Been Away, Ups and Downs, and a '65 Wagoneer

Area for General FSJ related chat.

tgreese

Re: Been Away, Ups and Downs, and a '65 Wagoneer

Post by tgreese »

Yes. "Ross" is a steering gear maker, just like Saginaw. These early J-series used one of two Ross designs, both shown in the '62-73 J-series parts book, free to read and download on the Tom COllins site. Illustration, Gr 11 - L 4 (group 11, plate 4). One type (like shown for the Jeep in your link) is the cam-and-lever type. The second is the worm-and-gear type, which looks like the newer version (not present in my older Motors manual). If you have not downloaded the parts book, you should - to me, it's the essential resource for your Wagoneer, and will tell you so much more than other obliquely related online listings.

Suggest you compare those drawings to what you have. If it's a cam-and-lever type, that's like the little Jeeps shown on the site you linked and you may be able to share some refurb tech, if not parts directly. If it's the worm-and-gear type, you'll need to be more resourceful.

In that case, I would look for a '60-ish Motors manual for either or both cars and light trucks, and see what overlaps with your Jeep. In earlier years, both Studebaker and Willys (and Crosley!) used the Ross steering in their cars. Possible some of your parts are shared with say, the Willys FCs, or Studebaker cars and light trucks? A Motors manual from the early '60s would show you that.

From you pictures, it looks like you have a bell crank, similar to the one in the link you shared. I don't see an illustration of this in the parts book unfortunately, but the components will be listed in the listings part of the book. You could either leaf through group 11, or you might find something using the alphabetic index. Not always easy, since you have to know or guess what name Jeep gives the part.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

W300

Post by W300 »

Glad to see that went to a good home, I've been watching it on Craiglist here for a while. That independent suspension looks crazy, look forward to seeing how the rebuild goes and how well it works!
1972 Wagoneer
360, TH400, D20, Limited Slip
PTO Winch

Topic author
Kowpie

Post by Kowpie »

W300 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:22 pm Glad to see that went to a good home, I've been watching it on Craiglist here for a while. That independent suspension looks crazy, look forward to seeing how the rebuild goes and how well it works!
Ya, I was watching it for a while myself. He finally accepted my offer. Thanks for the well wishes! Glad it was over there on the east-side, helped it survive with very little rust. Really decent fellow who I got it from. I felt bad when I hauled it away, he was looking a little sad.
'65 Wagoneer, 230 OHC, IFS, Column Shift T90/D20
'73 J4000, 6000#, 258, T18/D20, 33", full disc.
'79 CJ7, 304, T18/D20, 35", 4.56, SOA, shackle reversal.

230ohc

Post by 230ohc »

Kowpie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:07 pm
Yeller wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:25 am That is unique for sure. I can see how that would drive nice
I am hoping so. Right now it moves close to a half a turn before the wheels move at all. There is a LOT of play in the bellcrank and that funky dual inner tie rod end setup. I have had zero luck finding those items. Fabricating is probably in my future. I haven't fabbed on steering stuff before, seems a little intimidating since steering keeps you in your lane as you drive down the road with the oncoming fellow at a combined 100 mph! I've seen spherical rod ends used for this before but it has all been for off-road stuff.
230ohc wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:18 pm That thing is sweet, oh my! You've got all the neatest options except power assist. 3 on the tree? How fun
So 230ohc... by your handle one is to assume you know of these unique engines? Got any tips or places for knowledge and parts?
I do not, sadly mine was hurt when I got it and I put a Mercedes turbo diesel in it's place. The only original drivetrain I've got left is front solid axle. I am aware of one ohc engine rebuilder in California Santa Rosa area, but that was before COVID. I was quoted 8500
For a rebuilt motor if the core was good. So that's why Mercedes.

There are allot of crown parts, omix ada. They have some stuff, kaiser Willys is another one..

Go to library and get an old motor's auto repair manual from 1966 good info in there. .

Sorry, not much else that I know of.
1964 willys wagoneer
Om617 turbo diesel
Ax15
Dana 300
3.73 dana 27 front
3.73 dana 44 rear

230ohc

Post by 230ohc »

tgreese wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:49 am Mmm. If this car has any value, it's as an example of a super-rare optional configuration. Belongs to you - it's your right to do with it as you wish.

Also, how do you plan to use this Jeep? If you want a trail or overlanding Jeep, it seems like a poor candidate to start with.

Looking at the parts book, all these early J-series have Ross steering. The IFS steering has different part numbers for some pieces, but I suspect the IFS stuff shares most internals with other Ross steering equipped vehicles. The CJs with Ross steering have a Ross gear mounted inboard of the frame rail, and half-way between the firewall and the front axle. There is also a drag link from the steering gear to the bell crank, and a left and right tie rod from the bell crank to the knuckles. Many early CJ owners have repaired their Ross steering - as I recall, the main issues have been the pivot pin in the steering gear, and the bell crank bearings. Possible some of these CJ parts will work in the current vehicle.

The book also shows optional power steering for the 230 Jeeps, with a power ram and a valve body outside the steering gear.

JMO - I would not be too hasty to condemn any part of the original equipment. Maybe make friends with a machinist that could refurb or fab the worn parts of the Ross steering, as needed. Plenty of precedent for that in the CJ world.
I believe power assist was available with automatic trans, the clutch slave will interfere with drag link hydraulic valve.
1964 willys wagoneer
Om617 turbo diesel
Ax15
Dana 300
3.73 dana 27 front
3.73 dana 44 rear