AW4 question

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Okiefromwatonga

AW4 question

Post by Okiefromwatonga »

So I was given a AW-4 (still in the 1996 Cherokee) what I am wondering is will it and my NP208 in my 84 J10 mate up properly. I have been scouring the inter net and every other web site I find contradicts the next. Is there anyone out there that can tell me yes or no? :banghead:

Addicted

Re: AW4 question

Post by Addicted »

You will need a 1" spacer to fill the gap. The input housing on the 208 is long and bottoms out in the trans. Otherwise it is a bolt in deal with a reworking or the trans crossmember and drive shafts.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Make sure the spline isn't swirled! They were by '97 in many rigs.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Addicted

Post by Addicted »

carnuck wrote:Make sure the spline isn't swirled! They were by '97 in many rigs.
Huh?

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

They were still 23 spline, but they swirled the splines to cut down on drivetrain noise. I have one of those AW4s that came from what was supposed to be a '97 Cherokee

Addicted

Post by Addicted »

It's the input gear for the 231J t-case that is different, with a bunch of variations, not the output shaft splines for the trans. They all come from the factory with straight splines with either 21 or 23 of them.

Topic author
Okiefromwatonga

Addicted wrote:You will need a 1" spacer to fill the gap. The input housing on the 208 is long and bottoms out in the trans. Otherwise it is a bolt in deal with a reworking or the trans crossmember and drive shafts.
where would I get the above mentioned spacer? I have looked at Novak's web site and all they sell are adapters.

Addicted

Post by Addicted »

Millerluck over on IFSJA made mine for me when I put an NP208 on the back of an AW4 a few years ago. I have seen clocking rings on ebay for AW4-Dana 300 conversions that would work too.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Make sure they are a minimum 15/16" thick! I had one from a local shop that was only 7/8" and it toasted the tcase and messed up the trans too from too much back pressure when the shaft bottomed out.

Addicted

Post by Addicted »

carnuck wrote:Make sure they are a minimum 15/16" thick! I had one from a local shop that was only 7/8" and it toasted the tcase and messed up the trans too from too much back pressure when the shaft bottomed out.
:roll:

I'd better tell itselliott that '89 I built that he's been DD'ing for last year after I put several thousand on it myself, is a ticking time bomb.

Topic author
Okiefromwatonga

Addicted wrote:Millerluck over on IFSJA made mine for me when I put an NP208 on the back of an AW4 a few years ago. I have seen clocking rings on ebay for AW4-Dana 300 conversions that would work too.

Ok, so something like this is what im looking for? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dana-300-Clocki ... bb&vxp=mtr

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Thats only 3/8" thick...
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Addicted

Post by Addicted »

Addicted

Post by Addicted »

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthre ... ight=NP208

That is the thread where I worked out the details with Millerluck on the aluminum spacer he made for me. It is just a spacer and doesn't change the clocking any. The one I linked above is a clocking/flip ring for a CJ Dana 300. They have the same bolt pattern measurements so you could probably just use longer studs in place of the studs currently on the 208 and it should bolt right up. I purchased one of those from that company when I had planned to swap in an AW4/D300 into my '71 and it looked like a good quality product.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Addicted wrote:
carnuck wrote:Make sure they are a minimum 15/16" thick! I had one from a local shop that was only 7/8" and it toasted the tcase and messed up the trans too from too much back pressure when the shaft bottomed out.
:roll:

I'd better tell itselliott that '89 I built that he's been DD'ing for last year after I put several thousand on it myself, is a ticking time bomb.
I put it in without the gaskets (they were wrecked in shipping) and the AX15 trans lost it's Input Shaft Roller Bearing #83506078 and the tcase cracked around where the studs bolt in. Full of oil and not off roaded.