Gas tank is out...what else to replace?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
pyro

Gas tank is out...what else to replace?

Post by pyro »

Got the oil pan done yesterday, now working on my fuel sending unit/cleaning tank project. going to replace the soft lines, however the local advance doesn't carry the filler and vent tubes. they don't appear to be dry rotted however i'm sure they are aged. is it worth it to wait for BJ's to ship some to me, or just reuse what i've got? anything else i should replace while i have the tank out? the vent, etc?
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Gas tank is out...what else to replace?

Post by Stuka »

You can replace the filler and vent lines with the tank installed. I have. So you can install it, and then when you get them, replace them. If they need it. But if they are not dry rotted or cracked, chances are they are fine.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

sgtpoliteness

Post by sgtpoliteness »

How bad was the inside of your tank?
1977 Cherokee Chief WT w/ 2" lift
360 (originally a 401)/TH400/QT w/ MM part-time
16197427 $OD junkyard TBI set-up

Topic author
pyro

Post by pyro »

Amazingly not bad at all
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Advantage of a polly tank. No rust to worry about. Typically just a bit of a sand like substance from gasoline impurities.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
pyro

Post by pyro »

since i no longer have a charcoal canister, should i plug the vent on top of the tank? when the tank is full it leaks, and i am not sure if it was coming out of the top vent or from somewhere else. not to be confused with the vent tube, which is still intact.
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

If you do not have a vapor control canister, it can be plugged.

But out of curiousity, why do you no longer have the charcoal canister? Its a good thing to have, and does not hurt performance one bit.
2017 JKU Rubicon

whsii

Post by whsii »

The fitting in the top of the tank, in the grommet, it the main tank vent. The fuel cap should shut off any air coming into the tank. The upper line equalizes pressure, and the unit that fits into the grommet is a one way valve, that will keep fuel from running out the vent in case of a roll over. It normally goes to the charcoal canister. I would run a charcoal canister, and the only line I would consider not using is the carb bowl vent, which is standard, and only if I used an aftermarket carb such as the Weber, which has no bowl vent.

This system as I understand it, is to trap the gasoline vapors and keep them from causing an explosive situation. Or in least case, having your truck smell like it is leaking gas.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

whsii wrote:The fitting in the top of the tank, in the grommet, it the main tank vent. The fuel cap should shut off any air coming into the tank. The upper line equalizes pressure, and the unit that fits into the grommet is a one way valve, that will keep fuel from running out the vent in case of a roll over. It normally goes to the charcoal canister. I would run a charcoal canister, and the only line I would consider not using is the carb bowl vent, which is standard, and only if I used an aftermarket carb such as the Weber, which has no bowl vent.

This system as I understand it, is to trap the gasoline vapors and keep them from causing an explosive situation. Or in least case, having your truck smell like it is leaking gas.
My Weber (32/36 DGEV) does have a float bowl vent, and I have it connected to the charcoal canister.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
pyro

Post by pyro »

replaced all the lines and the sending unit...i just put the vent back in, however i noticed that there is some play in it. is there anything i should use to try and seal it up? there isnt much play, but i dont want to get it all back together and find that it leaks when the tank is full. thanks
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Ron Burgundy

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Don't know from personal experience, but my next step in the mechanical part of my restore is front and rear leaf springs and I read that having the tank out makes for an easier job on the rear springs.
I'm sure someone on the board can verify if that's the case.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Good point Ron, if nothing else, you might weld the nut in place while its exposed.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

will e

Post by will e »

I don't know if it is true with a '81 J10 Laredo but in the 81 wagoneer and 82 cherokee I have done lifts on there is a captured nut for the front of the rear driver leave spring. If you ever plan on swapping springs, now would be a good time to both break the bolt/nut free, put some penetrating oil on it, tighten it again and then put a couple of welds on the nut to hold it in place.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
pyro

Post by pyro »

Got it all back together and found that my sending unit is no bueno...also my check valve is leaking when full. Of course now I see that BJ's has them available. Ugh. Now to motivate myself to drain and drop it AGAIN...
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Or take the box off to access them and do any work the box needs while it's off.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
pyro

Post by pyro »

carnuck wrote:Or take the box off to access them and do any work the box needs while it's off.
I do need new body mounts...good idea! Were supposed to have a garage day in two weeks anyway, so the extra hands will help out too.
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

whsii

Post by whsii »

Stuka wrote:
whsii wrote:The fitting in the top of the tank, in the grommet, it the main tank vent. The fuel cap should shut off any air coming into the tank. The upper line equalizes pressure, and the unit that fits into the grommet is a one way valve, that will keep fuel from running out the vent in case of a roll over. It normally goes to the charcoal canister. I would run a charcoal canister, and the only line I would consider not using is the carb bowl vent, which is standard, and only if I used an aftermarket carb such as the Weber, which has no bowl vent.

My Weber (32/36 DGEV) does have a float bowl vent, and I have it connected to the charcoal canister.

I saw a plug where I thought a vent at the top of the fuel bowl is located.

Could you get me a picture of where it connects to the Weber?

Thanks!