Axle Swap - spring spacing matches?

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
dueselfabrication

Axle Swap - spring spacing matches?

Post by dueselfabrication »

I've slowly begun getting serious about putting new axles on my '73 Wagoneer. (This battles new suspension for the LJ in my dream book) I think the best plan is to get some truck-axles to replace my D30/D44.

Dodge, GM, and Jeeps all had different generations with passenger drop front axles. Will any be an easier swap under the front of my rig than another?

Also, I know some GM trucks had 3.08 gears in them, is that considered close enough to my 3.09 ratio if I wanted to just grab a front 10 bolt? Would that be terribly unmatched with the width of my rear?

Some things I've got to consider:
-The truck is for fun, and will be a lot of work before I take it far from home or wheeling.
-Newer axles will get me disc breaks in the front, and open knuckles with better turn radius too.
-No need to regear my new-front or current-rear (budget + new baby last Thursday).
-Not that I want to, but what if I decide to sell it? With the rust and generally batterd condition of the body, I think it would be easier to claim as an off-roader than a restored vehicle. (and I plan to wheel it too!)
-I can just be patient and wait for a 74-78 front end to come available, yes.

Now you know my thinking, and my general question of what will fit easiest, any suggestions?
-Jeff
2006 LJ - spacers, 33's, pocket flairs, dents, and too much courage
1973 Wagoneer - still not sure why, but since it's here it's going to be cool.

Tad
Vendor

Re: Axle Swap - spring spacing matches?

Post by Tad »

Do you want the added lift of a spring over axle setup?
All your GM and Dodge axles will be spring over in the front and wider.
Not a bad thing to do but it brings additional costs in dealing with steering mod's, drive shaft lengths, shocks, brake lines, etc.

Jeep truck axles (74-79 to match your pass drop tcase) will be spring under but full width putting the tires directly under the fenders, it will work but you need lift and sheet metal cutting, a good deal of cutting.

NT wag/chero axles (74-79 again) work but it's not as simple as bolting them under there.
Take a read through doc's stuff to see some of the stuff that needs to get done.

http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2271
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2392

There's a couple other scattered around about his conversion.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
dueselfabrication

Post by dueselfabrication »

Thanks for the insight and links.

The Wagoneer is already axle-under, so I am anticipating making some spring mounts and doing some modifications. The rear body is already hacked up too, so I was thinking if I can find some wider 8 lugs I could tuck some in with some old Hummer Wheels (best case scenario, I know)

I hadn't been able to find other swap stories before, I'll read them tonight.

As soon as I posted, I did a search on carparts.com and found a scrap-yard with a Wagoneer in it. Not sure if it is the price I want, but the proximity and right fit is a good thing. Hmm...
-Jeff
2006 LJ - spacers, 33's, pocket flairs, dents, and too much courage
1973 Wagoneer - still not sure why, but since it's here it's going to be cool.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

The Chev and Ford axles bolt right in to '74 and newer J rigs. 5" wider than WT/Jtruck IIRC
Check my parts for sale near Seattle