Rear Leaf mounting post placement, owner pics/info request.

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
74Wagonero

FSJ Rear suspension mounting post position help

Post by 74Wagonero »

Hello everyone, I have a '74 wagoneer. I was able to source a pair of new rear springs for my wagoneer. Unfortunately, I believe they're later model as they're longer. I have the post mount front and back and I need to relocate my rear post farther back.

Because the springs are specific to the later model I want to avoid welding in the mount point into the wrong position and have a squat or worse a dive.

Can anyone with a later model wagoneer provide me with some dimensions of where their rear mounting posts are?

Post to post length?
up/down position on the frame?

Much appreciated!

Mario

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: FSJ Rear suspension mounting post position help

Post by Stuka »

You can buy new springs for a 74-75 Wagoneer/Cherokee. They are 52" long, and have special bushings, of which there are two different sizes of posts used on those years. If buying springs from say Hell Creek, they will ask you what size post you have so they can put the proper bushings in.

76+ have 57" springs, and do not have posts at all. They have a box mount, and the bushings are entirely different. The 76+ bushings are more similar to other leaf sprung vehicles where they just have a bolt that goes through the bushing.

It will be WAY WAY more work to make those springs work, than it would be to just buy the correct springs. Though I suppose its worth noting the longer springs do ride a little better due to their length.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Re: Rear Leaf mounting post placement, owner pics/info request.

Post by tgreese »

As mentioned by Stuka in your previous post, later Wagoneers do not have posts. I don't think pics of the later wagons will help you. They use a box mount like this:

J20SpringBoxMount.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

74Wagonero wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:25 pm Hello everyone, I have a '74 wagoneer. I was able to source a pair of new rear springs for my wagoneer. Unfortunately, I believe they're later model as they're longer. I have the post mount front and back and I need to relocate my rear post farther back.

Because the springs are specific to the later model I want to avoid welding in the mount point into the wrong position and have a squat or worse a dive.

Can anyone with a later model wagoneer provide me with some dimensions of where their rear mounting posts are?

Post to post length?
up/down position on the frame?

Much appreciated!

Mario
I have had to delete 13 threads over the last 2 days on this same topic from you. Can we please just use this one? I merged the two threads that had posts on them into this single thread.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
74Wagonero

Post by 74Wagonero »

wow! EVERYONE, so sorry. I kept getting error messages when I tried to post. I guess they were going through. Sorry. Yes I'll stick to this.

I have had to delete 13 threads over the last 2 days on this same topic from you. Can we please just use this one? I merged the two threads that had posts on them into this single thread.

Topic author
74Wagonero

Post by 74Wagonero »

Stuka wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:32 pm You can buy new springs for a 74-75 Wagoneer/Cherokee. They are 52" long, and have special bushings, of which there are two different sizes of posts used on those years. If buying springs from say Hell Creek, they will ask you what size post you have so they can put the proper bushings in.

76+ have 57" springs, and do not have posts at all. They have a box mount, and the bushings are entirely different. The 76+ bushings are more similar to other leaf sprung vehicles where they just have a bolt that goes through the bushing.

It will be WAY WAY more work to make those springs work, than it would be to just buy the correct springs. Though I suppose its worth noting the longer springs do ride a little better due to their length.
Unfortunately I do not even have the original springs the PO had purchased Rustys https://www.rustysoffroad.com/products/ ... k-lift-kit and I have those springs listed so I'd like to go ahead and use them. They're 54" eye to eye. So I simply need to relocate the rear post or weld in a box. Either way I need to get that point right on so I'm not left with a squat or worse a dive. Sure, I can play with shackle length but as you can see I also have the shackles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The springs will get longer once they have weight on them. The 54" isn't a valid length.

Also, those posts are really pretty tough to get off. They are welded through the frame. The front mount can stay from what I recall, as both old and new springs have a 26" front eye to axle pin measurement, and assuming you can find a bushing that will fit the new springs and the post. The rear measurement on the old springs is 26" from center pin to rear spring eye. But the rear measurement on the 76+ springs is 31".
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
74Wagonero

Post by 74Wagonero »

Stuka wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:18 pm The springs will get longer once they have weight on them. The 54" isn't a valid length.

Also, those posts are really pretty tough to get off. They are welded through the frame. The front mount can stay from what I recall, as both old and new springs have a 26" front eye to axle pin measurement, and assuming you can find a bushing that will fit the new springs and the post. The rear measurement on the old springs is 26" from center pin to rear spring eye. But the rear measurement on the 76+ springs is 31".
that's right, from center pin to front post it's the same measurement. regardless, PO only had the top leaf for reference. I COULD try and sell these and buy some shorter '74 springs but i figured I could benefit from the longer springs... and I already have em. Assuming these springs are a direct install on later models I just need that post position OR the position of the eyelet of the box since my shackles seem about stock length.

The old post does look tricky to get off as it's welded to the frame from the inside of the rails but it's doable.

I wish i had a '76+ around just for reference. anyone in the la area? lol

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

74Wagonero wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:56 pm
Stuka wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:18 pm The springs will get longer once they have weight on them. The 54" isn't a valid length.

that's right, from center pin to front post it's the same measurement. regardless, PO only had the top leaf for reference. I COULD try and sell these and buy some shorter '74 springs but i figured I could benefit from the longer springs... and I already have em. Assuming these springs are a direct install on later models I just need that post position OR the position of the eyelet of the box since my shackles seem about stock length.

The old post does look tricky to get off as it's welded to the frame from the inside of the rails but it's doable.

I wish i had a '76+ around just for reference. anyone in the la area? lol
It helps to add your basic location to your signature, then people would know if they are in the area :) You can find that while editing your profile.

If you want to use these springs without moving the front post, you will have to find a bushing that works. Then you only need to move the rear mount.

Otherwise you have to remove both. And yes, its certainly doable, people here have before. But man is it a pain. And then you need to source new mounts. Oh which there are companies that sell universal mounts. You just need to find some that will work and won't push the springs away from the frame.
2017 JKU Rubicon