thing is looking really good and just wait to you turn the key and she fires right up!
Captain Dennis Smith, U.S. Navy
*'88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer w/GM LS 6.0 Vortec/4L80e/NP241c
*'89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer stock trail rig
*74 AMC Javelin AMX w/360, 4-speed Hurst, over 450 hp monster!
*83 Jeep CJ7 engine swap (305/TH400,Dana300/Dana44s)

Engine swap build thread: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1011