Will not stay Running

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
BarryJ

Will not stay Running

Post by BarryJ »

Well I have cranked the motor I swapped from another running J truck into the sport side and did the Ammeter bypass ,82 360,727,Eldebrock carb. Now the truck cranks and runs for about a minute fine then dies and wont crank, I installed a new Holley red fuel pump close to the tank plus a clear fuel filter and still no difference in the running. The resistance wire from the coil was burnt so I cut out the bad part and replaced it with new nonresistance wire which I found was a bad idea it keep getting hot and smoking what was left of the resistance wire so I replaced it with the other resistance wire from the donor truck and still it cranks when cool and runs a short while and dies. The Ammeter bypass consisted of taking the big red from the alt and attaching it to the Battery side of the Solenoid ,taking the yellow off of the Battery side of the Solenoid but the small red wire from the Plastic plug going into the Alt has to be hooked back up to the resistance wire that is tied in on the yellow for it to even crank. I installed a new wire from the bolt on the ALT to the Battery side of the Solenoid. I know someone on here has a solution please help.
Thanks ,
Barry

letank

Re: Will not stay Running

Post by letank »

So it runs for a minute, but then does not crank like the battery is dead or the solenoid is fried? Did you try to bypass the solenoid? by connecting the battery plus directly to the other side of the solenoid?

Need to thing about your alt and ammeter bypass wiring now... sounds good... need to think more... may be the coil is cooking... and shorting... have a fresh coil installed and swap the wires when the first engine stalls and see if that fixes it... otherwise measuring the coil resistance upon engine stall is the cheaper option.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

jaber
Vendor

Re: Will not stay Running

Post by jaber »

If you have the ignition box from the donor rig, you might swap them and see if thats whats doing it.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/