wewillsurvive

FSJ cage pics

Post by wewillsurvive »

Anyone caged (internal) their GW?
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

[ O o \\|// o O ]

Re: FSJ cage pics

Post by [ O o \\|// o O ] »

I put this in my 72 Wagoneer. Not a GW but the same dimensions, I think.

68glad

Post by 68glad »

68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

68glad how much leg room is in between the cage and the back seat? It looks really tight, are the front seats all the way back?

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

[ O o \|// o O ] wrote:I put this in my 72 Wagoneer. Not a GW but the same dimensions, I think.

Did you build it or buy it from somewhere?

[ O o \\|// o O ]

Post by [ O o \\|// o O ] »

wewillsurvive wrote:
[ O o \|// o O ] wrote:I put this in my 72 Wagoneer. Not a GW but the same dimensions, I think.

Did you build it or buy it from somewhere?
Built not bought. Followed SCORE roll cage rules.

Here're the pictures I have of it before and after installation...
http://s189.photobucket.com/user/amberi ... t=3&page=1

Here's a little more info from back in the IFSJA days...
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthre ... ost1344182
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=102728

There are a couple of good ideas in this thread about getting head clearance the cross bars.
Novacayne75 has a nice modified triangulation and the battery powered LED dome light is Genius if you ask me.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=101882

68glad

Post by 68glad »

For a 6'1" guy like myself climbing in the back seat can be a sight to see. :shock: Back door is way too small to start with & having the bar to grab on to is a huge help. Once in the seat there is plenty of room for legs/knees. The back seat is pretty deep & leans back too far for my liking. For those reasons I'm always the driver. :) Only had adults in the rear a few times & nobody complained. Seems like there was a body mount or something in the way so there wasn't much choice as far as back seat clearance goes. Tying into frame was mandatory. Yes the front seats are all the way back. This is the only pic I got of that.
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

68glad wrote:For a 6'1" guy like myself climbing in the back seat can be a sight to see. :shock: Back door is way too small to start with & having the bar to grab on to is a huge help. Once in the seat there is plenty of room for legs/knees. The back seat is pretty deep & leans back too far for my liking. For those reasons I'm always the driver. :) Only had adults in the rear a few times & nobody complained. Seems like there was a body mount or something in the way so there wasn't much choice as far as back seat clearance goes. Tying into frame was mandatory. Yes the front seats are all the way back. This is the only pic I got of that.
Thanks, being 6'2" I won't be riding in the back but as my kids grow I want to ensure they have room. My guess is the stock seatbelt mounts would be an issue for it to move too much further forward, however if I cage it the GW will not retain stock seatbelts. Why was tying into the frame mandatory? I have only ever put a cage in my Dodge Demon and it being "unibody" we just put plates on the floor of the car and welded to them.

68glad

Post by 68glad »

It was just personal preference. I'm by no means an engineer & my design prob. isn't even correct but it seemed like it would be a lot stronger tied in. I don't trust the body.....it's rusty. :lol:
68 Gladiator- RIP

Topic author
wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

Thanks for the info. I think your cage looks just fine although I'm no engineer I have been around caged vehicles of a lot of different types.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dmntxn77

Post by Dmntxn77 »

I designed it, someone else built it for me, I never wheeled the Jeep, someone else is now giving it the attention it deserves...