Stock front and rear spring

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Kartboy1234

Stock front and rear spring

Post by Kartboy1234 »

Hey everyone, I have a 1990 Grand Wagoneer. Got it in December, installed a Howell EFI kit and got it smogged recently. I am now looking at springs and shocks.

What is everyone's recommendation for stock or +2" springs?

I was looking at the stock Dorman 97-404 front(7 Leaf) and Dorman 97-485 rear(5 Leaf) (Now back ordered). So I cant get the Dorman rears.

I also see the Crown Automotive J5362956 (5 Leaf) rear spring available, any feedback on it? Could pair it with the Dorman front spring.

I was also looking at the Rustys Add a Leaf, cheapest option to get back some of my lost ride height.

Rough Country 3" lift is also an option but I have heard bad things about the ride, though its not off the table yet.

Thoughts? I have seen the BJ's and TGW kits but really dont want to spend $2k on some new springs.

Been torn what to pick, have some Monroe shocks in my Amazon cart waiting. Would love some overall feedback. This will be a mainly onroad truck and probably not going crazy far distances.
Thanks
Mike.

candymancan

Re: Stock front and rear spring

Post by candymancan »

Stay away from crown theyre chinese unless they changed.

Dorman are Made in the usa by stanley springs. Some migjt be mexico i heard but my 97-485 were American.

I done it on my 90 back when it was stanley solo.. and now dorman selling them.

97-404 must be new.. i have 97-402. If 404 is a higher load capacity.. be prepaired for a rough ride.. 402 is already really harsh.

Stay away from Rusty add a leaf..that company is so fing full of BEEP. I bought both add a leafs front and rear.. gained 0 absolutetly 0 lift.. I called complained.. i can 100% garuntee they tested em on old saggy springs.. not new high quality springs.

I even talked to the owner who flat faced lied to me. I almost considered legal action and a charge back but i dropped it. At least the add a leaf does increase load capacity. But im considering removing mine on my 90 and putting em on my J10 instead which can use the lift on its 50 year old fron springs.. and the load capacity since i put 2klbs in it often

Rusty csn kiss and azz
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Looking online, apparently Stanley was a division of Dayton. The current Stanley Spring company does not make automotive leaf springs, as far as I can tell.

From 2020:
DaytonStanley (299 x 198).jpg
via the Wayback Machine. Gone today.

Maybe Dayton now? If you look at RockAuto, they sell both the Dayton and the Dorman springs for the GW. These have the same part numbers and weight rating, though the price is significantly cheaper for Dorman. No offering for the rears, only for the fronts. 5 leaf 960# 97372 $203 vs $137. 6 leaf 1045# 97380 $198 vs $123. 7 leaf 1335# 97400 $203 vs $92.

If you search the part numbers for the springs you are interested in, ie "97380 leaf spring" you will find several places offering these springs. Kinda suspect these all come from Dayton somehow and the manufacture and sourcing of them has been somewhat fluid in the recovery from the pandemic. Maybe the Daytons are the same spec as the Dormans but a switch from domestic to overseas production? Unlikely the sellers will tell you if they know. Dorman is like Crown or BJ's, a distributor of a collection of parts they either curate or commission.

Shipping will be expensive with these springs. If I wanted Dorman, I would ask my local friendly auto parts store if they can get them. Parts stores can get Dorman stuff very easily, usually. Possible they could be handled by their regular deliveries from the local warehouses, and save you some money on shipping. Ask if they will match the RockAuto prices.

Also, I'd probably go with Crown for the rears if that's all that's available. True it's likely Chinese origin but Crown is pretty good about monitoring the quality of what they sell, even if it's not the best. Crown sells through distributors (largest is Quadratec), unless you live in Massachusetts and can buy direct from their warehouse. If you have a problem with their products, you can call the warehouse and talk to someone in the USA.

You could go direct to the domestic custom manufacturers like Deaver or Alcan. This would assure you get exactly what you want, expert consultation on the sale, and best quality - at a premium price. Supposedly the BJ's lift kits come from Deaver.

You really want Monroes? IMO the regular production KYBs would be a much better choice, and the upscale KYBs (or better yet, Bilsteins) if you can afford it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Kartboy1234

Post by Kartboy1234 »

Sorry I had gotten the Dorman Spring number wrong 97-402. So @candymancan those springs ride pretty rough? I thought the 1990 Grand Wagoneer came with the 1400 lb capacity springs. Would the 1300 lb capacity front springs be prefered?

I will hold off on the add a leafs since im getting mixed reviews. Since the only springs available for the rear are the Crown I may go with those. Luckily the Crown rear and Front Dormans are available on amazon with free shipping.

I dont necessarily want monroes, just the price is right. I will look up KYB shocks and see how those look.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

tgreese wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:00 am Looking online, apparently Stanley was a division of Dayton. The current Stanley Spring company does not make automotive leaf springs, as far as I can tell.

From 2020:

Maybe Dayton now? If you look at RockAuto, they sell both the Dayton and the Dorman springs for the GW. These have the same part numbers and weight rating, though the price is significantly cheaper for Dorman. No offering for the rears, only for the fronts. 5 leaf 960# 97372 $203 vs $137. 6 leaf 1045# 97380 $198 vs $123. 7 leaf 1335# 97400 $203 vs $92.

If you search the part numbers for the springs you are interested in, ie "97380 leaf spring" you will find several places offering these springs. Kinda suspect these all come from Dayton somehow and the manufacture and sourcing of them has been somewhat fluid in the recovery from the pandemic. Maybe the Daytons are the same spec as the Dormans but a switch from domestic to overseas production? Unlikely the sellers will tell you if they know. Dorman is like Crown or BJ's, a distributor of a collection of parts they either curate or commission.

