Early model truck tailgate hinge

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
omegaswitch

Early model truck tailgate hinge

Post by omegaswitch »

I'd like to get the tailgate back on my 66 Gladiator. I have the tailgate and the truck bed, but I'm missing all the parts in-between.
truck bed parts.png
specifically parts 9, 10, 11 ,12, 13 and 14. I can't find the hinge (11) or the pivot (9) anywhere online. Does anyone have a source to get them from? Or an alternative part from another vehicle that will work. The hinge looks pretty simple and I could fabricate that, but without seeing the pivot, I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like or how it works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1966 J2500, SBC 350/SM465/RangerTorqueSplitter/Dana 20, Dana 44 small knuckle front/rear.
All the rust in the world, except where it's rotten holes :(

tgreese

Re: Early model truck tailgate hinge

Post by tgreese »

You will find that these trucks have minimal aftermarket support - not enough of them were made. A wrecking yard or part-out of a rusty truck should provide the parts you need. Suggest you check the part-out vehicles here and at IFSJA in the parts forum. You can also post in their WTB (want to buy) forums. There are Jeep specific wrecking years, like J&W in Antelope CA. You could also look at car-part.com for some large related part that could lead you to a donor in your area.

The '62-73 parts book is online at the Tom Collins site. The design of the bed changed in '73 to make the tailgate wider and eliminate the chains. The parts you want may be the same in both styles of bed - check the parts book. If unchanged in '73, that would increase the pool of donors a whole lot.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
omegaswitch

Re: Early model truck tailgate hinge

Post by omegaswitch »

ok, Thanks for the information tgreese. I'll start looking for a donor vehicle.
1966 J2500, SBC 350/SM465/RangerTorqueSplitter/Dana 20, Dana 44 small knuckle front/rear.
All the rust in the world, except where it's rotten holes :(