Shipping will be expensive with these springs. If I wanted Dorman, I would ask my local friendly auto parts store if they can get them. Parts stores can get Dorman stuff very easily, usually. Possible they could be handled by their regular deliveries from the local warehouses, and save you some money on shipping. Ask if they will match the RockAuto prices.

Also, I'd probably go with Crown for the rears if that's all that's available. True it's likely Chinese origin but Crown is pretty good about monitoring the quality of what they sell, even if it's not the best. Crown sells through distributors (largest is Quadratec), unless you live in Massachusetts and can buy direct from their warehouse. If you have a problem with their products, you can call the warehouse and talk to someone in the USA.

You could go direct to the domestic custom manufacturers like Deaver or Alcan. This would assure you get exactly what you want, expert consultation on the sale, and best quality - at a premium price. Supposedly the BJ's lift kits come from Deaver.

You really want Monroes? IMO the regular production KYBs would be a much better choice, and the upscale KYBs (or better yet, Bilsteins) if you can afford it.

Dayton stanley whatsver.. same company. Stanley and darton parts was stamped on my first set years ago. My 2nd set said made in PA same location as dayton. When i calldd they said they did have a contract with dorman.

As for shipping ? My 97-485 on amazon was free shipping.. for my j10.

1300lbs one were the factory ones i think 400 was factory. The 402 are upped models. My 402 also sot higher than most peoples stock springs. Due to the increase in weight capacity i believe.

402 also have the 2nd leaf under the eyelit. For extra support of the main spring.

I remember talking to the ceo of stanley/dayton parts about these springs for an hour. I called and he returned my message. They were new. And his spring guy decided to do the 2nd spring under the main. He asked me how theyre holding up. And he was pleased how i lost no ride height over time with them.

8 years later and i still lost no ride height.

My 90 weighs 5300lbs alone though. Thats wjy i got the higher load capacity my Jeep weighs a lot.

2nd pic is like 6-7 years ago i forgot exactly with the new springs on. And 2nd pic in the grass is a year ago.

Only thing i did was the add a leafs which did jack sht. And a 1 incj block in the rear to level out that illusion of the rear sitting lower due to the wheel wells sitting lower in the rear the body panel. 31/10.5/15. Mastercraft mxts.

My shocks are skyjacker blackmax shocks. I got those because theyre oil shocks.. helped a lot with the rougher ride. If you get 402 and add a leafs like i did.. youre going to Feel every rib on the road especially with mud terrains. I suggest against that.. stick with 400 or 402s but no add a leaf.. your teeth will thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by candymancan on Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Also would wait on the shocks, until you get the springs installed, so you get an accurate measurement eye-to-eye for ordering.
I have 4" arched spring lift on my '84 GW, which came to me this way with worn out Rancho adjustable shocks, and I went with Bilsteins. Had them in about 3 days after ordered from BJ's, but I am building my truck for primary road use, pulling camper and gear, with minimal off road.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

No problem with waiting and using longer shocks if you prefer. However...

Unless you extend the shock towers or put stop blocks on the frame, you need the factory length shock absorbers. Go the lift manufacturers' instructions that sell longer shocks (ie BDS) and they tell you to add blocks between the bumpers and the frame, to keep from bottoming (topping?) the longer shocks on compression. The frame bumper should stop the upward travel of the axle, not the shock absorber. Too long shocks will result in damaged shocks or broken pins or both. Just FYI.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Kartboy1234

Post by Kartboy1234 »

candymancan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:13 pm
tgreese wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:00 am Looking online, apparently Stanley was a division of Dayton. The current Stanley Spring company does not make automotive leaf springs, as far as I can tell.

From 2020:

Dayton stanley whatsver.. same company. Stanley and darton parts was stamped on my first set years ago. My 2nd set said made in PA same location as dayton. When i calldd they said they did have a contract with dorman.

As for shipping ? My 97-485 on amazon was free shipping.. for my j10.

1300lbs one were the factory ones i think 400 was factory. The 402 are upped models. My 402 also sot higher than most peoples stock springs. Due to the increase in weight capacity i believe.

402 also have the 2nd leaf under the eyelit. For extra support of the main spring.

I remember talking to the ceo of stanley/dayton parts about these springs for an hour. I called and he returned my message. They were new. And his spring guy decided to do the 2nd spring under the main. He asked me how theyre holding up. And he was pleased how i lost no ride height over time with them.

8 years later and i still lost no ride height.

My 90 weighs 5300lbs alone though. Thats wjy i got the higher load capacity my Jeep weighs a lot.

2nd pic is like 6-7 years ago i forgot exactly with the new springs on. And 2nd pic in the grass is a year ago.

Only thing i did was the add a leafs which did jack sht. And a 1 incj block in the rear to level out that illusion of the rear sitting lower due to the wheel wells sitting lower in the rear the body panel. 31/10.5/15. Mastercraft mxts.

My shocks are skyjacker blackmax shocks. I got those because theyre oil shocks.. helped a lot with the rougher ride. If you get 402 and add a leafs like i did.. youre going to Feel every rib on the road especially with mud terrains. I suggest against that.. stick with 400 or 402s but no add a leaf.. your teeth will thank you

Looks great, I decided to get the 97-400s and the Crown rear springs. I am keeping mine mainly stock except for some bigger tires or just all terrain tires. Good to know about the 97-402 being too rough and about the add a leaf, I was about to get the -402. As for shocks I found some monroes cheap on some autopart website, I will try those and see how they work and will upgrade at a later time.

Thanks for the help.

I will make an intro post at some point, ive been slacking in that way.